Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

True at this juncture. However, with women's tv rating rising exponentially, and that is where the money comes from for men's basketball, I imagine they will be in a bargaining position to get a much better tv deal.
I figure when they went with Mulkey they had a lot of booster backing for all the additional cost of salaries.

Probably not best to speculate about Lauren Betts circumstances right now and to wait until official information is released. That said, Close's emotional reaction and Rice's mentioning that it had been a tough week for the whole team (and one of them saying that others just couldn't,'t know how hard it had been) made it sound pretty serious.

Prayers for Lauren and her loved ones and friends around her. She's a beautiful, talented young lady with so much to offer, and hope she is hearing that often and that it helps.

This article shares some of her emotional struggles.

The being tall issue with Betts, I have went through with my daughter.

I'm 6'5" and she is 6"4" built like me the broad shoulders ..
For years she felt like the outcast because of her height and frame.

I finally told her doesn't matter what others think or says, you be happy with who you are.

The being tall issue with Betts, I have went through with my daughter.

I'm 6'5" and she is 6"4" built like me the broad shoulders ..
For years she felt like the outcast because of her height and frame.

I finally told her doesn't matter what others think or says, you be happy with who you are.

I recently watched the SC vs Mizzou men's game and one of their players proudly wears the number 75 as he's 7' 5" tall.

Too bad she couldn’t get a little help from some of her teammates. Glad she had a great game but I’m not a fan of celebrating non-victories.

I’m extremely proud of Jewel but I can guarantee you a competitor like her would much rather have had 15 points and a win.
Watched a little of the game over and the ball watching and standing and looking are just to much. A couple times we had three players inside for the rebound and one Ole Miss player and she got the ball. I don't know how much teaching it takes to learn to box out, but we still haven't learned the lesson.

Watched a little of the game over and the ball watching and standing and looking are just to much. A couple times we had three players inside for the rebound and one Ole Miss player and she got the ball. I don't know how much teaching it takes to learn to box out, but we still haven't learned the lesson.

Yep all the time. And not just boxing out, there is also a total lack of desire. I can’t recall this team ever committing a single foul on a rebound. I’m sure it’s happened but I couldn’t tell you when.

If you’re really committed to hitting the glass you’re going to have some rebounding fouls, some over the back calls or physical box out calls. My coach always said those were acceptable fouls and I agree.

Instead our posts have 0 fouls or pick up 3 offensive fouls trying to post up.

Really need our bigs to get physical, hawk the ball and go after it.

Anriel Howard is a player I think of often. Her rebounding ability was crazy and it was simply because she pursued the basketball. She went after every single rebound on every single possession and people still remember that. I recall she said that when she started playing as a kid she was tall and fast but had no coordination. Her coach or parent told her to just go get the ball and she made that her goal. Her job was the secure the ball for her team and hustle. Eventually her game came along a bit and she got herself a scholarship. She was never much of an offensive threat and her shot wasn’t good, but man could she go get a rebound and stick it back.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Glad she had a great game but I’m not a fan of celebrating non-victories.
Nothing wrong with this. i don't like players celebrating themselves when they're losing, like football players doing a sack dance when their down 3 touchdowns. But this is the program celebrating Jewel and she did have a great game. It's a 30 piece, doesn't happen that often and we want to encourage her to do it a whole lot more times.

Too bad she couldn’t get a little help from some of her teammates. Glad she had a great game but I’m not a fan of celebrating non-victories.

I’m extremely proud of Jewel but I can guarantee you a competitor like her would much rather have had 15 points and a win.

I have said since day one Jewel Spear was a number 1 option. She has done this for three years and led the ACC in scoring as a sophomore.

Thing about the response above is that when Rickea had the 31 pt and 19 reb performance against Florida St. most people on here were celebrating it as a non-victory for the team.

Rickea came back from injury and all of us myself included have talked about the teams record with and without Rickea. The difference is that I’ve always said Spear is a #1 option and that she’s played a major part in this teams success while others have went as far as saying this whole season is based on one player.

However, Jewel Spear has scored over 20 or more points in 4 games and 15 or more in 8 games.

If we are being straight up and really talking basketball, Jewel Spear is playing as well as any transfer at the halfway point of SEC play in her first season on Rocky Top.

In her first 7 SEC games, Spear is averaging 15.7 pts and shooting percentage is 53% FG, 37% 3PT, 83% FT.

The 30 point game against Ole Miss was huge and was the first time she really had majority of the offense ran through her on the perimeter.

To me this is just the beginning of people seeing the caliber of player Jewel Spear is on the big stage.

Last edited:
Tell Kim Mulkey that the 60's want their hairstyle and clothes back. I mean if you are an old lady trying to look young, you should ditch the 60's look. That is not doing it. 🤣
Reminds me of a blonde Malyn on Steele Magnolias, honey, you look like you have a brown helmet on your head 🤣

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back