Online food orders are gumming up the works for the in-restaursnt faithful (Opinion/Analysis)

AshG

Easy target
Online Ordering Is Ruining Lunch for the Rest of Us

Some traditional lunch-goers are starting to find the kitchens' attention divided between them and the online and delivery orders - and it feels the like online orders are winning.

I typically order online for pickup, and encourage my family to read menus and make decisions before we leave the house if we're going to dine in (a necessity thanks to the flightiness of my kids). What started as new pandemic practice has turned into habit for us with restrictions lifted; there are fewer cranky meals out with everyone knowing in advance what they're going to get, and occasionally even locked in with a call-ahead table and food reservation.

Have you changed habits, or are you experiencing changes in your experience because of how other diners are now dealing with their meals?

Due to at risk MIL we still mostly do takeout. I normally go get it. This weekend when I picked up our order there were maybe five tables occupied in the restaurant, about one tenth full. I think there were three people working the front of the house. That’s it.

Reactions: dovervolz and AshG
Honestly we just try to be more patient. Seems like everyone in the food service biz could use a little patience from their customers and a smile...we eat out at the same places pretty regularly and I know they're dealing with short staffs and a lot of changes to protocols..

Reactions: AshG
Most of the private owned places are churning and burning here. (Heck a handful of places never slowed down). We went to Raffertys after church yesterday. They still had tables spread out and nobody was in there. Hopefully they had takeout orders or they won’t be around long.

Reactions: AshG
Pre-Covid take out was about 19% of total sales

It's settled to about 30% of sales now. Take out is up more then dine in is down. We are slightly up in total sales vs 2 years ago. Staffing has improved noticeably. Could still hire 300 people and be in need across my ten locations.

Last edited:
Most of the private owned places are churning and burning here. (Heck a handful of places never slowed down). We went to Raffertys after church yesterday. They still had tables spread out and nobody was in there. Hopefully they had takeout orders or they won’t be around long.

Not sure where you are at but the next time I have a good meal at Rafferty's, it will be the first time...

I love living in a small town in the mountains again, but I miss the restaurant choices of Grand Rapids and Cleveland. Waist line is shrinking, though.

VN Store

Back