On a Hallowed Hill in TENNESSEE!

OneManGang

IT'S GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL-UN-TEER!! I SAY IT'S GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOLUNTEER!!!

If you claim to be a “Vol fan” and you can't appreciate where UT athletics are right now …

Well, just keep it to yourself, the rest us really don't want to hear it.

As many of you know, especially regular followers of my “vs the Maxims” columns during football season, I am a UT alum and have been a UT fan for well over a half century. I can bring some perspective.

torchbearer 2020.jpg

After last night's events – listening or watching the game along with hundreds of thousands of Vol faithful across the fruited plain and then celebrating the win and …

Part of me was amazed.

In the last three decades I've watched maybe 30 minutes of baseball.

UT baseball has rocketed from the“That's Nice” category (those sports that achieve success at UT and we fans see the write-up in the paper and think, “that's nice”) to now one of those sports we Vol fans follow with fervor.

The last time anything like this happened a young lady from UT Martin named Pat Head took a bunch of girls toiling in the AIAW with home games drawing crowds in the dozens to national prominence in a period of 15 years or so. I seem to recall going to a womens' game in 1977. My Brother from a Different Mother was a sports reporter for the Beacon and he was assigned to cover the game - (we were headed to Sam Andy's afterward) we were the only people on press row.

Eventually,the “Volettes” became the Lady Vols and Coach Summitt has a statue opposite TBA.

Before that a guy named Ray Mears became the first full-time basketball coach in UT history and created “Big Orange Country” all by his lonesome!

Before Mears, UT President and former player Nathan Dougherty approached a young Captain of Engineers about coaching the football team. Robert Reese Neyland took Vol football and, by extension the entire University, to national prominence.

Just five years ago, the mens basketball team was the lone bright spot for UT sports with an appearance in the Sweet 16. Beldar Pruitt was steering the football program to disaster and stocking up on “Burger King” bags. Holly Warlick was headed for dismissal after yet another disappointing season for the LVs. Second year coach Tony Vitello had a losing record in the SEC (14-16) and lost in the NCAA regionals. Attendance at home baseball games was in the hundreds.

What a difference! Coach V and the “865 Bombers” brought home the hardware from Omaha. Coach Barnes and the Boys in Orange #PMS151 made it to the Elite 8. Coach Heup and the lads wound up 9-4 and decisively won their bowl game with prospects very bright for the '24 campaign. Finally, the new Boss Lady for the lady Vols seems to be bringing a much-needed dose of focus and enthusiasm.

What I'm saying is: enjoy the crap out of this. Sit back, light up a stogie, and know that the ride ain't over!

All together, once again!

IT'S GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL-UN-TEER!! I SAY IT'S GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOLUNTEER!!!

tomy horst.jpg

If you claim to be a “Vol fan” and you can't appreciate where UT athletics are right now …

As many of you know, especially regular followers of my “vs the Maxims” columns during football season, I am a UT alum and have been a UT fan for well over a half century. I can bring some perspective.

View attachment 654104

After last night's events – listening or watching the game along with hundreds of thousands of Vol faithful across the fruited plain and then celebrating the win and …

Part of me was amazed.

UT baseball has rocketed from the“That's Nice” category (those sports that achieve success at UT and we fans see the write-up in the paper and think, “that's nice”) to now one of those sports we Vol fans follow with fervor.

The last time anything like this happened a young lady from UT Martin named Pat Head took a bunch of girls toiling in the AIAW with home games drawing crowds in the dozens to national prominence in a period of 15 years or so. I seem to recall going to a womens' game in 1977. My Brother from a Different Mother was a sports reporter for the Beacon and he was assigned to cover the game - (we were headed to Sam Andy's afterward) we were the only people on press row.

Eventually,the “Volettes” became the Lady Vols and Coach Summitt has a statue opposite TBA.

Before that a guy named Ray Mears became the first full-time basketball coach in UT history and created “Big Orange Country” all by his lonesome!

Before Mears, UT President and former player Nathan Dougherty approached a young Captain of Engineers about coaching the football team. Robert Reese Neyland took Vol football and, by extension the entire University, to national prominence.

Just five years ago, the mens basketball team was the lone bright spot for UT sports with an appearance in the Sweet 16. Beldar Pruitt was steering the football program to disaster and stocking up on “Burger King” bags. Holly Warlick was headed for dismissal after yet another disappointing season for the LVs. Second year coach Tony Vitello had a losing record in the SEC (14-16) and lost in the NCAA regionals. Attendance at home baseball games was in the hundreds.

What a difference! Coach V and the “865 Bombers” brought home the hardware from Omaha. Coach Barnes and the Boys in Orange #PMS151 made it to the Elite 8. Coach Heup and the lads wound up 9-4 and decisively won their bowl game with prospects very bright for the '24 campaign. Finally, the new Boss Lady for the lady Vols seems to be bringing a much-needed dose of focus and enthusiasm.

What I'm saying is: enjoy the crap out of this. Sit back, light up a stogie, and know that the ride ain't over!

View attachment 654105
Hell yeah

View attachment 654104

Part of me was amazed.

View attachment 654105
Big things going on on "THE HILL".

While I got my degree at Belmont, my heart has always bled PMS151. As a child with a transistor radio holding it at the right angle, I listened as the Vols beat Alabama and Bear Bryant in 1970, I was hooked. I have listened, watched, cried, cussed, and shouted with so many victories and losses. Pat's amazing championships, football's ups and downs, mens basketballs beating Memphis to become #1 for the first time, to Monday nights phenomenal game. It just doesn't get any better than being a Tennessee Volunteer.

While I got my degree at Belmont, my heart has always bled PMS151. As a child with a transistor radio holding it at the right angle, I listened as the Vols beat Alabama and Bear Bryant in 1970, I was hooked. I have listened, watched, cried, cussed, and shouted with so many victories and losses. Pat's amazing championships, football's ups and downs, mens basketballs beating Memphis to become #1 for the first time, to Monday nights phenomenal game. It just doesn't get any better than being a Tennessee Volunteer.
The first Tennessee football I attended was the Wake Forest game on Sept. 29th, 1945. Tennessee won 7-6 a I think won 8 games and lost one; Alabama 25 Tennessee 7. My Father bought his first season tickets in 1931 and I still buy his tickets today.

Lindsey Nelson was my cousin and when I could not go to games, I would listen to him on the radio. He and Coach Neyland founded the VOL Radio Network.

Last edited:
The first Tennessee football I attended was the Wake Forest game on Sept. 29th, 1945. Tennessee won 7-6 a I think won 8 games and lost one; Alabama 25 Tennessee 7. My Father bought his first season tickets in 1931 and I still buy his tickets today.

Lindsey Nelson was my cousin and when I could not go to games, I would listen to him on the radio. He and Coach Neyland founded the VOL Radio Network.

Wow! Just three weeks after VJ Day!

Lindsey Nelson (UT '41) used to do the voice-over for the Notre Dame replay right before the UT Coach's show.

I was watching one Sunday morning when he described then ND quarterback Joe Theisman as "The Squirmin' German."

I fell in floor laughing.

There is great article about him in The Torchbearer: The Man in Plaid

LindseyNeyland.jpg

Lindsey Nelson and Neyland (The Torchbearer)

In terms of across-the-board excellence, we could well be entering the Golden Age of Tennessee Athletics.

I pose the following as a rhetorical question: Could Vitello be the Neyland of Tennessee baseball? Just as Neyland was explicitly directed to "even the score" against the Commode Flushers, Vitello assumed the reins of the baseball Vols at a time when Corbin was preparing to win his second national championship. Nevertheless, at least in the short term, Vitello has surpassed Corbin and his program.

In terms of across-the-board excellence, we could well be entering the Golden Age of Tennessee Athletics.

I pose the following as a rhetorical question: Could Vitello be the Neyland of Tennessee baseball? Just as Neyland was explicitly directed to "even the score" against the Commode Flushers, Vitello assumed the reins of the baseball Vols at a time when Corbin was preparing to win his second national championship. Nevertheless, at least in the short term, Vitello has surpassed Corbin and his program.

The very idea that we’re aware of being in a “golden age” is a marvel in itself. That couldn’t happen without the previous decade of frustration.

In the words of Aerosmith:

“I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody's sin
You've got to lose to know how to win”

Reactions: OneManGang

VN Store

Back