Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I have not commented on the Watkins case because quite frankly it all seems quite strange and the facts have yet to be determined. I’ll keep my mouth shut on the situation until I know more like the rest of you good people. My initial reaction to the charges were just like everyone else’s in that it appeared to be very serious, which it may be still. Just waiting on clarification so I can make an informed opinion on the matter. This link is the only “info” I have to go on so far, and I will say I belong to the camp that believes nobody with charges outstanding should play until and if fully cleared.

As for the SC WBB team, I would imagine this may finally give Sonia Feagin the opportunity to show why she was the #4 player in her class. I have been a big advocate of her seeing more PT over the years, and unfortunately for Watkins this event may be Feagin’s opening. Could also mean increased minutes for Joyce Edwards, which I believe would be fruitful. Either way, just want the full truth to come out and let the chips land where they may. If Watkins was/is guilty of a crime than she needs to pay the appropriate price like anyone else.

CDS’s reputation as a tough disciplinarian should not be questioned yet imo, she has never waivered in all her years as a coach from being one of the strictest coaches in player accountability, one of the reasons her teams historically have always been so disciplined in these matters.

Last edited:
Athletes at the University of South Carolina are automatically suspended if arrested and charged. According to today's news Ashlyn's suspension has already been lifted. The victim ( Ashlyn's GF ) is now recanting saying she was not assaulted. A charge of kidnapping under SC law can be as nebulous as impeding someone's progress, ability to walk or move in a given direction. One local attorney and house member vows to introduce legislation to change the definition of kidnapping in our state. I would be surprised if this doesn't blow over. I know a little more about the situation than I'm willing to post.

Athletes at the University of South Carolina are automatically suspended if arrested and charged. According to today's news Ashlyn's suspension has already been lifted. The victim ( Ashlyn's GF ) is now recanting saying she was not assaulted. A charge of kidnapping under SC law can be as nebulous as impeding someone's progress, ability to walk or move in a given direction. One local attorney and house member vows to introduce legislation to change the definition of kidnapping in our state. I would be surprised if this doesn't blow over. I know a little more about the situation than I'm willing to post.
I have no inside info or reason to believe this situation is better or worse than the initial reports released. I do however believe that the discipline/law measured out here should be equal for any person regardless of their stature if it is shown a crime was committed. I will wait for further clarification before I spout any opinions. And I will be the first to say appropriate actions must be taken if a crime was committed. There can be no gray area here, in the end if a punishment/dismissal is the appropriate course of action it should be done quickly once the facts are known to all. No player is ever above the good of the team, and Staley will be the first to say this.

So far nobody outside of the participants really know what happened. Have you guys been to college? Have any of you gotten drunk from drinking in your dorm? This could be something simple like Watkins trying to protect an underage student, probably a freshman from leaving the dorm and getting into trouble elsewhere. In most schools drinking is prohibited in the dorms although in my day most students did it. We also did not leave the dorm to wander around campus where we could be discovered. It could be as simple as that, but as I said, we won't know until they decide to make it public.

I will wait for further clarification before I spout any opinions. And I will be the first to say appropriate actions must be taken if a crime was committed.
Thank you. That is a wise course of action and a prudent, responsible standard. Like you, and in contrast to a couple of “shoot, ready, aim” hanging judges who have conducted —between their ears—a trial, issued a conviction, and declared a sentence, I await full disclosure of relevant facts prior to forming an opinion.

What? Why? But if you must know, here is the clip of her mother. Why would you assume she came from a bad household before we know the whole story?

Because domestic violence is often generational. Also, I didn’t assume she came from a bad household. I said I worry that kids who are exposed to violence while growing up sometimes don’t see adults who deal with conflict in healthy ways. It was a general comment. I think you jumped to an incorrect conclusion about what my intentions were.

The answer SEEMS TO BE that she is not suspended by the University so she can attend classes.

However, she’s is suspended from practicing and other team related activities by the Athletic Department.
One of the best things about tracking this issue via Raoul is he’s got a reputation of sticking to business and vetting his sources. Can’t remember him getting caught with his drawers around his ankles…maybe once. Richard G. West has caught some off guard. After that? Ya know.

Another day another season ending knee injury

I hate to hear of any player, for any team, suffering a season-ending injury.

I also hate it when I have no idea who the player is without having to bounce off onto another Web search because there's only the player's team name, number and illegible signature shown to identify them.

Sometimes I have time to do the extra work, but more often after seeing a post like this one I just throw my hands up and say to myself, "Gosh. I hate it for you, whoever you are, and hope for whoever you are to have a quick recovery."

I hate to hear of any player, for any team, suffering a season-ending injury.

I also hate it when I have no idea who the player is without having to bounce off onto another Web search because there's only the player's team name, number and illegible signature shown to identify them.

Sometimes I have time to do the extra work, but more often after seeing a post like this one I just throw my hands up and say to myself, "Gosh. I hate it for you, whoever you are, and hope for whoever you are to have a quick recovery."
Sorry I should have done more. She's a sophmore guard, a 40-50ish recruit, played some last year, not alot. Not the crushing blow the post makes it out to be, but very unfortunate.

Here’s some good knee news. Good for Roni, bad for the rest of the SEC. Harmon and Booker, dang.

Interesting. She’s listed at 5’6. You don’t see any reason to critique this smallish guard having to transition to the SEC? Considering she’s a former Top 10-15ish guard which you stated reasons where other similar players weren’t “game” changers.
Booker is also a Top 10-15ish guard. How does she transition to the SEC?
Really promising freshman year. Still waiting to see if Texas is a true contender following their NCAA tourney performance.

Interesting. She’s listed at 5’6. You don’t see any reason to critique this smallish guard having to transition to the SEC? Considering she’s a former Top 10-15ish guard which you stated reasons where other similar players weren’t “game” changers.
Booker is also a Top 10-15ish guard. How does she transition to the SEC?
Really promising freshman year. Still waiting to see if Texas is a true contender following their NCAA tourney performance.
No, Harmon and Booker exist on a whole different level and have both proven themselves against top college competition. Madison Booker was one of the most heartbreaking of the previous staff's "almosts".

No, Harmon and Booker exist on a whole different level and have both proven themselves against top college competition. Madison Booker was one of the most heartbreaking of the previous staff's "almosts".

I don’t take nothing in that post serious. Being heartbroken is a joke. It’s clearly an aim to always elevate any player that signs elsewhere and heavily downplay the multiple Top 20 players currently at Tennessee in addition to the two Top 50 HS commits including the Top 10-15 commit Mia Pauldo being a mirror image of Rori Harmon. Mia and Rori rankings are nearly identical out of high school so to say they in Harmon and Booker exist on a whole different level is invalid. Talaysia Cooper and Ruby Whitehorn are ranked nearly identical to Booker out of high school and have yet to play a single game in a Tennessee jersey. Samara Spencer also similar to Rori right now at Tennessee has one of the highest accolades you can earn in the SEC as a former Freshman of the Year. If you can see the talent at Texas there’s nothing logical about dismissing the talent at Tennessee and incoming “game” changers.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back