Offset I formation

WA_Vol

I think the majority of people who are criticizing Sanders, what they are really critical of, is the offensive set and scheme we use. I am not a big fan of the offset I formation either.

I remember back when Majors won the sugar bowl against Miami we used a 4 receiver set with a single back. We used that a few years ago against Florida when Clausen was freshman. I liked that set. I think you open the field more and spread the defense and make it easier to run the ball.

Its true, Tennessee doesnt run play fakes much anymore and you got 3 linebackers who are coming full speed as soon as the QB turns for the give. There is nothing to hold them back without a tight end in the game.

If you going to use an offset I you need to have a tight end in the game and need to throw to him off of play fakes to keep the linebackers honest. It doesn't make sense not to.

Well we need to recruit more tight ends then. Has UT even had a good one since Witten?

And I agree, I like ace formations better but offset I has it's uses, especialy for good blocking. Great for quick runs up the middle, the QB turns, hands off to Riggs, POW Anderson already has the hole cleared up and gives Riggs room to run. That is, if we can actually pass to stretch the defense to begin with.

Originally posted by Vol67@Sep 4, 2005 4:15 PM
Again UT only ran 8 plays Saturday
[snapback]136318[/snapback]​

That is all OC Slanders knows. How long does the VN and beyond stand for this. Stretch the field,nah. Use our speed, why? Understand what the opponents defense is doing, not a chance! Wonder why we get no respect? I will spell it out for you S-A-N-D-E-R-S,period. :banghead:

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Sep 4, 2005 5:23 PM
That is all OC Slanders knows. How long does the VN and beyond stand for this. Stretch the field,nah. Use our speed, why? Understand what the opponents defense is doing, not a chance! Wonder why we get no respect? I will spell it out for you S-A-N-D-E-R-S,period. :banghead:
[snapback]136321[/snapback]​

Funny post. But mostly true.

Why we dont run 4 or 5 receivers is beyond me. Does anyone think UAB had 4 or 5 DB who could cover man to man are 4 or 5 best receivers?

Of course not, but why do we not exploit this??

Well, so we could hide our hand for how we'll play against Florida and LSU...

Of course, that also means we have to execute. :yuck:

Maybe the playcalling will magically improve. It did last season, when we were in hot water against the Cocks, 'Dores and Wildcats.

Originally posted by oklavol@Sep 4, 2005 5:33 PM
Of course not, but why do we not exploit this??
[snapback]136326[/snapback]​

Didn't you hear? We didn't want to show Urban anything.... shhhhh :biggrin2:

Donsarge- Give me a break.

If you knew THAT much more about UT football and Sander's ability than Fulmer, YOU'D BE HEAD COACH.

"Fans" like you KILL me.

You never post until there is something NEGATIVE to say.

Am I tired of the offset I? Hell no. We average ten wins a year, and until that changes I don't have a problem. I'm just not one of these fans who feels like we need to have 500 passing yards and hang 70 on everybody we play. As long as we're winning, I don't care if we run the single wing.

Originally posted by milohimself@Sep 4, 2005 4:58 PM
I think an .800 record with more championships to show for it would be even better
[snapback]136358[/snapback]​

I agree 100%. However, the last two times we've competed for a championship it's been the D that let us down and not the O.

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@Sep 4, 2005 4:39 PM
Donsarge- Give me a break.

If you knew THAT much more about UT football and Sander's ability than Fulmer, YOU'D BE HEAD COACH.

"Fans" like you KILL me.

You never post until there is something NEGATIVE to say.
[snapback]136334[/snapback]​

What are we winning? Last Conference Championship, National Championship? Oh yeah, I forgot we won the UAB game, :clapping:

Originally posted by oklavol@Sep 4, 2005 4:07 PM
I think the majority of people who are criticizing Sanders, what they are really critical of, is the offensive set and scheme we use. I am not a big fan of the offset I formation either.

I remember back when Majors won the sugar bowl against Miami we used a 4 receiver set with a single back. We used that a few years ago against Florida when Clausen was freshman. I liked that set. I think you open the field more and spread the defense and make it easier to run the ball.

Its true, Tennessee doesnt run play fakes much anymore and you got 3 linebackers who are coming full speed as soon as the QB turns for the give. There is nothing to hold them back without a tight end in the game. 

If you going to use an offset I you need to have a tight end in the game and need to throw to him off of play fakes to keep the linebackers honest.  It doesn't make sense not to.
[snapback]136312[/snapback]​
Agreed.

The Off Set I is a popular formation. The Titans run it and some other major college teams. My point is Tennessee does not execute very well from the Off Set I unlike other teams.

BUT I did notice Tenn used the TE in the FB pos. in the Off Set I(I think it is the called the H-back, like the Titans, Steelers and Pats). They moved Chris Brown around a lot. It looked like the TE's might be a part of the game plan this year. :peace:

Y'all keep knocking the offset I but did you notice Louisville running a few plays from the "full-house" T formation. If you have the horses you could even win today with the Old "Single Wing", especially down on the goal line.

We don't only run from the offset I, we run a large number of plays from the Short Punt formation, several of them with only one back in the backfield. Although I don't recall seeing it Saturday, we ofter run short yardage plays from the Power I. We run a lot from the standard I also with the fullback leading on Isolation Plays designed to overpower the linebackers.

Tennessee is, and has been for years, a multiple offense team and that is for a reason. It is very difficult for a defensive coordinator to prepare for a team that can either spread the field or fill the backfield up with running/BLOCKING backs.

If you have the horses, you can run any offense and make it successful. :rock: If you don't have the horses, any offense you run will not be successful. :bad:

I think it is time to get off Fulmer and Sanders. I don't know of any combination capable of matching their success. Granted, our offense appears to be very conservative, but conservative or wide open, it is SUCCESSFUL. :gun: :gun: :gun:

We could have the wide open, spread'em out pass happy offense that gained the Boise State boys such accaulades. After Saturday, we see what that Spread'em Out BS can really do.

GO VOLS :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I WOULD like to see more 3-4 WR sets... you have to put your best players on the field, and they are supposed to be. Of course, with the hands they showed on Saturday... eh, it was a fluke. Those guys are good. Get 'em out ON THE FIELD.

That said, the run game has to be clicking.

I still think we will spread out and do some things vs. FLA that we were not showing last week.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Sep 4, 2005 5:15 PM
What are we winning? Last Conference Championship, National Championship? Oh yeah, I forgot we won the UAB game,  :clapping:
[snapback]136380[/snapback]​

Go have another fifth with the Maj. If you haven't heard, Old Johnny boy and his supporters have been disassociated by 99% of us fans. You can take your drunk buddy and his suck up to bammer ways back to Pittsburg and play a few rounds of golf in your gray snow.

Tune in next week when we'll hear the crusty old golf instructor say
"Hey big man let me hold a dollar!" and "let's crucify Randy Sanders!"

The reason I think we would do well with the spread offense with 4 receivers, is because I have seen it work well in the past. There are
2 games that come to my mind.

The first was the 86 sugar bowl, where we blew out Miami. We had a 2nd string qb, Dickey, who could not throw a deep ball well. No one really gave us a chance that game, but we blew them out anyway.

The other game was when Casey Clausen was a freshman and Suggs got the start against Florida. Another game where no one gave us a prayer of winning. Suggs had a weak arm, and couldnt throw a deep ball. Yet, except for a bad call at the end of the game, we would have won that game.

The reason I bring up these games is, to point out how well we ran the ball both games playing with QB's who couldnt throw deep. Spreading the field really opens up running lanes.

Originally posted by oklavol@Sep 7, 2005 1:02 PM
The reason I think we would do well with the spread offense with 4 receivers, is because I have seen it work well in the past. There are
2 games that come to my mind.

The first was the 86 sugar bowl, where we blew out Miami. We had a 2nd string qb, Dickey, who could not throw a deep ball well. No one really gave us a chance that game, but we blew them out anyway.

The other game was when Casey Clausen was a freshman and Suggs got the start against Florida. Another game where no one gave us a prayer of winning. Suggs had a weak arm, and couldnt throw a deep ball. Yet, except for a bad call at the end of the game, we would have won that game.

The reason I bring up these games is, to point out how well we ran the ball both games playing with QB's who couldnt throw deep. Spreading the field really opens up running lanes.
[snapback]138523[/snapback]​

Give us a Break:

If those 4 receivers do no better catching the ball in the spread than they did against UAB, :banghead: the Spread would be no better than the; Offset I, Short Punt, Wing T, Split T, Full House T, Single Wing, Wishbone, Broken Bone, Winged Bone, Power I, Full House I, Syracuse A, etc., etc., etc.

No passing game or offense is worth a continental damn, if the receivers drop footballs. Think about, this conversation would not be necessary had the receivers not dropped 6 or 8 easy catches Saturday.

Go Vols and Stomp the Mastergaiters in the MUDHOLE! :gun:

:cool: :cool: :cool:

VN Store

Back