ONE Thing I was happy to see!!!!

Tennman

VFL and a week
Was the fact we played a game and the opponents quarterback did not have a career game. ( like last year ) Also impressed with Worleys handling of the ball. A couple of times I was totally watching the wrong player thinking they had the ball and Worley kept it. Bottom line is we have a long way to go, but very impressed with the attitude, discipline and mannerisms of this team on game 1. I do think Butch gets it, as some on here say. GO VOLS !!

Reactions: 6 people
I agree I don't expect we will win the east or anything we will have some losses and some on here will say Fire Butch as always but with this staff I think within 2 years we will be at the top of the east once again. It just takes time we have had a horrible few years, and it takes time to rebuild once you have the right guy and I do think wer have found that guy!! GBO

Reactions: 5 people
Was the fact we played a game and the opponents quarterback did not have a career game. ( like last year ) Also impressed with Worleys handling of the ball. A couple of times I was totally watching the wrong player thinking they had the ball and Worley kept it. Bottom line is we have a long way to go, but very impressed with the attitude, discipline and mannerisms of this team on game 1. I do think Butch gets it, as some on here say. GO VOLS !!

Agreed on the first point. Worley managed the read option well. His arm strength looked sufficient but his timing was a bit off with his receivers. I think we'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 person

+1 Worley handled the ball fakes really well. Also, since a lot of our receivers are new, mainly North, I think Worley's timing and their route running will only improve as the season moves on.

Reactions: 7 people
I liked the fact we didn't have a single penalty - offense or defense. For a newly coached team with differing schemes, this is incredible to me. Hope they keep it up.

Reactions: 11 people
Agreed! CBJ and staff have this team headed in the right direction. I still think we upset either SC, GA, or FL. The players speak in terms of team and not of themselves. Our defense is light years ahead of what I saw last year. Worley managed the game well. Don't forget this kid was a Parade All-American out of high school so he has talent. When we get back to full strength on defense (Smith, Vareen, Maggitt) we may see the TN of past years on defense. As long as we don't turn the ball over we should be competitive in every game.

Reactions: 5 people
I agree I don't expect we will win the east or anything we will have some losses and some on here will say Fire Butch as always but with this staff I think within 2 years we will be at the top of the east once again. It just takes time we have had a horrible few years, and it takes time to rebuild once you have the right guy and I do think wer have found that guy!! GBO

Thought this was terrypedigo at first!

The thing I liked about the team on Saturday was their demeanor. They were excited to be on the field and they seemed to have a lot of energy.

Very sportsman like, no penalties, just overall 100% better attitude than last season.

I know it was only Austin Pee, but if they (VOLS) keep that swagger and get better week by week, people better watch out. This team WILL sneak up on somebody this season. :good!:

I loved the excitement and discipline. It is awesome when you are up 45 and it is a third and short and the 1's are on the sideline jumping around cheering on the D to get a stop instead of just "chillin'".

Reactions: 2 people
Agreed on the first point. Worley managed the read option well. His arm strength looked sufficient but his timing was a bit off with his receivers. I think we'll be fine.

Only two dropped passes one which the receiver ran the wrong depth.

Is that really ONE thing, TennMan? New math? Anyway, I agree the fakes were well done and we didnt move the opposing QB into the Heisman conversation. Plus and plus.

No penalties is flat out amazing when you consider how's my players took the field. That shows amazing discipline.

I like Worley as a game manager. He's not elite talent but qb is more about playing smart, leading, and making good decisions that protect the ball.

I am curious if Pererman holds the 2 spot all year. He didn't seem very comfortable. Hard to judge on one game.

I really liked seeing the enthusiasm on the sideline. 1's cheering on the 2's, Maggit cheering everyone on all game despite not being dressed, and guys playing with good sportsmanship.

I hope this continues as the opponents get tougher.

The guys played as a team and that combined with discipline will get us an unpredicted win along the way.

Agreed! CBJ and staff have this team headed in the right direction. I still think we upset either SC, GA, or FL. The players speak in terms of team and not of themselves. Our defense is light years ahead of what I saw last year. Worley managed the game well. Don't forget this kid was a Parade All-American out of high school so he has talent. When we get back to full strength on defense (Smith, Vareen, Maggitt) we may see the TN of past years on defense. As long as we don't turn the ball over we should be competitive in every game.

I think we can get 2 out of the 3. Possibly GA and FL. I can't wait until that is not an upset. Sigh.

Agree with OP about first point. But I guarantee Bray would have passed for 350 and 5 TD's to win this 49 to 17 and we would run for 125 last year. It is nice to see us dominate without even caring about passing.

Everybody would be saying, look how great Bray is and we just need to run for 100 each game. That is the wrong way to beat inferior competition. The way TN did it Saturday is how they used to do it.

The two best things about the game are simple.

No Penalties shows discipline.

And a Shut out. Doesn't matter if it was Austin Peay even with 2nd and 3rd string in a shut out is always great.

Can anyone remember the last time these two things happened?

Worley looked great to me, or, he looked like he can get much better pretty easily. Looked comfortable.

I can't wait until Maggit is back in the line-up. He's a gamechanger type player.

No Penalties and better tackling for the first unit. I would like to see the Vols be able to throw the ball down field and at least have some threat in the passing game. I want to see what our young DB's can do against better competition...Saturday will probably give us an indication of their abilities...or lack there of

VN Store

Back