Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

In the last two games :

Tenn. over Fla by 7 at home, Vandy over Fla by 6 at home.
Tenn over Kentucky by 18 at home, Vandy over Kentucky by 22 on the road.
I know that Vandy has to play really good to beat Tenn, but is it possible?
I believe that the schedule Ralph put forth to give the team confidence is paying off. The Kentucky win really surprised me, not that they won but by the margin.
I don't know if Vandy can stay with Tenn, but I think the pre-game noise will be higher than it has in years.

Tennessee beat NC State in their closed scrimmage to start the season.

NC State is the only solid team Vandy played in non-conference and they loss that game.

You see how that sounds?

Tennessee and Vandy is just another game. You can have at it with the theories, they ain’t beating the LadyVols on Rocky Top. We are not the same.

UConn should be enjoying play in the Big East. Good for you all.

Reactions: Lucy
In case ya'll didn't notice SEC WBB is a crazy world. What if our next chance for a ranked win comes against . . . Vandy?!?

Before our game on 1/21, Vandy plays Missouri and Auburn, so could certainly be ranked. Which would help us alot, if we beat them of course. Makes that game much more interesting.

In case ya'll didn't notice SEC WBB is a crazy world. What if our next chance for a ranked win comes against . . . Vandy?!?

Before our game on 1/21, Vandy plays Missouri and Auburn, so could certainly be ranked. Which would help us alot, if we beat them of course. Makes that game much more interesting.
Vandy is already ranked in the coaches poll.

Vandy is already ranked in the coaches poll.
Who would have thought that could be such good news for us. Now we have to hope they beat Mizzu and Auburn, and of course, we beat them.

Vandy and Oklahoma would be low rent ranked wins for sure, but who is KJH to complain about any and every ranked win.

Who would have thought that could be such good news for us. Now we have to hope they beat Mizzu and Auburn, and of course, we beat them.

Vandy and Oklahoma would be low rent ranked wins for sure, but who is KJH to complain about any and every ranked win.
Vandy has two Q 1 wins at Miss St and neutral court win over Iowa State. Most of the rest of their schedule was crap, but they won them all so it all relates to them at this time being a fringe NCAA team with a Net ranking of 46. No matter what they do in the next two games that game with us will be a Q2 because they are not going to be in the NET top 30 even if they win both games. Highly doubtful they would drop to 75 even if they lost both. So the game is determined and yes we must win. We also need at least one of these next two road games both are Q1 if we take them both watch us surge in the Net to at least 40.

Vandy has two Q 1 wins at Miss St and neutral court win over Iowa State. Most of the rest of their schedule was crap, but they won them all so it all relates to them at this time being a fringe NCAA team with a Net ranking of 46. No matter what they do in the next two games that game with us will be a Q2 because they are not going to be in the NET top 30 even if they win both games. Highly doubtful they would drop to 75 even if they lost both. So the game is determined and yes we must win. We also need at least one of these next two road games both are Q1 if we take them both watch us surge in the Net to at least 40.
I’m thinking that may be a little ambitious but definitely would ease us into the 40-50 range.

Tennessee beat NC State in their closed scrimmage to start the season.

NC State is the only solid team Vandy played in non-conference and they loss that game.

You see how that sounds?

Tennessee and Vandy is just another game. You can have at it with the theories, they ain’t beating the LadyVols on Rocky Top. We are not the same.

UConn should be enjoying play in the Big East. Good for you all.
You can never give credit where credit is due, can you. Your narrow mindedness is further on display. First, I said I didn't know if Vandy could beat Tennessee, but they could make it interesting. Second, your continued touting of the NCST game is ridiculous. A closed scrimmage is just that, closed. There are no rules, they can start and stop the game any time they want. It's a scrimmage, NOT a game. In a scrimmage its possible for the entire roster to play, as the coaches are evaluating talent and floor chemistry mixing current players with new players. Besides, were you there to observe? Vandy isn't as good as Tennessee, I know that and have acknowledged that. But you know what, they have a coach that knows how to do her job, knows what it takes to win, knows how to motivate her players. She is hard on them if they have further potential and will do whatever it takes to make them successful. As far as NCST, Vandy lost by 8 on the road, coming as close as anyone this year. They also beat Iowa State by 15. As I said, you just can't give credit where credit is due. Also, while in this mood brought on by you, you can dis UConn all you want, but even missing 5 players, you should be glad you don't have to play them this year.

Great day of basketball today with Kansas State vs Texas and Indiana vs Iowa as the headliners.
The Iowa vs Indiana game is in jeopardy due to weather, Indiana’s flight was cancelled last night and their scheduled flight this morning looks like it might be cancelled as well.

Reactions: Volfan2012
The Iowa vs Indiana game is in jeopardy due to weather, Indiana’s flight was cancelled last night and their scheduled flight this morning looks like it might be cancelled as well.
Texas @ KState game at 2PM should be a great game.
Yes weather is a problem this weekend.

Reactions: Lucy
It will likely be hard to continue shooting the three as well as Pao Pao (56%) and Hall (50%) have been doing so far, but as a team SC is shooting around 42% from the arc so far, what a difference from past seasons. The last 6-7 years teams have strictly played zone against SC because of 3 pt shooting deficiencies, the past 9 games teams are playing exclusively man to man vs SC which is not something they are used to seeing.

Interestingly this has not led to increased production from Cardoso yet but the other post players are benefiting thus far. SC needs to adjust how they are getting the ball to Cardoso now who should be taking 12+ shots a game but is getting far fewer. This needs to be figured out. And yes, Cardoso herself needs to make adjustments as well, she has been part of the issue, it seems she has not made the necessary adjustments to take advantage. The guards also need to get better at feeding her, the lob pass is being denied now.

It may seem like nit picking but as the season progresses if this isn’t fixed it will become an issue esp come tourney time or if the 3 pt shooting is off in any given game. Hall btw, has elevated her game the past three weeks to the point where she is becoming SC’s most dangerous weapon.

Last edited:
Reactions: djtee and mcannon1
A few of you opposing fan(s) picks to win the championship are in action today.
I expect to see a lot of the typical responses about these teams but until those bright lights come in a win or go home game there’s no way to determine the contenders from the pretenders.
Approx. 80% of these teams have capitalized off weak non-conf schedules.
Today is the opening weekend of the NFL playoffs so I won’t be watching any WBB today. I’ll be back tomorrow when the 8-time Nat’l champions take the court.
I see majority of the posters on VN and the SEC fan club on Twitter have the the Lady Vols as the underdogs moving forward in the upcoming SEC games. We on go mode.
Let’s GBO🍊.

I expect to see a lot of the typical responses about these teams but until those bright lights come in a win or go home game there’s no way to determine the contenders from the pretenders.
Today is the opening weekend of the NFL playoffs so I won’t be watching any WBB today. I’ll be back tomorrow when the 8-time Nat’l champions take the court.
I see majority of the posters on VN and the SEC fan club on Twitter have the the Lady Vols as the underdogs moving forward in the upcoming SEC games. We on go mode.
Let’s GBO🍊.
Actually UT is the fav in most of the remaining games.

Let’s GBO🍊.
Actually UT is the fav in most of the remaining games.

It will likely be hard to continue shooting the three as well as Pao Pao (56%) and Hall (50%) have been doing so far, but as a team SC is shooting around 42% from the arc so far, what a difference from past seasons. The last 6-7 years teams have strictly played zone against SC because of 3 pt shooting deficiencies, the past 9 games teams are playing exclusively man to man vs SC which is not something they are used to seeing.

Interestingly this has not led to increased production from Cardoso yet but the other post players are benefiting thus far. SC needs to adjust how they are getting the ball to Cardoso now who should be taking 12+ shots a game but is getting far fewer. This needs to be figured out. And yes, Cardoso herself needs to make adjustments as well, she has been part of the issue, it seems she has not made the necessary adjustments to take advantage. The guards also need to get better at feeding her, the lob pass is being denied now.

It may seem like nit picking but as the season progresses if this isn’t fixed it will become an issue esp come tourney time or if the 3 pt shooting is off in any given game. Hall btw, has elevated her game the past three weeks to the point where she is becoming SC’s most dangerous weapon.

I agree you can't play zone against SC you just can't. Also you can add Tessa Johnson to that mix give her space she will knock it down plus she can attack the basket to. Hall has been money and she also can attack the basket.

Reactions: Rooster1

VN Store

Back