'25 NV OL Douglas Utu (Oregon commit)

Just because he’s rated as an OT, doesn’t mean that’s the position he’ll play in college.

Our coaches liked him better inside.

You saying the coaching staff was wrong?
If a coach wants to play a guy at OG, that can play OG probably very well, then how are they wrong??

He’s playing at OT right now for one of the best HSs in the country, and he’s one of the best OT in HS.

Hardly a surprise. As I mentioned previously in another thread:

While we have started landing some recruits from Bishop Gorman in the last few classes, I think USC, UCLA and Oregon all land more recruits from Bishop Gorman. I wouldn't necessarily say that helps out. It is definitely a good move for the kid though, and I'm happy for that. Hopefully we continue to build that pipeline.

sucks. dude's a future pro bowler at guard. IMO this will happen a lot now with NIL where those tweener types get to dictate what position they play to the highest bidder. makes sense ultimately but a bummer to a certain degree if you tell a kid he's inevitably going to end up at a less glamorous position in the league than they expect
This. They will end up putting him at guard. He’s a guard at this level.

So Sanders is at LT and Utu at RT. So they really have no conflict…
Both 5 star guys. And Utu would be an excellent guard too. He’s like Trey Smith in that he can be RT or play either OG.

He wants the money of a OT, and he’s been playing OT the whole time at BG
Point being that nothing has changed on the Tennessee side from the time he committed. Tennessee didn't change their tune on his position. They didn't suddenly take someone that they didn't plan on taking at RT or any interior position, either. Utu knew David Sanders was the LT. So why commit to Tennessee if you had your heart set on that spot? In the end, this seems like it was about relationships, which is fine. He kind of committed to Tennessee out of nowhere ,and quickly, so this kind of always felt like one (to me, at least) that we'd have to continually work on to keep.

So Sanders is at LT and Utu at RT. So they really have no conflict…
Both 5 star guys. And Utu would be an excellent guard too. He’s like Trey Smith in that he can be RT or play either OG.

He wants the money of a OT, and he’s been playing OT the whole time at BG
It has nothing to do with guard vs tackle. I’d guess he plays guard at Oregon

VN Store

Back