Notes from Willie Martinez media session

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
On Will Brooks. His preparation. He's an everyday consistent player that's very detailed. Someone we're leaning on for leadership. His teammates respect him. He's been very consistent. The players are being led the right way.

We have multiple guys at multiple positions that we feel good about. We want competition and we've got that at every position. Our versatility allows us to move guys around. We're in a good place right now.

On the Star. Christian Harris and Boo Carter are taking the reps. We have others that have played the position.

On Jordan Matthews. Jordan has done a really good job. It really started in the spring. You could see the improvement and confidence. He's had a tremendous summer. He's a smart player.

On using ipads on the sidelines. We're getting used to it. It's easier to show a picture of something instead of drawing it on the board. It's going to be a good thing for all of us.

I love the group. I love the room. I think it's one of the best groups I've ever been around in my career.

It's nice we got four turnovers today. The playmaking on the ball, actually catching it. They're having fun.

On Jermod McCoy. He's a great teammate. High character. He's very competitive and is a playmaker. He's one of the buys that got one of the turnovers today.

On Kaleb Beasley. You can see the playmaking ability he had when he was in high school. He's gotten better each day.

On how Chris Brazzell has challenged defensive backs. His speed and competitiveness. Plays with a lot of fire and energy. He's making us better.

On Boo Carter. He's a really good player. So talented. He can play a lot of positions. Has athleticism, competitiveness and love for the game. He's going to compete on every play.

On Will Brooks. His preparation. He's an everyday consistent player that's very detailed. Someone we're leaning on for leadership. His teammates respect him. He's been very consistent. The players are being led the right way.

We have multiple guys at multiple positions that we feel good about. We want competition and we've got that at every position. Our versatility allows us to move guys around. We're in a good place right now.

On the Star. Christian Harris and Boo Carter are taking the reps. We have others that have played the position.

On Jordan Matthews. Jordan has done a really good job. It really started in the spring. You could see the improvement and confidence. He's had a tremendous summer. He's a smart player.

On using ipads on the sidelines. We're getting used to it. It's easier to show a picture of something instead of drawing it on the board. It's going to be a good thing for all of us.

I love the group. I love the room. I think it's one of the best groups I've ever been around in my career.

It's nice we got four turnovers today. The playmaking on the ball, actually catching it. They're having fun.

On Jermod McCoy. He's a great teammate. High character. He's very competitive and is a playmaker. He's one of the buys that got one of the turnovers today.

On Kaleb Beasley. You can see the playmaking ability he had when he was in high school. He's gotten better each day.

On how Chris Brazzell has challenged defensive backs. His speed and competitiveness. Plays with a lot of fire and energy. He's making us better.

On Boo Carter. He's a really good player. So talented. He can play a lot of positions. Has athleticism, competitiveness and love for the game. He's going to compete on every play.
"I think it's one of the best groups I've ever been around in my career." WOW! You don't hear that from a coach very often.......

Last edited:
"I think it's one of the best groups I've ever been around in my career." WOW! You don't hear from a coach very often.......
Definitely not trying to cover his butt going in to the season. Moving parts within units still requires playing together to learn what triggers 3-4 other guys reads. But there is ZERO correlation to last years room.

Definitely not trying to cover his butt going in to the season. Moving parts within units still requires playing together to learn what triggers 3-4 other guys reads. But there is ZERO correlation to last years room.
He probably retires after this year or next. He’s not worried about covering his behind right now.

If the defensive back are just decent or above average , this will be a good year. We’re used to seeing games lost because the d-backs can’t cover. If that changes, our defense will be very good.
We don’t need a lot of interceptions or pass breakups.
just try to keep receivers in front and not commit a lot of PI’s.

Reactions: Volfan1000

Interesting that he’s the CB coach, while Banks coaches Safety and Star…yet Martinez discusses Carter, Harrison, Brooks, and Brazzell, but not Ricky Gibson…one of his starting CBs.

I know this is all a product of the questions he’s asked, but strange that the media asked him about so many players who aren’t in his position group and didn’t ask about one if his starters.

Interesting that he’s the CB coach, while Banks coaches Safety and Star…yet Martinez discusses Carter, Harrison, Brooks, and Brazzell, but not Ricky Gibson…one of his starting CBs.

I know this is all a product of the questions he’s asked, but strange that the media asked him about so many players who aren’t in his position group and didn’t ask about one if his starters.

I think Martinez coaches the entire backfield, even though that supposedly isn't the case. The safeties and corners have had a lot of the same tendencies in coverage.

CWM's job is on the line this season.

Difficult to tell how good of a coach he is. The Vols have not had enough SEC speed in the defensive backfield since he got back. In some ways, he has done a good job covering for some deficiencies. As they recruit better athletes for that position, it will be easier to evaluate his success.

Yep, could go out the door, but if he totally transitions the positions with his purge and reload in one season, he might get CB Coach of the decade. Bet his top end detractors already have their counter attack in the works based on timeline alone or playing the blind hog card. Might have to play my Kreskin card on this one, IF IF IF growth is obviously Jimmy’s and Joe’s related.

Last edited:
WM may retire at this seasons end, I don't think he is worried at all about job security . I don't believe his positive comments about his group is all bravado, doesn't need it to be. I'm hoping you're be Wishing for him to stay a few more years at the seasons end.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back