November's getting harder

Exfix

Don't look now, but EVERYONE in the SEC (except maybe Missouri) is making a play to be competitive. Just look at our division:

Florida and Georgia: Always a contender. This will not change.

South Carolina: Will probably be good as long as Spurrier stays. The man is 68 but says he has no plans to retire.

Vandy: Like Franklin or not, he's doing a hell of a job at a school that has always been a loser. They are no longer an easy November game and it looks like Franklin is committed to stay.

Kentucky: Projected top 15 class under Stoops? We just lost a potential recruit to them (Cory Johnson), and I never thought I'd say that. If this keeps up in a couple years they may also be a tough out. I would wager things cool off for them after another terrible SEC season.

Missouri: When they fire Pinkel this year, expect an upgrade at head coach and maybe more competitive recruiting/football.

SEC West: LSU, aTm, Bama are tough. Ole Miss is picking it up. Mullen is doing a decent job at MSU. Auburn has a boatload of talent and now maybe a coach. Not sure Bielema's Bigwhatever football will translate but they probably won't be an easy out.

UT: I truly believe Butch and his staff are the real deal. Recruits do too apparently. Looking at our roster, we are supposed to have talent. Maybe Butch can make a bowl game and keep the momentum going. UT is on the way back, but the road just keeps getting tougher every year in the SEC. By 2015 there may not be a single easy game on the schedule. If Butch wins double digit games by then he and his staff deserve a massive raise and extension.

As long as Butch's blue print keeps building brick by brick...we own the EAST and make the west dread a game with Tennessee any month of the season :rock:

November IS getting harder!

For Vandy and Kentucky! Boom! Quit being scared of the annual doormats. The last 2 years were just research; you know, "know your enemy."

Stand up and show some Big Orange Pride and stop giving Candy and Kentucky fans material to make themselves feel like they are in the same universe as UT

Reactions: 2 people
Vandy: Like Franklin or not, he's doing a hell of a job at a school that has always been a loser. They are no longer an easy November game and it looks like Franklin is committed to stay.

I'll give him credit when Vandy beats a team they weren't supposed to. He's built his "cred" on bad teams. Of his 15 wins in 2 seasons, only 3 have been over teams that made bowls: 2011 was Wake Forest, who lost their bowl game and ended 6-7, and last year Ole Miss who won their bowl game to end 7-6 and over NC State in the Music City Bowl, who ended 7-6.

The combined record of the teams he's beaten for his 15 wins is 63-118, and includes 2 bad FCS teams.

I get it's Vandy and it's great they finally wised up and scheduled correctly, but I'm not about to say he's building them into a power when they've yet to beat anyone worth much yet.

Reactions: 1 person
fulmers success he inherited good players from Majors team.. done well for a while .. recruited well in the 90's. ten demise last 10 years is lack coaching And lack recruiting. looks like Ten has a good coaching staff and is recruiting good. they realize they will only be as good as their players. ten is moving on up. go vols..

Kentucky will be on probation in a couple of years. They are asking those that go to corrupt arena to kick in for football now. They don't have a stadium, facilities, or tradition. How do you think they are getting those commits?

I'll give him credit when Vandy beats a team they weren't supposed to. He's built his "cred" on bad teams. Of his 15 wins in 2 seasons, only 3 have been over teams that made bowls: 2011 was Wake Forest, who lost their bowl game and ended 6-7, and last year Ole Miss who won their bowl game to end 7-6 and over NC State in the Music City Bowl, who ended 7-6.

The combined record of the teams he's beaten for his 15 wins is 63-118, and includes 2 bad FCS teams.

I get it's Vandy and it's great they finally wised up and scheduled correctly, but I'm not about to say he's building them into a power when they've yet to beat anyone worth much yet.

I didn't say power. You have to respect what is going on there after years of absolutely sucking. They did whip our a$$ last year.

fulmers success he inherited good players from Majors team.. done well for a while .. recruited well in the 90's. ten demise last 10 years is lack coaching And lack recruiting. looks like Ten has a good coaching staff and is recruiting good. they realize they will only be as good as their players. ten is moving on up. go vols..

Wtf? Some people just.......nevermind. You all know what I'm saying

Vandy's schedule for last year and this was/is very weak. 2014 will be much harder. If, a big if, Franklin is smart, he will take advantage of those easy schedules to help him get a better job after this season. His value as a coach will drop like an anchor after the 2014 season.

Don't look now, but EVERYONE in the SEC (except maybe Missouri) is making a play to be competitive. Just look at our division:

Florida and Georgia: Always a contender. This will not change.

South Carolina: Will probably be good as long as Spurrier stays. The man is 68 but says he has no plans to retire.

Kentucky: Projected top 15 class under Stoops? We just lost a potential recruit to them (Cory Johnson), and I never thought I'd say that. If this keeps up in a couple years they may also be a tough out. I would wager things cool off for them after another terrible SEC season.

Missouri: When they fire Pinkel this year, expect an upgrade at head coach and maybe more competitive recruiting/football.

SEC West: LSU, aTm, Bama are tough. Ole Miss is picking it up. Mullen is doing a decent job at MSU. Auburn has a boatload of talent and now maybe a coach. Not sure Bielema's Bigwhatever football will translate but they probably won't be an easy out.

UT: I truly believe Butch and his staff are the real deal. Recruits do too apparently. Looking at our roster, we are supposed to have talent. Maybe Butch can make a bowl game and keep the momentum going. UT is on the way back, but the road just keeps getting tougher every year in the SEC. By 2015 there may not be a single easy game on the schedule. If Butch wins double digit games by then he and his staff deserve a massive raise and extension.

As far as Vandy is concerned. Franklin will coach Vandy to another good season or a great season from their standards. Once their schedule get rougher, he will bail out to Iowa, Washington, Va. Tech, etc.

At that point, their schedule will be harder and their coach will be gone. Also, they beat us with Dooley at the helm. That won't happen again.

Once they begin to play LSU, A & M, and if they ever get a more difficult non conference schedule, they will falter quickly.

As far as Ky. is concerned. Their coach said he wanted them to be "Good" Which means competitive. They are not striving to be "Great"

As far as USC is concerned. Once Spurrier leaves, they will have to get another great coach, or they will begin to falter. Other colleges will be able to get high school kids from South Carolina, if they don't get a homerun hire.

The East will always be Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, then everyone else.

Its still pretty impressive for a team that's literally won 2-3 games a year for the past 30 yrs.
They beat us pretty bad last year with one of the best offenses UT has ever had. And we generated what, Like 13 points? What's most impressive about it is, is that Franklin is doing it with scrubs. They also just about beat USCe last year. And if I remember correctly, they probably did if not for a few bad calls by the refs.

Last edited:
Vandy's schedule for last year and this was/is very weak. 2014 will be much harder. If, a big if, Franklin is smart, he will take advantage of those easy schedules to help him get a better job after this season. His value as a coach will drop like an anchor after the 2014 season.

I don't understand why Vol fans can't accept that vandy isn't the same vandy anymore. As of 2012 their program was in better shape than ours. Hopefully Butch changes that.

I don't understand why Vol fans can't accept that vandy isn't the same vandy anymore. As of 2012 their program was in better shape than ours. Hopefully Butch changes that.

Dooley couldn't develop the talent he had. He recruited well but also couldn't coach during the game or draw up a viable game plan. Then there was Sal and his 3-4. CBJ has a history of developing talent and being successful with a rational style of play. He can spot unappreciated talent. The first draft choice this year was a recruit of his while at Central Michigan. You really think that Vandy was good enough to score 41 points under any other DC in the SEC or unless the players just gave up because they were angry at Sal's always screaming insults at them? Not exactly the kind of motivation that builds a team or builds morale. How many games did Vandy win last year against teams with winning records? The Vols had far more talent last year than is evident from their play and Vandy played largely on enthusiasm, which had been torn out of the Vols.

Dooley couldn't develop the talent he had. He recruited well but also couldn't coach during the game or draw up a viable game plan. Then there was Sal and his 3-4. CBJ has a history of developing talent and being successful with a rational style of play. He can spot unappreciated talent. The first draft choice this year was a recruit of his while at Central Michigan. You really think that Vandy was good enough to score 41 points under any other DC in the SEC or unless the players just gave up because they were angry at Sal's always screaming insults at them? Not exactly the kind of motivation that builds a team or builds morale. How many games did Vandy win last year against teams with winning records? The Vols had far more talent last year than is evident from their play and Vandy played largely on enthusiasm, which had been torn out of the Vols.

All of what you are saying may be true but has nothing to do with my original point that everyone, Vandy included, is better. The line is a pick em in Vegas right now for the vandy vols game. This is reality.

All of what you are saying may be true but has nothing to do with my original point that everyone, Vandy included, is better. The line is a pick em in Vegas right now for the vandy vols game. This is reality.

Better than their usual 2-4 wins? Sure. Better doesn't always equate to good. How do you think Vandy would fare this coming season with the Vols' schedule? Piss poor. It wouldn't look impressive. This is reality? More a case of buying into the shiny skin of the apple and not bothering to look check for worms. Is everyone better? Last year UF had the #2 defense in the SEC but lost 6 on that side of the ball. Kentucky? They might be better but not much. Remember, they have to play some of those SEC that are better.

I didn't say power. You have to respect what is going on there after years of absolutely sucking. They did whip our a$$ last year.

So? We sucked last year, and were still being coached by the worst head coach in history. Put it another way, that was their best team in 50 years and one of our worst.

Pardon me if I fail to be impressed by that. And if he's so great, why did he lose to Dooley in 2011?

I don't understand why they impress you so much; as I pointed out, Franklin has beaten ZERO good teams, and got extremely lucky last with the schedule. They got a horrible Auburn team at home, and played Miizzo without Franklin at QB (and still barely won).

Plus Jones has already beaten Franklin with Big East talent.

Better than their usual 2-4 wins? Sure. Better doesn't always equate to good. How do you think Vandy would fare this coming season with the Vols' schedule? Piss poor. It wouldn't look impressive. This is reality? More a case of buying into the shiny skin of the apple and not bothering to look check for worms. Is everyone better? Last year UF had the #2 defense in the SEC but lost 6 on that side of the ball. Kentucky? They might be better but not much. Remember, they have to play some of those SEC that are better.

Do you really think Florida won't be really good again? And if 9 wins and that curb stomping of UT last year doesn't change your perspective I'm not sure what will.

Do you really think Florida won't be really good again? And if 9 wins and that curb stomping of UT last year doesn't change your perspective I'm not sure what will.

Please learn to read. You said they were all getting better. I did not say UF would not be good. I suggested that they would not be better.

You don't get it. You are buying what James Franklin is selling. Vandy is and always will be Vandy. Our worst down cycle in history just so happened to occur simultaneously with their greatest stretch in the 100+ year history of their sub-orange existence and they caught us with a couple of haymakers. End of story. Neyland still holds 102, our girls still smoke theirs, we still don't require geniuses to play football, they are still called the Commodores, and we are still UT. The end.

Last edited:

Take away Oregon and Vandy's schedule is very similar to UT's, isn't it? The SEC East is the same for both. Vandy goes to aTm and UT goes to Bama. That's a wash. UT hosts Auburn and Vandy opens with Ole Miss. That's pretty even as well.

For those talking about Vandy not beating anyone worth a crap last year, keep in mind, it's Vandy.

If UT were to go 7-5 this year, most on here will be jumping for joy about how UT is back and that Butch gets it. Even though, UT would most likely get to 7 wins without beating any team of note:

APSU
WKU
S
S. Alabama
Missouri
Auburn
Vandy
UK

VN Store

Back