Observations...

Peyton Berry

1. Palardy has impressed me the first 2 games. Has 3-4 KO's for touchbacks, and has directionally kicked off very well. 2-2 on FG's now (though short), no missed XP's. He is even punting nicely, had one kinda short today but not bad.

2. It seems Coach Jancek rarely blitzes. Maybe he don't trust the DB's or something, but I don't recall seeing but a corner blitz today and that's it. The front four did OK today getting pressure I thought, not great but good. But I would have liked to see some blitzing on those 3rd on longs WKU was converting.

3. Right now to beat one of the 5 biggies this year (Ducks, Bama, Georgia, Florida, USCe), I think Worley must improve or its highly unlikely. His accuracy is too inconsistent, and seems to really decline with longer throws. Out of the very few deep balls he has thrown these 2 games, only one was on target and it was dropped by Croom in the first half. Even the short to intermediate passes it seems the WR's are half the time making adjustments just to get their hands on the ball. I expect a lot of tight man coverage and stacking against the run. I don't think we can beat any of these 5 with how the offense is playing now. It will rely a lot on him and our young WR's and TE's winning 1 on 1's (and making the catches) to change it. Haven't seen many WR or HB screens, maybe they will pull some out next couple weeks.

4. RB's are improved and running much better. Finishing plays extremely well.

5. We have a very, very good O-Line. Good holes and not much pressure at all on Worley.

6. Right now, I think any thing less than 6-6 is a disappointment. 7-5 is where I think it will end up, but Florida seems very beatable right now.

7. Butch Jones, he gets it

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 4 people
In defense of Worley on the Johnson catch, it was actually thrown where it had to be. I thought initially that it was badly underthrown. However it would have been picked or batted away if it had been longer or had any more air under it.

That said... I don't know whether he intended to throw it that way or if it was just dumb luck.

2- You could be right but UT should not have had to blitz against either of the first two opponents... and they have gotten pressure with the front 4.

Overall, the thing I feel best about is the coaching to this point. They identify and correct problems. The passing game overall improved against a better opponent. It was anemic in the first half in part because of how the game flowed. However Worley went something like 9/13 and well over 100 yds in the second half. The run game improved as did the RB's. The D improved.... don't forget that Petrino is a master. UT's young guys held up well.

Which points to the 2nd part of coaching that is MUCH better than we've seen at UT for as long as I can remember. Fulmer and Dooley both stank at half time adjustments. Kiffin stank less than they did but was never particularly impressive. Jones and staff did a very good job vs WKU. First half, WKU had something like 240 yds vs 85 for UT. Second half, UT had around 300 while WKU had about 140. UT won the 2nd half without a flurry of turnovers 21-3 on the scoreboard.

Reactions: 7 people
Overall, the thing I feel best about is the coaching to this point. They identify and correct problems. The passing game overall improved against a better opponent. It was anemic in the first half in part because of how the game flowed. However Worley went something like 9/13 and well over 100 yds in the second half. The run game improved as did the RB's. The D improved.... don't forget that Petrino is a master. UT's young guys held up well.

Which points to the 2nd part of coaching that is MUCH better than we've seen at UT for as long as I can remember. Fulmer and Dooley both stank at half time adjustments. Kiffin stank less than they did but was never particularly impressive. Jones and staff did a very good job vs WKU. First half, WKU had something like 240 yds vs 85 for UT. Second half, UT had around 300 while WKU had about 140. UT won the 2nd half without a flurry of turnovers 21-3 on the scoreboard.

:good!:....1st time this^ has been said in a while

Reactions: 2 people
2- You could be right but UT should not have had to blitz against either of the first two opponents... and they have gotten pressure with the front 4.

screw this, I am lmao@ USC's hc Lame Kiffin 10-7 lost to Wash St, who gave up 31pts to Auburn week one!
:rock:Ha-ha! your going to be fired soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
1. Palardy has impressed me the first 2 games. Has 3-4 KO's for touchbacks, and has directionally kicked off very well. 2-2 on FG's now (though short), no missed XP's. He is even punting nicely, had one kinda short today but not bad.

2. It seems Coach Jancek rarely blitzes. Maybe he don't trust the DB's or something, but I don't recall seeing but a corner blitz today and that's it. The front four did OK today getting pressure I thought, not great but good. But I would have liked to see some blitzing on those 3rd on longs WKU was converting.

3. Right now to beat one of the 5 biggies this year (Ducks, Bama, Georgia, Florida, USCe), I think Worley must improve or its highly unlikely. His accuracy is too inconsistent, and seems to really decline with longer throws. Out of the very few deep balls he has thrown these 2 games, only one was on target and it was dropped by Croom in the first half. Even the short to intermediate passes it seems the WR's are half the time making adjustments just to get their hands on the ball. I expect a lot of tight man coverage and stacking against the run. I don't think we can beat any of these 5 with how the offense is playing now. It will rely a lot on him and our young WR's and TE's winning 1 on 1's (and making the catches) to change it. Haven't seen many WR or HB screens, maybe they will pull some out next couple weeks.

4. RB's are improved and running much better. Finishing plays extremely well.

5. We have a very, very good O-Line. Good holes and not much pressure at all on Worley.

6. Right now, I think any thing less than 6-6 is a disappointment. 7-5 is where I think it will end up, but Florida seems very beatable right now.

7. Butch Jones, he gets it

GO VOLS!

I agree. But Palardy has to get the punt off a lot faster then the one he got blocked yesterday. You can't be that slow against teams in the SEC. You know other teams will be trying to block his punts if he will take that long. Like Butch Jones said unaccepitable.

I remember one blitz yesterday, Toney ended up meeting a d-lineman at the qb, they didn't get the sack though.

I've noticed that we haven't seen our complete offensive and defensive packages. I think this week we will see the TE become more involved as well as the short quick passes. We will see more blitzes on defense as well. This coaching staff did not want to show their hand before Oregon.

screw this, I am lmao@ USC's hc Lame Kiffin 10-7 lost to Wash St, who gave up 31pts to Auburn week one!
:rock:Ha-ha! your going to be fired soon!

USC can't fire Kiffin cos no one will take the job given the current and long-term effect of the NCAA sanctions.

Marqise Lee can't wait to exit LA and get off what is becoming a train wreck.

I agree. But Palardy has to get the punt off a lot faster then the one he got blocked yesterday. You can't be that slow against teams in the SEC. You know other teams will be trying to block his punts if he will take that long. Like Butch Jones said unacceptable.

Oregon got off to a quick start at UVA with a blocked punt. UF blocked a punt at Miami too.

Butch MUST do serious work on this.

I've noticed that we haven't seen our complete offensive and defensive packages. I think this week we will see the TE become more involved as well as the short quick passes. We will see more blitzes on defense as well. This coaching staff did not want to show their hand before Oregon.

Worley/Peterman didn't run the read-option and keep the ball once. There were lost of yards there.

Worley/Peterman didn't run the read-option and keep the ball once. There were lost of yards there.

Agreed, there are a lot of wrinkles to the offense that we haven't seen yet. I will be glad when they show those wrinkles. UVA TE was open against Oregon on yesterday. He had some good gains. However they didn't stay with it. Keep running it until they show that they will take that away. If they take the TE away, something else will be open.

I think it's been pretty vanilla on both sides of the ball so far. I'm sure we'll see new packages this weekend, though I wouldn't be surprised if we saved a lot for Florida as an SEC East win means more than an OOC win right now.

VN Store

Back