Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I do have to admit what would happen if you ever meet a UConn team that has not been devastated by injuries. Oh, wait. we have played SoCar with a healthy team that's why the overall record is 9-3. And I am more and more amazed about how many times you bring UConn into a discussion. You're manifesting a serious inferiority complex like maybe you haven't gotten over being cut from JV or something.
The only thing devastated here is your ego. It’ll be 4 straight soon enough.

Baton Rouge, especially on a gameday nationally telecast event, is a really tough environment for a visiting team. That’s why they had won 29 straight there. The LSU starting 5 is final four good, but their bench is almost nonexistent. They got 4 points from that bench, both baskets were off balance “shots” that were just thrown at the rim in desperation and somehow went in, otherwise it’s zero points for their reserves. DelRosario is getting a little better, she grabbed some boards and altered a couple shots, LSU needs her to play more minutes, AR gets worn out late in games as do some of the other starters like Williams and Morrow. They all lost their wind and legs in the fourth. Some of them were gassed in the third.

You keep saying it like you hurting somebody feelings lol.. sound like a goofy going out out on a limb for a team that loss to Auburn just weeks ago lol.

And a bigger goofy trying to down Tennessee for games played without a player that’s better than every player on the court tonight lol.

I know you’re feelings hurt lol.

You tell ‘em, Boomhauer.

Reactions: glv98 and knoxvol52
They bringing the fan bus!! to Rocky Top for a reason.. the Lady Vols are in the driver’s seat!

SEC #1 vs #2

Hall vs Jackson
Johnson vs Powell
PaoPao vs Spear
Cardoso vs Tamari

These four matchups will decide the game on Feb 15th!
Powell ain’t backing like LSU pg!
Lets FGBO 🍊!
Kitts vs Puckett
Johnson vs Powell
Hall vs Jackson
Cardoso
vs Key
PaoPao vs Spear

They bringing the fan bus!! to Rocky Top for a reason.. the Lady Vols are in the driver’s seat!

SEC #1 vs #2

Hall vs Jackson
Johnson vs Powell
PaoPao vs Spear
Cardoso vs Tamari

These four matchups will decide the game on Feb 15th!
Powell ain’t backing like LSU pg!
Lets FGBO 🍊!
SC has been bringing a fan bus to Tennessee since Dawn got there. Took one to Duke and UNC also. In fact, they bring several bus loads.

That said, the Lady Vols are in charge of their own destiny. Good luck the rest of the way except when you play the Gamecocks.

SC has been bringing a fan bus to Tennessee since Dawn got there. Took one to Duke and UNC also. In fact, they bring several bus loads.

That said, the Lady Vols are in charge of their own destiny. Good luck the rest of the way except when you play the Gamecocks.
I’ve had a soft spot for SC since I saw their fans putting flowers at and taking pics with the Summitt statue on campus. The buses are good for growing the game, and I’m sure more SC fans will come than did with Vandy 👀

The only thing devastated here is your ego. It’ll be 4 straight soon enough.
Maybe. But again you will be playing a UConn team without 5 of their top 8 players. We will start our 1,3,4,9, and 10 player options. We will play hard and do all we can to win. You will see effort on both ends of the court and I will not be embarrassed by a loss. I am proud of our young ladies. I have seen too much life to have any ego attached to any game played anywhere. You will continue to embarrass yourself by proclaiming the 'excellence' of playing against outmatched opponents and touting your record with only 2 national championships and no undefeated seasons as your standard.

One thing I discovered last night that I hadn't been aware of as I don't watch LSU a lot. They have no bench. Got outscored 16 to 4 last night and 17 to 2 in the Auburn game. This doesn't bode very well for the SEC Tourney when you have to play every night. Their starters are effective, but playing 38 to 40 minutes a game should take its toll by season end. When Reese fouled out they folded quickly and were not the same after she got her third foul. Across the board SC wins making one more three and three more foul shots. Great game.

One thing I discovered last night that I hadn't been aware of as I don't watch LSU a lot. They have no bench. Got outscored 16 to 4 last night and 17 to 2 in the Auburn game. This doesn't bode very well for the SEC Tourney when you have to play every night. Their starters are effective, but playing 38 to 40 minutes a game should take its toll by season end. When Reese fouled out they folded quickly and were not the same after she got her third foul. Across the board SC wins making one more three and three more foul shots. Great game.
I joked with my partner that Reese fouled out so she could rest. I doubt that given her competitive nature, but when Mulkey is saying she’ll use timeouts to rest her players rather than subbing a larger part of my game plan would be drawing fouls and pushing pace.

For many years we enjoyed staying in Gatlinburg and busing over to Neyland. Only time I've seen adult beverages allowed on a school bus.

LSU's starters can compete with anyone in the country, just a steep drop off when they go to the bench...the few times Mulkey tried to sub she immediately back-pedaled on it bc the drop off was too steep...then she had no choice with the AR foul situation and SC puts it away...depth was the clear difference in the game...I don't particularly like either team, but hard to argue that it wasn't some entertaining basketball!

I agree and that is what i said LSU bench is to short, HVL is not a pg and Mulkey knows it so she is to blame for the poor pg play not HVL. LSU has a very good starting five so there is no reason for pg Angelica Velez to not get minutes. I understand she is a fr but sometimes you need to throw a player into ring.

Exactly..LSU gave the game away..

I disagree i don't they gave the game away LSU had there way in the first half on the glass. In the second half SC made adjustments and won the boards battle. You also can't give the game way by only playing 5-6 players against good teams you need a bench.

AR gets worn out late in games as do some of the other starters like Williams and Morrow. They all lost their wind and legs in the fourth. Some of them were gassed in the third.

I joked with my partner that Reese fouled out so she could rest.

You also can't give the game way by only playing 5-6 players against good teams you need a bench.
Looking at the box score, it wasn't completely the depth, it was also the fitness of the starters. I agree, LSU was gassed by late in the 3rd and Angel looked almost relieved to foul out. I've noticed fitness issues w her before. Morrow played 35 mins, HVL, FJ and Williams 38, 40, and 38. That's obviously too many, and they were nowhere near in shape for it. Del Ros played 17 but only as an emergency. She's baseline woefully out of shape.

But Pao Pao played 39, Raven 36, Kamilla 32, Hall 30. They were just in better shape for the heavy duty. To be fair, the mins SC got off the bench, esp the 10 fm Fulwiley, were huge, as were Feagin's 6 pt and 4 rebs in 14 mins. Of course Kitts, who carried them early, was terrific in her 22 starter mins. So it was both the depth but also the fitness of the core.

I still think if Angel doesn't foolishly remove herself fm the game, LSU would have hung on for the win.

Kitts vs Puckett
Johnson vs Powell
Hall vs Jackson
Cardoso
vs Key
PaoPao vs Spear

Lol you are dreaming Rocky Top is different! Spear, Jackson, Cardoso, and Johnson will be the best PLAYERS on the court if all are playing at 100%. Tamari Key is the X-Factor.
Just cause a player plays on a more successful team, doesn’t mean they are a better Individual player. And stats are misleading too before you go posting numbers.
Since Rickea’s return not including her recent setback with asthma and the Texas A&M game where it’s well reported most of the team was suffering from a flu bug, Tennessee is different.
Better bring them buses…

Johnson > Powell. I think Powell can score some points against SC backcourt but she will need to stay out of foul trouble in particular against Johnson.

Spear>PaoPao. PaoPao is not a better basketball player than Spear. Maybe shooting a better percentage but SC against competition can not run their offense through PaoPao.
Spear in the 4th quarter alone against Miss State made several passes that led to an assist or found a teammate that was able to make a second pass that led to a score. If Spear touched the ball as much as PaoPao then the LVs offense although it’s been scoring some points was be much more efficient.

Rickea > Hall. The biggest mismatch on the court between the starting 5. Rickea can go for 30.. see what Morrow and Reese did that wasn’t even on Rickea Jackson level.

Puckett > Kitts. Kitts is not a polished player offensively and defensively is really slight built. Puckett has had successful against better forwards than Kitts in the SEC already in Barnum at MS State and Dut/Reynolds at Florida.

Cardoso > Key. I think as early as this weekend Tamari Key may be in the starting lineup coming off the bye. Cardoso struggled against LSU undersized forward 5’10 Morrow. Against 6’6 Key the only reason the edge is slightly towards Cardoso is due to her endurance and elite coordination at 6’7.

Bench = SC

Watkins, Feagin, and Fulwiley are good players off the bench.
I do like Kaiya Wynn’s matchup defensively against Fulwiley. Kaiya Wynn is elite guarding ISO players and applying pressure full court.
Striplin and Hollingshead got to atleast match by having productive minutes when facing SC forwards off the bench. Tess Johnson and Tess Darby or Avery Strickland are equal.

Last edited:
Yo went off on the local fans for paltry attendance. They had 2400 for their win over Florida last night, and have struggled to get to 3K at home all year. Don't know if this will help them or hurt them Sunday; they'll be up against an NFL championship game. Even if they get a record 3K, it's not likely to be a "hostile environment" due to crowd enthusiasm. Good. Yo can start building attendance after we're gone. This game is huge for us, we need all the help we can get.

This makes me realize how lucky we are to still be getting 8 or 9K.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back