Offense Is Ice Cold Saturday

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
From UT Sports:

Vols Offense Ice-Cold During Neyland Stadium Scrimmage

Linebackers Omar Gaither and Ryan Karl led another strong defensive effort against a limited offensive unit

April 2, 2005

Linebackers Omar Gaither and Ryan Karl led another strong defensive effort against a limited offensive unit as Tennessee scrimmaged in cold, blustery conditions Saturday at Neyland Stadium. The duo finished with six tackles apiece while adding a couple of tackles behind the line and a fumble recovery by Gaither.

"I though we had really good work from the defense," head coach Phillip Fulmer said. "They set the tempo again for the day. I don't really know how much we're challenging them from the offensive front, but Omar Gaither is just making play after play. Justin Harrell, Jesse Mahelona and Parys (Haralson) -- those guys are setting a great tempo."

Tennessee's passers combined for 11-of-32 through the air for 70 yards and one interception. Temperatures hovered in the mid-40s with spitting rains and winds gusting better than 20 miles per hour.

"Offensively, it's all about mistakes and if you make mistakes you're not going to move the football," Fulmer said. "It wasn't a great day to throw the football for the quarterbacks but there are going to be days like this we'll have to play in. We have no consistency right now, no continuity with what we're getting done."

The Vols' best offensive efforts came via the ground, with freshman Arian Foster carrying 12 times for 61 yards and David Yancey adding six attempts for 41 yards.

"I told them I'm not jumping up and down raising heck right now," Fulmer said. "I want to see the film and really see what we accomplished. Because offensively, if you're not getting it done by everybody, you're not going to be successful. We've got basically everybody back from last year on offense, but they're not out there right now."

Fulmer singled out Robert Ayers, LaRon Harris, Britton Colquitt and Karl among the younger players who contributed, along with a solid effort by cornerback Jonathan Wade. Wade prevented a possible touchdown pass by Rick Clausen with an interception deep in his own territory.

Tennessee returns to practice Tuesday and Fulmer says Friday is the team's next scheduled scrimmage. The Edamerica Orange and White Game kicks off April 16 with Fans' Day beginning at 1 p.m. and the game starting at 3 p.m.

Offensive starters: OT Albert Toeaina, OG Cody Douglas, C Michael Frogg, OG David Ligon, OT Arron Sears, QB Erik Ainge, FB Cory Anderson, TB David Yancey, TE Chris Brown, WR Bill Grimes, WR Jayson Swain.

Defensive starters: DE Antonio Reynolds, DT LaRon Harris, DT Justin Harrell, DE Robert Ayers, LB Jason Mitchell, LB Jon Poe, LB Omar Gaither, CB Jonathan Wade, CB Jonathan Hefney, SS Antwan Stewart, FS Corey Campbell.

Individual Statistics

Rushing (Att-Yds-TD): Arian Foster 12-61-0; David Yancey 6-41-0; Brent Schaeffer 4-22-0; Rick Clausen 2-16-0; Gerald Riggs Jr. 3-4-0; Cory Anderson 1-(-1)-0; JaKouri Williams 8-(-3)-0; Erik Ainge 2-(-8)-0.

Passing (Att-Comp-Int-Yds-TD): Brent Schaeffer 11-4-0-31-0; Rick Clausen 9-4-1-22-0; Erik Ainge 12-3-0-17-0.

Receiving (Rec-Yds-TD): Bret Smith 3-26-0; Josh Briscoe 3-22-0; JaKouri Williams 2-11-0; Robert Williams 1-5-0; Bill Grimes 1-3-0; Robert Meachem 1-2-0.

Defensive Leaders: Ryan Karl 6 tackles, TFL (-3), PBU; Omar Gaither 6 tackles, sack (-3), fumble recovery; Jarod Mayo 4 tackles; Jon Poe 4 tackles; Antonio Reynolds 4 tackles; Daniel Brooks 4 tackles, TFL (-1); Jason Mitchell 4 tackles, sack (-2); Corey Campbell 3 tackles, PBU; Ben Greene 3 tackles, PBU; James Turner 3 tackles, TFL (-1); Jonathan Hefney 2 tackles, forced fumble; Antwan Smith 2 tackles, QB pressure; Robert Ayers sack (-5); Marvin Mitchell sack (-5); Jonathan Wade interception.

Punting (No-Avg-Long): Britton Colquitt 12-41.3-50.

You know, in order to win a NC, you have to want it as bad in April as you do next January! These guys need to get it going now, and keep it going until we kick USC's butt in the Rose Bowl. :rocks:

I would rather us play Michigan in the Rose Bowl... Then and only then will I be able to get fully into it.

And I have complete faith Sanders will have our QB's going by September. Despite all the rabble over whether or not he's a good OC, he is good at getting the QB's ready to play.

its not horrible news. id much rather see our d shutting down our o than our o shredding our d, especially considering alot of our o starters are out.

Defensive Leaders: Ryan Karl 6 tackles, TFL (-3), PBU; Omar Gaither 6 tackles, sack (-3), fumble recovery; Jarod Mayo 4 tackles; Jon Poe 4 tackles; Antonio Reynolds 4 tackles; Daniel Brooks 4 tackles, TFL (-1); Jason Mitchell 4 tackles, sack (-2); Corey Campbell 3 tackles, PBU; Ben Greene 3 tackles, PBU; James Turner 3 tackles, TFL (-1); Jonathan Hefney 2 tackles, forced fumble; Antwan Smith 2 tackles, QB pressure; Robert Ayers sack (-5); Marvin Mitchell sack (-5); Jonathan Wade interception.

is this a good thing? bad? or both...

Originally posted by VOL_AHOLIC@Apr 5, 2005 11:28 AM
is this a good thing? bad? or both...

I guess that I would go with both. Obviously, our offense will be ok once they figure out who is playing where on the OL. The QB's, RB's and WR's just need to be patient and try not to get too frustrated.

Our OL is bad right now, but I think our defense is really good too. I have been saying this whole off season that they could be a top 5 defense this year if the secondary comes together.

It is nice to see that all of our linebackers are making plays. :good:

I think Riggs is in Fulmer's doghouse again for not getting his classwork done before practice started. I know he has missed some practice time due to academics.

Maybe I have just never noticed, but when did the O&W game get a sponsor? Edamerica? What is next, the Eastman Chemical Vol Walk?

so many big questions going into next season.

which one are you guys least worried about?

-DB
-OL
-QB

how will the OL fair? who will step up for the roll of center? How does this effect the running game and pass protect having to learn multiple positions?

our defense is top notch, but only if we can get our defensive back field, which i have always felt is our weakest link, on a top performance level this year with jason allen back.

3 starting QBs with only one spot.

i love to see the defense taking charge.

Originally posted by UTVOLFAN+Apr 5, 2005 10:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UTVOLFAN @ Apr 5, 2005 10:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Vol 4 Life@Apr 5, 2005 12:30 PM
Gerald Riggs, 3 carries, 4 yards.  What is the story there?

Good defense [/quote]
And no O-line

Maybe he&#39;s holdin&#39;em out in the spring because all other players seem have that damn 2002 curse. I think Riggs should someday figure out that he has to do the right thing in all aspects, not just on the football field. The guy can OBVIOUSLY get it done on the field. Maybe he doesnt understand that football is a blessing to play, and with that comes the responsibility. What makes football so great is the fact that if you are a great player, it means you are a great leader. I guess my take on it is that if and ONLY IF GRADES are the problem here......He needs to understand that for the team to progress and get better, he has to be a leader in all aspects of being a football player. Damn...i sure thought we got him over that hump....tough break if it actually is the case

VN Store

Back