Out pace the Gators

GBOVOLS

Ok I know we are still hurt about Oregon and don't have much confidence in this game. We went into Oregon trying to play a fast paced offense against a defense who is use to seeing that and a offense who was a lot faster. Wasn't going to work but that was great practice.

This Florida D is great. I believe though that we can use the fast pace and up-tempo to wear that D-Line and LB's down. I don't care how good you are a tired D is a bad one.

We also will have to force 3 and outs and that is possible. No one on Florida's line is moving McCullers we just need our ends to keep contain(I know easier said than done) we don't have to worry much about them throwing the ball.

Reactions: 1 person
Ok I know we are still hurt about Oregon and don't have much confidence in this game. We went into Oregon trying to play a fast paced offense against a defense who is use to seeing that and a offense who was a lot faster. Wasn't going to work but that was great practice.

This Florida D is great. I believe though that we can use the fast pace and up-tempo to wear that D-Line and LB's down. I don't care how good you are a tired D is a bad one.

We also will have to force 3 and outs and that is possible. No one on Florida's line is moving McCullers we just need our ends to keep contain(I know easier said than done) we don't have to worry much about them throwing the ball.

If our backs will follow the line and push the pile forward this can happen. If they dance around looking for it, it will be a long day. Oregon's ugly plays gained 6 yards.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree

I noticed Miami's tempo had Easley sucking wind and standing on the sideline late in the first. However if you are going to go tempo then you better move the chains or you're just going give them the ball over and over. The defense would be gassed. But it seems that happens every week with UT.

I agree

I noticed Miami's tempo had Easley sucking wind and standing on the sideline late in the first. However if you are going to go tempo then you better move the chains or you're just going give them the ball over and over. The defense would be gassed. But it seems that happens every week with UT.

Yeah crazy how we still don't have any depth. They need to workout in Colorado.

I am much less concerned right now with match ups and tactics than I am what might be going on in the players' heads. If their heads and hearts are right then this should be a much better opportunity for them to look good.

UF is down a couple of OL's and has struggled on O some. They want to be a run first, pro set team which kind of plays into the strength of UT's D rather than away from it as Oregon's did. If I am not mistaken, Driskell and their best back are playing with nagging injuries.

The "opportunity" is that UT needs production from the passing game. If that means replacing Worley, throwing only to RB's, or whatever else... UT needs production.

I wish Jones and staff would pull some 2007 Vols game film and study Cut's much maligned "dink and dunk" offense. Easy throw, easy catches, easy reads,.... 5 yards, line up, do it again.

Reactions: 2 people
I think we should spread the D out 4 wide and let Croom play a TE/WR hybrid in the slot. He would be a match-up nightmare that could make a couple big plays for us. Let Josh Smith do what he does best run drag routes

Pace means **** if you don't make a first down. Everything should revolve around that. I agree with SJT's point above. Move the chains and let the rest sort itself out, fast or slow. Also heaven help us because we need to run the ball and UF is pretty frickin solid at stuffing the run.

Pace means **** if you don't make a first down. Everything should revolve around that. I agree with SJT's point above. Move the chains and let the rest sort itself out, fast or slow. Also heaven help us because we need to run the ball and UF is pretty frickin solid at stuffing the run.

Well you have to with pace cause you don't want to play a power game with this D. If you let them stay home and freely shoot gaps we won't make first downs. If you get them tired and make them have to think now you have the advantage.

ustrip.gif

Miami 21 Florida 16

We are due a break....and it is high time for Florida to be broken.

Well you have to with pace cause you don't want to play a power game with this D. If you let them stay home and freely shoot gaps we won't make first downs. If you get them tired and make them have to think now you have the advantage.

Sounds awesome but if we go 3 and out in half the time the D gets half the rest. Get a first down, however you can.

I think we should spread the D out 4 wide and let Croom play a TE/WR hybrid in the slot. He would be a match-up nightmare that could make a couple big plays for us. Let Josh Smith do what he does best run drag routes

Only if Croom starts catching the ball better. Downs is more of a threat right now. IMO, he's an underutilized asset.

Oh, IIRC, Ainge played much of that season in the shotgun due to a broken left hand, right?

Sounds awesome but if we go 3 and out in half the time the D gets half the rest. Get a first down, however you can.

Well if you try to play their game you loose man. The pace isn't going to wear on them instantly it's going to take a Quarter of fast pace drives to do so. No only do they have to get first downs the D has to man up and get off the field on third down so it's a two way street.

If you can't run your offense more crisply than the disaster that is this Gator O, then you're in for a loooooong season.

Well if you try to play their game you loose man. The pace isn't going to wear on them instantly it's going to take a Quarter of fast pace drives to do so. No only do they have to get first downs the D has to man up and get off the field on third down so it's a two way street.

TBH I don't know what "our" game is. Our line and QB haven't been recruited or groomed for this offense. The best we've looked is when we slowed down in the second half of WKU. The recievers are young, it will be loud, I'm ok if they don't rush around, run the wrong routes, force the throw and go three and out. You say our game is to go fast, I say our coaches game is to do that and he's playing with someone else's recruits.

I think we should be worried about the FL Offense passing.
They put up some nice yards in the U game, and against UT last year.
Their issues are not on play making, its a composure issue.
Their QB wets his panties when he gets them in the Red Zone.
We didn't want to turnover downs against O trying on 4th in our side of the field.
It may pay out to go on 4th and any distance against FL.
They seem to do worse offensive the closer they get to scoring.
All of that will not mean much however, if we cannot move the ball on offense ourselves.

I just hope to see a well planned game, a well played game, and most importantly no more injuries. The rest will tke care of itself.

I just hope the Vols are able to score and are not shut out, somehow I think this is a distinct possibility. I'm not a nega-Vol, but the closer we get to game time the more worried I get. Obviously, I do indeed hope I'm wrong!
Go Vols

Florida's offense is pretty bad. It doesn't help that the coaching staff has their best running back playing second string.

With the Florida miscues, fumbles, stupid penalties, take-aways and just overall undisciplined and sloppy play, I expect this to be a long day.

I guarantee you Driskel will get sacked a few times and most likely lose a fumble off one of those sacks. Dude just can't seem to get rid of the ball.

Oh yeah, might rain too.... (more fumbles, anyone?)

Tennessee has a great chance at a win here. Just sayin'

Last edited:

Iirc, Muschamp plays two different personnels on defense. Rests one the entire 3rd quarter so that they'll be fresh in the 4th. Gator fans, did I hear that last year?

If that's true, it would really discount whatever pace we used.

VN Store

Back