Players from Disadvantaged Backgrounds

sjsmith87

Just read this story on Alabama's (now Charger's) D.J. Fluker...

The house D.J. Fluker bought Page 1 of 5 | UTSanDiego.com

Stories like these are great, no matter what team a kid plays for. Have we ever had situations like this with current or former players? Also, are schools prohibited from assisting the families of these players?

Ready for kickoff in a few weeks... GBO!! :thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person
I'd say about 49% of football players come from "socioeconomically disenfranchised" environments. Nothing new here.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd say about 49% of football players come from "socioeconomically disenfranchised" environments. Nothing new here.

Gdmit ...you beat me to punch again.Well done.

Edit: I think you're a little conservative on your figures...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Also, are schools prohibited from assisting the families of these players?

Eric Berry left early in part b/c his parents were facing foreclosure on their house.
His dad got laid off in when the recession hit.

Eric decided he needed to jump ship and make some pro contract signing money in order to save his parents from losing their house.

I remember discussions about if the school should help.
IIRC Ut was unable to offer any help, per NCAA rules.

Eric Berry left early in part b/c his parents were facing foreclosure on their house.

Eric decided he needed to jump ship and make some pro contract signing money in order to save his parents from losing their house.

If the NCAA were a person it would look like some white democratic politician or Jesse Jackson.

Reactions: 6 people
Players from disadvantaged backgrounds have an excuse if they screw up later in life.

The first thing these guys should get is a financial advisor and get on a allowance so that they do not become a statistic.. 2/3 of all NFL players file for bankruptcy within 5 years of leaving the league.. Sad but true

Reactions: 1 person
I know we had one former player with similar hardships while growing up. Inky Johnson. If you get a chance, read his book. It's well worth it.

some of you boys are on the wrong forum. . .and frankly I do not get a crap about DJ Fluker

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

While some of what you say might be true, the cap on rookie salaries to be implemented the following year had something to do with EB leaving as well. Had he waited one more year it could have cost him 10s of millions of dollars. A bunch of underclassmen declared for that reason.

VN Store

Back