Playoff Picture

bpalmer28

How likely is it that Tennessee makes the playoffs?

The 5 highest ranked conference champs get in. Based on current rankings, that'd be:

1. Texas
3. Ohio State
7. Miami
10. Utah
25. Boise State

For the sake of discussion, let's pretend Bama and UGA beat us. In that scenario, you have to think they both get in - even if UGA ends up with 2 losses because of their SOS.

As long as Ole Miss handles LSU in Baton Rouge they should get in. Geaux Tigers.

Oregon has a very favorable schedule. They'll be favored in all but one game.

It looks like as long as Penn State beats USC or OSU, they'll finish 11-1. If they lose to USC, then USC would likely replace them as a 1-loss Big 10 team.

The ACC should get two teams in. It could be that Louisville takes 2 of 3 from ND, Miami, and Clemson. Another scenario is for Clemson or Notre Dame to run the table. It is possible for them both to finish 11-1, as they don't play each other and neither has to play Miami. In that case, the ACC could get 3 teams in - so let's just root for Louisville to handle business.

That's 11 teams... I think a 10-2 Tennessee would be the 12th - ahead of a 1-loss Big 12 team.

But this is not a situation I want to be in because:

1. Missouri could do the unthinkable and beat everyone except Alabama. That would knock us out.
2. The ACC could end up with three 1-loss or better teams. That could knock us out.
3. Michigan could beat either Oregon or Ohio State and win the rest of their games. That would knock us out.
4. Things that nobody expects will happen, will happen.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
Way too early but USC doesn't look like a team that can go 10-2. I do think that it may happen to be that we will need to beat Alabama or Georgia to get in. The only exception is if NC State and Oklahoma actually get their sh1t together and win a lot of games or Arkansas ends up winning 8-9 games and ranked.

Washington could play spoiler in the Big 10... tough schedule. Michigan, USC, Penn State, Oregon.

Reactions: WillisWG
Subjective on my part but the ACC is perceived as so weak this year I don’t think they should get 3 teams in. Also if notre Dame gets in after losing to Northern Illinois the playoff system is a joke.
That's a fair point. A 10-2 Tennessee team looks better than a 11-1 ND with that loss on their resume.

Reactions: StoneokeyVol
How likely is it that Tennessee makes the playoffs?

The 5 highest ranked conference champs get in. Based on current rankings, that'd be:

1. Texas
3. Ohio State
7. Miami
10. Utah
25. Boise State

For the sake of discussion, let's pretend Bama and UGA beat us. In that scenario, you have to think they both get in - even if UGA ends up with 2 losses because of their SOS.

As long as Ole Miss handles LSU in Baton Rouge they should get in. Geaux Tigers.

Oregon has a very favorable schedule. They'll be favored in all but one game.

It looks like as long as Penn State beats USC or OSU, they'll finish 11-1. If they lose to USC, then USC would likely replace them as a 1-loss Big 10 team.

The ACC should get two teams in. It could be that Louisville takes 2 of 3 from ND, Miami, and Clemson. Another scenario is for Clemson or Notre Dame to run the table. It is possible for them both to finish 11-1, as they don't play each other and neither has to play Miami. In that case, the ACC could get 3 teams in - so let's just root for Louisville to handle business.

That's 11 teams... I think a 10-2 Tennessee would be the 12th - ahead of a 1-loss Big 12 team.

But this is not a situation I want to be in because:

1. Missouri could do the unthinkable and beat everyone except Alabama. That would knock us out.
2. The ACC could end up with three 1-loss or better teams. That could knock us out.
3. Michigan could beat either Oregon or Ohio State and win the rest of their games. That would knock us out.
4. Things that nobody expects will happen, will happen.

Did I miss anything?

And we thought if they would only go to 12 teams it would be so much more easy to figure out…lol

I see us beating the Bammers in K-town and playing Georgia really close... 11-1 will be a great year. Win out and it'll be a fantastic year. If we win a natty, I may never sober up. Just may purchase controlling interest in Jack Daniels or Wild Turkey.

GO VOLS!!!!

We're screwed

Those two teams aren’t the best teams in the SEC,” Cowherd said about Georgia and Alabama. “I’m going to call it right now. Tennessee is going to win the National Championship. I came on this show before the Oklahoma game and I said that Oklahoma, they’re not going to score. Tennessee’s got the best defense in college football. Excellent coach. Explosive offensively. I think Tennessee is the best team I’ve seen.”

Last edited:
Reactions: volfeeva
That's a fair point. A 10-2 Tennessee team looks better than a 11-1 ND with that loss on their resume.

As things stand, Northern Illinois could be in the playoffs as an automatic qualifier. We need Notre Dame to lose another, or NIU needs to lose.

Win 6 of the next 8 and we're in . Win 7 of the next 8 and we host a playoff game . Win 8 of the next 8 and we get a bye .
The teams that get the bye will have a big time advantages because when these playoffs start it will be brutal keeping players healthy. The championship will come down more to what teams can stay healthy than who had the best talent IMHO

Reactions: #1n51&98
Just for the sake of the unthinkable, but possible, TENN Ole Miss and Missouri go undefeated all year, none play each other so it’s totally possible. What happens? Who goes to SEC championship game?

For the sake of discussion, let's pretend Bama and UGA beat us.

This is a dumb meaningless discussion this early in the season. Too many factors come into play. Like how you lose. And what other teams do.

Instead of worrying about losses that might never happen. How bout we focus on the season at hand and winning every game we play. Cause with the way we're playing right now I don't expect us to lose to either Alabama or Georgia.

The teams that get the bye will have a big time advantages because when these playoffs start it will be brutal keeping players healthy. The championship will come down more to what teams can stay healthy than who had the best talent IMHO
Deeper teams , that were able to manage playing time during the regular season . Should have a huge advantage in the 12 team CFP format. I think the VOLS could be one of those teams . Got to get there first though

VN Store

Back