Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

After a win Spurrier would often say, "God smiled on the gamecocks today". I could appreciate that quote as he didn't say God was responsible for the win.
What???? How much clearer could he say God is on our side? Win the game and say God smiled on us but that's not what it means? Asking and thanking your Deity/Creator for guidance, protection etc is one thing, but anything inferring 'favor' in a ballgame is offensive to me

Equally disturbing to me, but not surprising, is those scary So Car cultists saying it's ok for Dawn to say the actual offensive part - that anyone who feels differently has something wrong with them - bc it's a secret part of their culture we don't know about to say things like that. Therefore ok for them and them only to not be inclusive.

Maybe I'm too simple to understand "I said what I said but what I said didn't mean what I said".

What???? How much clearer could he say God is on our side? Win the game and say God smiled on us but that's not what it means? Asking and thanking your Deity/Creator for guidance, protection etc is one thing, but anything inferring 'favor' in a ballgame is offensive to me

Equally disturbing to me, but not surprising, is those scary So Car cultists saying it's ok for Dawn to say the actual offensive part - that anyone who feels differently has something wrong with them - bc it's a secret part of their culture we don't know about to say things like that. Therefore ok for them and them only to not be inclusive.

Maybe I'm too simple to understand "I said what I said but what I said didn't mean what I said".
There was an episode on Third Rock from the Sun years ago where the youngest alien boy was playing in a basketball game. The coach told them to pray to god that they win and the kid said, "The other team has already prayed." which really shows how stupid it is to bring a god into the conversation about sports. "I mean god allowed several children to be raped and killed today...but ...he allowed us to win the game." Seriously...that's where that really is? These "god" things need to stop. Staley went off in that direction yesterday. If your god gets credit for the good, then your god gets the blame for the bad.

There was an episode on Third Rock from the Sun years ago where the youngest alien boy was playing in a basketball game. The coach told them to pray to god that they win and the kid said, "The other team has already prayed." which really shows how stupid it is to bring a god into the conversation about sports. "I mean god allowed several children to be raped and killed today...but ...he allowed us to win the game." Seriously...that's where that really is? These "god" things need to stop. Staley went off in that direction yesterday. If your god gets credit for the good, then your god gets the blame for the bad.
I agree, just don't go there. OTOH, it is well within DS rights to go there if she wishes to navigate those tricky waters. But she already stepped far too deep with an insult to those who approach it differently from her. She has to realize the hypocrisy of that given her other very strong public standards.

It's a bit much... actually, a whole lot much...to call anyone who agrees with her overall, general sentiments a "SC cultist." I strongly disagree with Staley on many issues, and I'm not sure exactly what she meant by her remarks. In the broad theological sense, though, what she said makes perfect sense. Atheists and agnostics make similar comments expressing their views of believers all the time, and most religious folks don't seem to get personally offended. They may not like the person's views and may have a lesser view than before, but those views shouldn't come as any shock coming from people who say they regard religion as fairy tales.

Reactions: Ninjaneer
It's a bit much... actually, a whole lot much...to call anyone who agrees with her overall, general sentiments a "SC cultist." I strongly disagree with Staley on many issues, and I'm not sure exactly what she meant by her remarks. In the broad theological sense, though, what she said makes perfect sense. Atheists and agnostics make similar comments expressing their views of believers all the time, and most religious folks don't seem to get personally offended. They may not like the person's views and may have a lesser view than before, but those views shouldn't come as any shock coming from people who say they regard religion as fairy tales.
Not fair to judge a whole fan base, but if you see Twitter there is definitely a group of Dawn super fans who I would have a hard time not defining as cultish. And again, Dawn gives up her right not be criticized for an overtly non inclusive statement when she has made inclusivity her hallmark. It was an unforced error on her part. Not the end of the world as we know it.

Ahh, the Christian Nationalists are more than ready to fully discriminate against any none Christians. DS’s statement of “something is wrong” will be the basis for true (in their minds) Christians to full out discriminate against any religion other than their bastardized version of Christianity. Dawn’s statement is very concerning and dangerous.

Missouri not really into women's basketball anymore and bringing back a coach on a long losing streak for another season.

They have committed to this direction for some time. Just don’t see MIZZOU ever shelling out the dough to make a big change in WBB.

As I mentioned with Arkansas, I could see Molly Miller being a good fit there. Again, would have a lot of pre-established connections in that area having coached at Drury. With her name recognition one of those schools would do well to hire her.

I don’t think she’s at all right for the UT job, just too big a task for someone with too little experience.

Not fair to judge a whole fan base, but if you see Twitter there is definitely a group of Dawn super fans who I would have a hard time not defining as cultish. And again, Dawn gives up her right not be criticized for an overtly non inclusive statement when she has made inclusivity her hallmark. It was an unforced error on her part. Not the end of the world as we know it.
Staley had made some headline-grabbing non-inclusive remarks about other areas, so this is not exactly a first.
Ahh, the Christian Nationalists are more than ready to fully discriminate against any none Christians. DS’s statement of “something is wrong” will be the basis for true (in their minds) Christians to full out discriminate against any religion other than their bastardized version of Christianity. Dawn’s statement is very concerning and dangerous.
Discriminate against or discriminate between?

Reactions: glv98
They have committed to this direction for some time. Just don’t see MIZZOU ever shelling out the dough to make a big change in WBB.

As I mentioned with Arkansas, I could see Molly Miller being a good fit there. Again, would have a lot of pre-established connections in that area having coached at Drury. With her name recognition one of those schools would do well to hire her.

I don’t think she’s at all right for the UT job, just too big a task for someone with too little experience.
She certainly has tons more experience than Kara Lawson had, and Lawson had/has a contingent of supporters for the UT job.

God smiles on all of us. Christianity is about God's love and the grace we receive even if not deserved.

And you would instantly get over it if she became your new coach.

Christians by definition feel it is wrong not to believe in our God and are called to witness to others. Perhaps Dawn's statement, which could have been expressed differently, was her way of witnessing? If so I would tell her there are better ways.

FWIW 63% of our country's population identify as Christians.

VN Store

Back