Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

It surprised me that Sarah Strong took her official visit to SC for the Uconn game, the school where she has been considered a lean for quite some time. Do you think Geno saw her sitting behind the SC bench with her parents? He must have been grinding his teeth.

That one stung didn't it? Btw, I hope they leave that banner up forever, it never fails to get under the skin of people like you who have no reason to care what another team does at their own place. Except to find something to bitch about after their team gets a spanking. Maybe they should hang one for yesterday's game Maple, wouldn't that be something? It could say Four in a row!
My team hasn't even had their (latest) spanking yet and I laugh everytime I see that banner. But it's the Aja statue that gets me the most. Maybe someday, but in her 20s? Just embarrassing over reach on both counts, typical of trying-too-hard Dawn at that point. Funny thing is she doesn't even need that over reach anymore, maybe even regrets it.

It's sports, therefore plenty of reason to care about and bitch about what other teams do in their house. As I said the other day, the last jewel in the crown for SC and their fans is acting like they've been there before. You're the prohibitive overdog, please drop "Us Against the World" and own the position. Or don't, again it's sports, the fan rules are different. Why we love it!

Reactions: maple
It surprised me that Sarah Strong took her official visit to SC for the Uconn game, the school where she has been considered a lean for quite some time. Do you think Geno saw her sitting behind the SC bench with her parents? He must have been grinding his teeth.
One thing that struck me was Geno wasn't grinding teeth about anything. He was smiling and pleasant both in his in game interview and in the presser. He knew coming in what was going to happen, and maybe seems to be settling in with the fact his years of domination are over. Maybe he's made a decision about his future and feels at peace.

Also struck me yesterday that Paige's days as a dominant player are also gone. The talent level in WBB has shot up so far so fast and PB has been so injury riddled she now seems like a very good player, but not at the very top. That may change next year when I think they all come back for one more try at a whole team, but I doubt it. She's a metaphor for the UConn program.

Today's edition of the final truth is there is no truth (credit Boomtown Rats). Don't worry, even if its on video if you repeat the whooper enough it magically becomes "true".

So Nebraska now says "Why NO she wasn't hitting CC's infamous signature Can't See Me gesture after burying the game winner in her face! She was actually signaling "face guard defense". What a coinky dink!

Someone brought to light that Allison Feaster, Sarah Strong's mother played at Chester High in South Carolina and her father Danny Strong played at Great Falls High in South Carolina. It was also pointed out that Feaster played with the Charlotte Sting with Staley. I am guessing they knew all they needed to know before their visit. That's a lot of South Carolina connections as was pointed out.

Someone brought to light that Allison Feaster, Sarah Strong's mother played at Chester High in South Carolina and her father Danny Strong played at Great Falls High in South Carolina. It was also pointed out that Feaster played with the Charlotte Sting with Staley. I am guessing they knew all they needed to know before their visit. That's a lot of South Carolina connections as was pointed out.
If Strong goes to South Carolina, give them NEXT YEAR’s trophy as well! Tac, Edwards, and possibly Strong, coupled with what they have coming back! 😩🥹

If Strong goes to South Carolina, give them NEXT YEAR’s trophy as well! Tac, Edwards, and possibly Strong, coupled with what they have coming back! 😩🥹
Don't forget Mcdaniels! If Strong chose SC Maples would have a melt down (storrscentral and needorange would retire from the board). On a serious thought however, I'm getting the vibes that CGA is planning on retiring after next season. He wouldn't leave before PB, but he might leave with her.

That one stung didn't it? Btw, I hope they leave that banner up forever, it never fails to get under the skin of people like you who have no reason to care what another team does at their own place. Except to find something to bitch about after their team gets a spanking. Maybe they should hang one for yesterday's game Maple, wouldn't that be something? It could say Four in a row!
Truth hurts, I guess.

Maybe they can add a banner about how UConn’s 100th win in a row was against the Gamecocks.

I really don’t give a damn about how many times South Carolina has beaten us. A rising tide lifts all ships. And no team stays on top forever. South Carolina should own their dominance. Hanging a flag like that in the stadium is dumb. You have literal championships under your belt. OWN IT. Stop acting like being No 1 in the AP poll meant anything when the season ended early due to COVID. Respect that you’re BETTER than that as a program. You don’t need to hang your hat on the types of accomplishments that wannabe programs do.

UConn had years when they were the unanimous AP #1 to end the regular season. Doesn’t mean jack because they still lost in the tourney. Do I need to remind you one of those years is when South Carolina won it all?

Keep the banner up. It doesn’t make me angry. I just think it makes you look pathetic.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I'm getting the vibes that CGA is planning on retiring after next season. He wouldn't leave before PB, but he might leave with her.
That makes sense. I think maybe PB, Edwards and Geno all come back for one more time w Azzi to be the team everyone thought they could be, That gives UConn next season to get ready for the coaching transition.

Don't forget Mcdaniels! If Strong chose SC Maples would have a melt down (storrscentral and needorange would retire from the board). On a serious thought however, I'm getting the vibes that CGA is planning on retiring after next season. He wouldn't leave before PB, but he might leave with her.
Okay. :rolleyes: Dawn has out recruited Geno for multiple years now. Strong going to SCar at this point wouldn't even be shocking.

Also struck me yesterday that Paige's days as a dominant player are also gone. The talent level in WBB has shot up so far so fast and PB has been so injury riddled she now seems like a very good player, but not at the very top. That may change next year when I think they all come back for one more try at a whole team, but I doubt it. She's a metaphor for the UConn program.
I'm sure this would be a controversial opinion among UConn fans, but I didn't even think Paige was all that and a bag of chips in her freshman year. She was very good but just look at her freshman year compared to others we have seen in the UConn program and elsewhere. I think had she not have had so many injuries, by this point in her college career she would have been phenomenal. She would have easily have been on par (not in terms of scoring) with Clark. But instead she was just very good and then she got hobbled by injuries and now she's just sort of average. She has times when she's brilliant but it's not consistent at all. I don't question her heart, but you can see the frustration on her face when she's playing. Those shots that would have fallen all the time before don't fall so often anymore. Everything is so much harder for her.

Like you said, a metaphor for the whole program.

Truth hurts, I guess.

Maybe they can add a banner about how UConn’s 100th win in a row was against the Gamecocks.

I really don’t give a damn about how many times South Carolina has beaten us. A rising tide lifts all ships. And no team stays on top forever. South Carolina should own their dominance. Hanging a flag like that in the stadium is dumb. You have literal championships under your belt. OWN IT. Stop acting like being No 1 in the AP poll meant anything when the season ended early due to COVID. Respect that you’re BETTER than that as a program. You don’t need to hang your hat on the types of accomplishments that wannabe programs do.

UConn had years when they were the unanimous AP #1 to end the regular season. Doesn’t mean jack because they still lost in the tourney. Do I need to remind you one of those years is when South Carolina won it all?

Keep the banner up. It doesn’t make me angry. I just think it makes you look pathetic.
Rent free Maple. Look at all the time and effort and worry it has caused you, priceless. The banner stays.

I'm sure this would be a controversial opinion among UConn fans, but I didn't even think Paige was all that and a bag of chips in her freshman year. She was very good but just look at her freshman year compared to others we have seen in the UConn program and elsewhere. I think had she not have had so many injuries, by this point in her college career she would have been phenomenal. She would have easily have been on par (not in terms of scoring) with Clark. But instead she was just very good and then she got hobbled by injuries and now she's just sort of average. She has times when she's brilliant but it's not consistent at all. I don't question her heart, but you can see the frustration on her face when she's playing. Those shots that would have fallen all the time before don't fall so often anymore. Everything is so much harder for her.

Like you said, a metaphor for the whole program.
I hear you, and I'm no UConn fan, but I think what Paige is doing is still pretty outstanding. She's in the 94th percentile or better in field goal percentage, 2-point field goal percentage, 3-point field goal percentage, effective field goal percentage, and points per shot attempt - very impressive for a guard. She's also in the 95th percentile or better in assists, assist/turnover ratio, steals, and blocks(!). She's having career-best numbers in a lot of advanced metrics, too.

I hear you, and I'm no UConn fan, but I think what Paige is doing is still pretty outstanding. She's in the 94th percentile or better in field goal percentage, 2-point field goal percentage, 3-point field goal percentage, effective field goal percentage, and points per shot attempt - very impressive for a guard. She's also in the 95th percentile or better in assists, assist/turnover ratio, steals, and blocks(!). She's having career-best numbers in a lot of advanced metrics, too.
I think she will come back much closer to her freshman form next season takes a while to get over knee injuries completely. Almost certain she is not going Pro thinks she likes college to much and if all the injured players comeback strong they will be a very great team next year.

Lisa Bluder was pretty upset.

Heard some funny details on this today. Apparently Neb fans stormed the court and Iowa went into theatric overdrive, refusing to leave the court til the students were cleared. Heaven forbide there be a repeat of poor CC's near fatal encounter at Ohio State! So while they were waiting, they went ahead w the Nebraska presser, but with the understanding they'd give over to Iowa as soon as they came out of their protective crouch. They just didn't anticipate Bluder storming the barricades like a wild woman. Also much laughter about her whining about a flight to catch, like your charter will leave your ass if you're not on board at a certain time. Lisa needs a day off.
She has times when she's brilliant but it's not consistent at all. I don't question her heart, but you can see the frustration on her face when she's playing. Those shots that would have fallen all the time before don't fall so often anymore. Everything is so much harder for her.
Sadly you could be talking about Rickea the last few games. Fortunately for her, she has her games in Mexico and against USA in her bag so her draft stock hasn't fallen at all. I think PB stays, but if not it will be interesting to see if the W's view of her has changed.

I think the thing Paige has lost is the ability to take over a game, esp against elite competition. Also, she's never really been able to change her body and seems too skinny. Needs way more physical development.

Last edited:
The dumbest NV on this forum declaring SC the champions this year and next year when they haven’t won but two nat’l championships in their history is hilarious lol.

Heard some funny details on this today. Apparently Neb fans stormed the court and Iowa went into theatric overdrive, refusing to leave the court til the students were cleared. Heaven forbide there be a repeat of poor CC's near fatal encounter at Ohio State! So while they were waiting, they went ahead w the Nebraska presser, but with the understanding they'd give over to Iowa as soon as they came out of their protective crouch. They just didn't anticipate Bluder storming the barricades like a wild woman. Also much laughter about her whining about a flight to catch, like your charter will leave your ass if you're not on board at a certain time. Lisa needs a day off.
Iowa is really getting ridiculous now. They have such an unearned sense of entitlement (especially the fanbase). Clark is an amazing player and deserves her flowers.
Sadly you could be talking about Rickea the last few games. Fortunately for her, she has her games in Mexico and against USA in her bag so her draft stock hasn't fallen at all. I think PB stays, but if not it will be interesting to see if the W's view of her has changed.

I think the thing Paige has lost is the ability to take over a game, esp against elite competition. Also, she's never really been able to change her body and seems too skinny. Needs way more physical development.
I go back and forth on if Paige will stay. I think she really wants to be able to play a whole season with Azzi. And let's be real, she's already made her money from NIL, she doesn't really need to rush to the pro level.

On the other hand, maybe she just wants to be done with the college level in case she gets injured again.

Agreed 100% with the bold part.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Iowa is really getting ridiculous now. They have such an unearned sense of entitlement (especially the fanbase). Clark is an amazing player and deserves her flowers.

I go back and forth on if Paige will stay. I think she really wants to be able to play a whole season with Azzi. And let's be real, she's already made her money from NIL, she doesn't really need to rush to the pro level.

On the other hand, maybe she just wants to be done with the college level in case she gets injured again.

Agreed 100% with the bold part.
Paige is 100% coming back. I don’t see it any other way unless she wins a Natty this year

Paige is 100% coming back. I don’t see it any other way unless she wins a Natty this year

I think she should move on. With all the injuries they have had there is no guarantee she’ll play with anyone she hopes to.

Also risk of her having another injury at this level which would severely impact her future. If she’s going to have a pro career now is the time.

She has never gotten back to her level of play as a freshmen. Not even close to in the conversation for POY. Should never have won it as a freshman either.

VN Store

Back