'25 NV OL Douglas Utu (Oregon commit)

Didnt realize he was rated 8th best player in the country by Rivals. Not 8th best OT, 8th best player. CJH is bigtime for 2026.
We have 118 pages for David Sanders and 11 for Utu and they seem like very similar prospects.
When the spread is vast between #8, #13, #101, and #280, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Speculating here, but I think the #8 ranking was probably based on the idea of him being an OT at the next level. Where it's looking more and more like he'll slide inside, his ranking will likely take a bit of hit as those guys just aren't viewed as valuable as tackles.

Didnt realize he was rated 8th best player in the country by Rivals. Not 8th best OT, 8th best player. CJH is bigtime for 2026.
We have 118 pages for David Sanders and 11 for Utu and they seem like very similar prospects.
Utu reminds me very much of Troy Fautanu. From the same area, played at Wash St. Slated to start at RT for the Steelers as a rookie.

The fact that we got a kid of his caliber but he’s slightly overshadowed by an even higher rated kid we are likely getting… it all bodes very well for us.

When the spread is vast between #8, #13, #101, and #280, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Speculating here, but I think the #8 ranking was probably based on the idea of him being an OT at the next level. Where it's looking more and more like he'll slide inside, his ranking will likely take a bit of hit as those guys just aren't viewed as valuable as tackles.
What makes you say he is likely to slide inside? I know he is listed at 6'4 on his profile but a rivals update said he is close to 6'6. That makes me think tackle.

What makes you say he is likely to slide inside? I know he is listed at 6'4 on his profile but a rivals update said he is close to 6'6. That makes me think tackle.
Could be a feet thing. There are lots of 6-4, 6-6 guards tackle is a lot more about lateral movement. But depending on system some guards do a lot of pulling. In CJH system it seems like they mostly recruit Tackles and move them inside. We seem to recruit g/c and t/g if that makes sense. This staff overall tends to seem to be like that recruiting versatile guys at almost every position. Most of our DB's can play Safety, Star and Corner. Most of our WR's can go inside or outside. We don't really recruit SDE's and WLB's we recruit edge guys who could convert to downlinemen and DT's that could play outside. it seems to be the trend really. I think Squirrel and Hyatt are the only full on slot WR's we have had during his tenure. Most of our offensive linemen can play multiple positions and think that's by design. Also BTW most of the big 3 recruiting sites have him listed as IOL 247, ON3, both have him at 6'4 and over 310 IOL. ESPN and rivals have him at 6'6 OT under that weight. Maybe that's what had them conflicting? SI interestingly, I only see them mention him as an OL but they compare him to OT's. Another interesting thing is his height and weight don't match up on any of the sites they either disagree on his height or weight and have him either 6-4 or 6-6 and anywhere from 285-317 or in between. the ones that have him heavier have IOL the ones that have him lighter have him at 305 or less.

measurements listed
ON3 6-4 315 guard
ESPN 6-6 285 Tackle
247 6-4 317 guard
Rivals 6-6 305 Tackle
SI couldn't find any measurements listed on their site anywhere

Last edited:
Could be a feet thing. There are lots of 6-4, 6-6 guards tackle is a lot more about lateral movement. But depending on system some guards do a lot of pulling. In CJH system it seems like they mostly recruit Tackles and move them inside. We seem to recruit g/c and t/g if that makes sense. This staff overall tends to seem to be like that recruiting versatile guys at almost every position. Most of our DB's can play Safety, Star and Corner. Most of our WR's can go inside or outside. We don't really recruit SDE's and WLB's we recruit edge guys who could convert to downlinemen and DT's that could play outside. it seems to be the trend really. I think Squirrel and Hyatt are the only full on slot WR's we have had during his tenure. Most of our offensive linemen can play multiple positions and think that's by design. Also BTW most of the big 3 recruiting sites have him listed as IOL 247, ON3, both have him at 6'4 and over 310 IOL. ESPN and rivals have him at 6'6 OT under that weight. Maybe that's what had them conflicting? SI interestingly, I only see them mention him as an OL but they compare him to OT's. Another interesting thing is his height and weight don't match up on any of the sites they either disagree on his height or weight and have him either 6-4 or 6-6 and anywhere from 285-317 or in between. the ones that have him heavier have IOL the ones that have him lighter have him at 305 or less.

measurements listed
ON3 6-4 315 guard
ESPN 6-6 285 Tackle
247 6-4 317 guard
Rivals 6-6 305 Tackle
SI couldn't find any measurements listed on their site anywhere
He is a dominant RIGHT TACKLE for Bishop Gorman.

If he does play guard it’s not because he couldn’t play tackle.

And he’s probably 6’5

He is more physically developed than Sanders at this point in their careers.

Both will play in the NFL

I have been excited about this commitment ,he will become a great player at Tennessee and help establish a pipeline to Bishop Gorman (I hope)
Tillman already opened that up and now Utu is reinforcing that connection.

Bishop Gorman is a great program that I’m glad has built an affinity toward Tennessee 🇺🇸.

We’re also after a DT for 2026 that’s impressively strong. All-American wrestler to boot at BG.

He is a dominant RIGHT TACKLE for Bishop Gorman.

If he does play guard it’s not because he couldn’t play tackle.

And he’s probably 6’5
Tackle in college is not the same as in high school. I am not saying he can't just saying why it is he might be projected as a guard.

But, for the sake of fun. You say he is a dominant RIGHT tackle in high school.. who is on the left? Is their QB left-handed or something? Is he gonna be a LT this season? if he is stuck on the right side whoever is on that left side must be a beast.

Sure, case closed, I mean it's impossible he could grow 2 inches and I'm sure they have thoroughly evaluated his talent in the what 1-2 hours they saw him at a camp. I don't claim to be a great talent evaluator but even our coaches would say they are open to the possibilities. So what team you a talent evaluator for?

Sure, case closed, I mean it's impossible he could grow 2 inches and I'm sure they have thoroughly evaluated his talent in the what 1-2 hours they saw him at a camp. I don't claim to be a great talent evaluator but even our coaches would say they are open to the possibilities. So what team you a talent evaluator for?
Dude. The coaches are currently recruiting him as an interior lineman. Currently. That’s just a factual piece of information. Obviously that can change. Obviously no, i am not a talent evaluator, which is why I sited by source of information “coaches at UT”

Tackle in college is not the same as in high school. I am not saying he can't just saying why it is he might be projected as a guard.

But, for the sake of fun. You say he is a dominant RIGHT tackle in high school.. who is on the left? Is their QB left-handed or something? Is he gonna be a LT this season? if he is stuck on the right side whoever is on that left side must be a beast.
Gorman Offensive Line

Good points and good questions.
Click on that link and literally those questions can be answered within 1 minute of that video.

Bishop Gorman isn't your normal High School.
They get the best of their entire state and then some to go there

Gorman Offensive Line

Good points and good questions.
Click on that link and literally those questions can be answered within 1 minute of that video.

Bishop Gorman isn't your normal High School.
They get the best of their entire state and then some to go there
So left-handed QB. I think everyone in these forums knows what bishop Gorman is.. does not change the fact it's a high school. Oline is the one position in football that probably has the biggest transition from high school to college. This is why it's extremely rare for true freshmen to start at online comparatively. It is however a fact that most high school OT's get converted to guards in college.

I think the interesting thing is the wide range of stats across recruiting services for this kid. It's really weird especially since he goes to Bishop Gorman a team that has at least a few televised games every year. You'd think it would be really easy to at least get his height right? He looks all of 6-6 to me.

Reactions: LittleVol
So left-handed QB. I think everyone in these forums knows what bishop Gorman is.. does not change the fact it's a high school. Oline is the one position in football that probably has the biggest transition from high school to college. This is why it's extremely rare for true freshmen to start at online comparatively. It is however a fact that most high school OT's get converted to guards in college.

I think the interesting thing is the wide range of stats across recruiting services for this kid. It's really weird especially since he goes to Bishop Gorman a team that has at least a few televised games every year. You'd think it would be really easy to at least get his height right? He looks all of 6-6 to me.
Yeah!
I’m not sure why those numbers are all over the place. He’s tall. And even at 6’6 he still can play guard.
Trey Smith was an awesome tackle for Tennessee as a freshman, but then became even better as a guard. I was making the point that Utu can play either and that if he does play guard it’s because that’s where he’s needed vs the only position he can play at the next level.

His teammate SJ Alafatuli is another top 100 player and committed to Miami. Probably going to play center for them even though he obviously doesn’t now.

Kinda rough ain't ya

Yeah!
I’m not sure why those numbers are all over the place. He’s tall. And even at 6’6 he still can play guard.
Trey Smith was an awesome tackle for Tennessee as a freshman, but then became even better as a guard. I was making the point that Utu can play either and that if he does play guard it’s because that’s where he’s needed vs the only position he can play at the next level.

His teammate SJ Alafatuli is another top 100 player and committed to Miami. Probably going to play center for them even though he obviously doesn’t now.
Yup high schools just throw guys where they need em and the coaches at that level don't have the resources or experience often to project talent as well as those at colleges same applies from college to NFL. You might have 2 guys whose best position is center player A might be bigger stronger and actually a better center prospect but player B might be a good enough center but does not have the skillset to play guard as well as player A. You throw B at center and A at guard and that's your best case. College coaches are trying to optimize players more and are often working from less a place of desperation. Bishop Gorman and other schools like it are in the weird position where they have too much talent and want to get all the best guys on the field which leads to guys playing out of position for that reason instead of necessity. They might have the 2 best returners in the country but the number 2 guy is the returner because the number 1 guy is the top corner or WR. Why get him tired playing multiple positions when you have an overflow of talent on the roster?

seeing tape of this kid he definitely looks like a tackle but looking at our roster. If we sign David Sanders he and Heard are our likely starting tackles that leaves Utu at guard/backing up or redshirting. If heard stays till his senior year that means if he does not play guard he at best starting his first game at tackle his third year. 5-10 years ago I'm on board with that plan....but its NIL/Portal era. We sit him he's gone. If we sign Sanders Utu is a guard his first year or two.

Reactions: LittleVol
Yup high schools just throw guys where they need em and the coaches at that level don't have the resources or experience often to project talent as well as those at colleges same applies from college to NFL. You might have 2 guys whose best position is center player A might be bigger stronger and actually a better center prospect but player B might be a good enough center but does not have the skillset to play guard as well as player A. You throw B at center and A at guard and that's your best case. College coaches are trying to optimize players more and are often working from less a place of desperation. Bishop Gorman and other schools like it are in the weird position where they have too much talent and want to get all the best guys on the field which leads to guys playing out of position for that reason instead of necessity. They might have the 2 best returners in the country but the number 2 guy is the returner because the number 1 guy is the top corner or WR. Why get him tired playing multiple positions when you have an overflow of talent on the roster?

seeing tape of this kid he definitely looks like a tackle but looking at our roster. If we sign David Sanders he and Heard are our likely starting tackles that leaves Utu at guard/backing up or redshirting. If heard stays till his senior year that means if he does not play guard he at best starting his first game at tackle his third year. 5-10 years ago I'm on board with that plan....but its NIL/Portal era. We sit him he's gone. If we sign Sanders Utu is a guard his first year or two.
It’s certainly a great problem to have, I think.

Don’t forgot Warren. 6’7 340 and can move.

I believe Heupel finally has the o-line to where you don’t need the transfer portal.

Unpopular opinion by me, by Sanders doesn’t start as a freshman. I think he plays a lot and then starts at the left side in his 2nd year.

VN Store

Back