peaygolf’s Countdown to Kickoff-2024

50 days…..

Fuad Reveiz- 1982 vs Memphis State.

A week before this game, Reveiz set the SEC record, one that still stands, by nailing a 60-yarder against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. He was en route to the greatest place-kicking season in Tennessee football history.

However, this was his most standout performance. Reveiz became only the second kicker in UT history to nail five field goals in a game, joining Alan Duncan, who did it against the Kentucky Wildcats in 1978.

What stands out about this game, though, is that Reveiz didn’t just make five field goals. He also nailed two field goals from beyond 50 yards, which is why this one managed to stand out in a huge way.

1720837120053.jpeg

Last edited:
49 Days.............

Bert Rechichar- 1950 vs Washington & Lee

The Vols looked poised to return to national prominence off that momentum with stars like Doug Atkins, Hank Lauricella, Ted Daffer, Bill “Pug” Pearman. However, they suffered a horrible upset loss to the Mississippi State Aggies in the second game of the season.

After rebounding to win three straight and get to 4-1, UT was back in the top 10 and back in the national title hunt. The Washington and Lee Generals, though, were 4-1 and in a dream season en route to a Southern Conference Championship.

Well, they nearly pulled off a huge upset against the Vols here. However, Bert Rechichar made sure the game would be in hand. Rechichar had an interception returned for a touchdown and a punt returned for a touchdown, two amazing plays, to spot the Vols a 27-6 first-half lead.

Now, in the fourth quarter, the Generals made a valiant comeback to cut the game to 27-20. However, they couldn’t close the deal, and Rechichar’s second-half play was the reason for that. As the Vols went on to finish 11-1 and win the national title, this game could have derailed them. But it didn’t, and that’s due to Rechichar.

1720884179302.png

Last edited:
49 Days.............

Bert Rechichar- 1950 vs Washington & Lee

The Vols looked poised to return to national prominence off that momentum with stars like Doug Atkins, Hank Lauricella, Ted Daffer, Bill “Pug” Pearman. However, they suffered a horrible upset loss to the Mississippi State Aggies in the second game of the season.

After rebounding to win three straight and get to 4-1, UT was back in the top 10 and back in the national title hunt. The Washington and Lee Generals, though, were 4-1 and in a dream season en route to a Southern Conference Championship.

Well, they nearly pulled off a huge upset against the Vols here. However, Bert Rechichar made sure the game would be in hand. Rechichar had an interception returned for a touchdown and a punt returned for a touchdown, two amazing plays, to spot the Vols a 27-6 first-half lead.

Now, in the fourth quarter, the Generals made a valiant comeback to cut the game to 27-20. However, they couldn’t close the deal, and Rechichar’s second-half play was the reason for that. As the Vols went on to finish 11-1 and win the national title, this game could have derailed them. But it didn’t, and that’s due to Rechichar.

View attachment 658384
This guy was such a character. Kind of guy you could have listened to him talk for hours.

I’ve tried to come up with the Top 50 individual game performances in UT football history.

Many early games don’t have stats, so I can’t really include them. I’ve done my best and hope everyone enjoys the countdown……

This will be an interesting thread to monitor as the season approaches.

48 days - Condredge Holloway - 1973 vs Ga Tech

KNOXVILLE, Tenn., Oct. 13 (UPI)—Condredge Holloway, a scrambling quarterback, turned busted plays into two touchdowns today as Tennessee beat Georgia Tech, 20‐14.

Holloway, a junior, threw 11 yards to Bill Rudder for one touchdown, then ran 20 yards for another touchdown on his team's next possession. The two scores built a 14‐7 half‐time lead for Tennessee.

Coach Bill Battle described the play of Holloway as “indescribable.”

Holloway’s 20 yard TD has become legendary, breaking at least 6 tackles to give the home crowd reason to celebrate a Vols victory.

1720937986415.jpeg

48 days - Condredge Holloway - 1973 vs Ga Tech

KNOXVILLE, Tenn., Oct. 13 (UPI)—Condredge Holloway, a scrambling quarterback, turned busted plays into two touchdowns today as Tennessee beat Georgia Tech, 20‐14.

Holloway, a junior, threw 11 yards to Bill Rudder for one touchdown, then ran 20 yards for another touchdown on his team's next possession. The two scores built a 14‐7 half‐time lead for Tennessee.

Coach Bill Battle described the play of Holloway as “indescribable.”

Holloway’s 20 yard TD has become legendary, breaking at least 6 tackles to give the home crowd reason to celebrate a Vols victory.

View attachment 658701

That run was freaking amazing. I kind of love that thinner looking T on the helmet.

47 days - Stanley Morgan vs Hawaii 1975

After a disappointing loss to Vandy, UT traveled to Hawaii to finish out a tough season, but the epic performance Stanley Morgan displayed helped ease some pain.

Finally healthy, Morgan opened the scoring with a 63 yard punt return for a TD and scored two more rushing touchdowns in the Vols 28-6 win. With only 11 carries, Morgan broke Curt Watson’s single game rushing record with 201 yards.

IMG_5023.jpeg

47 days - Stanley Morgan vs Hawaii 1975

After a disappointing loss to Vandy, UT traveled to Hawaii to finish out a tough season, but the epic performance Stanley Morgan displayed helped ease some pain.

Finally healthy, Morgan opened the scoring with a 63 yard punt return for a TD and scored two more rushing touchdowns in the Vols 28-6 win. With only 11 carries, Morgan broke Curt Watson’s single game rushing record with 201 yards.

View attachment 659025
One of my all time favorite players.

Also this is my favorite old video, from that trip to Hawaii.

46 Days - Greg Jones vs Vanderbilt 1977

The final game of the 1977 season featured the Vols wearing all Orange for the first time in school history and the end for 19 seniors.

No senior rose to the occasion better than Bristol, Tn's Greg Jones. Jones had an interception, a fumble recovery, a pass deflection, and 25 total tackles in the Vols 42-17 win over Vandy.

To this day, only one other Vol has ever recorded more tackles in a single game than Greg Jones.

1721135580821.png

Last edited:

The final game of the 1977 season featured the Vols wearing all Orange for the first time in school history and the end for 19 seniors.

No senior rose to the occasion better than Bristol, Tn's Greg Jones. Jones had an interception, a fumble recovery, a pass deflection, and 25 total tackles in the Vols 42-17 win over Vandy.

To this day, only one other Vol has ever recorded more tackles in a single game than Greg Jones.

View attachment 659297
That’s an insane #of tackles. That’s one mean look he’s giving the coach. A lot of frustration being leveled on Vandy since we were winless in the conference going into that game.

View attachment 659297

I sent a screenshot of this to his cousin a while ago. He responded and thanked me for sharing and that Greg was over at the house.

45 days - Darrell Taylor vs Kentucky 2018

UT was 4-5 and facing #11 Kentucky, needing a statement game. Thanks to Darrell Taylor’s performance, the Vols were able to upset UK 24-7.

Taylor had a huge game earlier in the season vs Georgia, but his dominance versus the Wildcats was on another level. Taylor forced a fumble, recovered a fumble, and terrorized his way to four sacks. He was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Week and was the Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week as well. His four sacks tied Reggie White for the second most in a single game in school history..

1721222039233.jpeg

44 days - Hubert Simpson vs Notre Dame 1979

The Vols had just lost to Rutgers, Hubert Simpson was making his first start at fullback, and mighty Notre Dame was waltzing into Neyland. What started out as a promising season looked as though the wheels were coming off.

What happened that rainy Saturday is still one of my favorite sports moments I’ve ever witnessed in person.

Hubert Simpson’s career was mired in poor choices, but for one day, he became a true legend.

The Vols played flawlessly behind Jimmy Streater’s duel threat abilities and a tenacious defense, but Hubert Simpson’s 117 yards rushing and 4 Touchdowns stole the show. His relentless pounding kept the ball away from the Irish once UT established the lead and was the major reason UT upset Notre Dame 40-18.

Simpson would eventually get kicked off the team before the following season, but his legacy was cemented because of this one single game. If not for his performance and UT victory, I don’t think UT would have managed a bowl game in ‘79 and doubt Majors would have been given much more time to rebuild the program.

1721316569285.png

43 days - Reggie White vs The Citadel 1983

After starting the season 1-2, UT traveled to Memphis to play 1AA The Citadel. A sparse crowd of 20,000, including a young 13 year old named peaygolf, witnessed one of the most dominating defensive performances in Vols history.

Tennessee’s offense struggled early, holding a 6-0 lead after the 1st quarter, but the defense kept the Bulldogs at bey.

Reggie White was already a star, but his dominance in this game was unlike anything I’ve personally witnessed. White was constantly in the backfield, tipping passes, tackling rushers as soon as they took the handoff, and disrupting the QB all afternoon. In total, White set a then record of 4 QB sacks in UTs 45-6 victory.

White would go on to have 15 sacks during the season and was named All-American.

IMG_5028.png

44 days - Hubert Simpson vs Notre Dame 1979

The Vols had just lost to Rutgers, Hubert Simpson was making his first start at fullback, and mighty Notre Dame was waltzing into Neyland. What started out as a promising season looked as though the wheels were coming off.

What happened that rainy Saturday is still one of my favorite sports moments I’ve ever witnessed in person.

Hubert Simpson’s career was mired in poor choices, but for one day, he became a true legend.

The Vols played flawlessly behind Jimmy Streater’s duel threat abilities and a tenacious defense, but Hubert Simpson’s 117 yards rushing and 4 Touchdowns stole the show. His relentless pounding kept the ball away from the Irish once UT established the lead and was the major reason UT upset Notre Dame 40-18.

Simpson would eventually get kicked off the team before the following season, but his legacy was cemented because of this one single game. If not for his performance and UT victory, I don’t think UT would have managed a bowl game in ‘79 and doubt Majors would have been given much more time to rebuild the program.

View attachment 659835
Simpson was a fixture at parties around the Fort - everyone wanted him to join in the fun and he would be happy to partake. I was at both the ND victory and the Rutgers debacle. The whole team must have been out with Simpson before Rutgers. Sleepwalking and getting ground down by a much less talented team. Week later they dominated ND. Inconsistency plagued the Vols under Majors.

42 days…..Tony Robinson vs Auburn 1985

Tennessee hosted #1 Auburn early in the ‘85 season. UT had tied UCLA, but most everyone expected an easy Tiger victory.

The Vols defense was great all day, but Tony Robinson stole the show and ended up on the cover of Sports Illustrated and into Heisman contention.

During the first drive of the game Robinson led UT on a 76 yrd drive, highlighted by a 39 yrd run. Robinson would throw two TD passes following Auburn turnovers, and the added two more TDs in the fourth quarter. His last two closed the door on any Auburn comeback.

Tony Robinson finished the day 17-30 for 259 yards an 4 TDs. This game was the starting point for the Sugar Vols.

There have bigger and better stat days in UT history, but this day in late September deserves recognition as one of the greats…..thank you TR

IMG_5031.jpeg

41 days - Hank Lauricella vs Texas 1951 Cotton Bowl

Tennessee entered the 1951 Cotton Bowl with a 10-1 record, losing only to Mississippi State in the second game of the 1950 season. The Vols had outscored their opponents 315-57 over the course of the season and had only two close games in their 10 wins, a 14-9 comeback victory over Alabama and a 27-20 decision over Washington & Lee.

Hank Lauricella was a perfect fit for Neyland’s Single Wing offense. He could throw, punt, called his own plays and could flat out run the football as well as anyone has in UT history.

In the Cotton Bowl, Lauricella didn’t score. He didn’t throw a TD pass. What he did do was execute the offense to near perfection. Lauricella ran for 131 yards on the day, but it was his dynamic 75 yard run that set up the Vols first score of the day that stands out. Quite frankly, it’s one of the greatest runs in college football history. Trailing 13-7 at the start of the 4th quarter, Lauicella engineered two scoring drives that gave UT a 20-14 victory.

I can still hear my grandmother and grandfather talking about that game. When they tell me it’s the greatest individual performance they have ever witnessed, it has to be on my list……

Take one minute out of your day to watch the 75 yrd run……

1951 Cotton Bowl - Texas vs Tennessee | Watch Now - Y8.com

IMG_5033.jpeg

VN Store

Back