PLEASE ANSWER ME THIS

mscc1998

As I was listening to the Volcast on the radio like I always do while watching it on TV, Kessling and his color commentator said when Arkansas scored the last touchdown to go ahead, he said "I'm not sure if they (Tennessee) didn't just let them score". Were they thinking we could punch one down field in a quick strike?
At that point, given the way they played, giving up 16 points with around a minute to play, I held out little hope. Granted, if all they needed was a FG, then maybe.
Thoughts

Reactions: CLT MAN
If we didn’t let them score, they were going to be able to run the clock all the way down and kick basically an extra point to win.

The real failure was not being able to execute a 4 minute offense and seal the win.
Exactly. If they don't score a td we never touch the ball again.

Not sure any previous staff would have made that call but it had to be done

We might could have won if we just sustained a drive and ran down clock. The offense was just horrible. What happened to us is we gave Arkansas decent field position and then they were going to methodically drive down for the chip shot FG. Field position and clock time were against us.

I was more mad about Heupel’s failure to call a timeout with 35 seconds left and Nico running out of bounds on the last play.

100%. Nico is a freshman who will learn from mistakes. Coach should know better and have better time management skills. 18 seconds was wasted and could have made a huge difference.

I don't hate the decision...IF you have the Offense to score 6 in 1:17 from your own 25...

Tennessee DOESN'T HAVE THAT OFFENSE!!!!

AND...instead of "getting better"...the Coach/Coaches FORGOT how the 2021 Ole Miss Game ended. You can't "get better" if you REPEAT mistakes.

I don't hate the decision...IF you have the Offense to score 6 in 1:17 from your own 25...

AND...instead of "getting better"...the Coach/Coaches FORGOT how the 2021 Ole Miss Game ended. You can't "get better" if you REPEAT mistakes.

Well we almost had that offense. Hit a huge play to gain a lot of what we needed then we let time tick off the clock for no reason

It doesn’t matter what the offense is like. Having them on the field at the end of the game is preferable to the other team having a chip shot FG to win as time expires. IMO, the odds of going 75 yards with a couple timeouts are better than blocking, or them missing, a 25 yd. FG.

Reactions: BADGER_VOL
Well we almost had that offense. Hit a huge play to gain a lot of what we needed then we let time tick off the clock for no reason
Oh...and Heupel has PROVEN he's ABOUT as Good at Clock Management...as a 14-year-old Girl!

Oh...and Heupel has PROVEN he's ABOUT as Good at Clock Management...as a 14-year-old Girl!

I legitimately had no idea what happened live. I was hyped over the big play and saw 35 seconds left thinking “holy **** we might pull this out” and the next thing I know the clock is at 17 seconds 💀

Reactions: TAF
hard to identify this team. I knew all weak that Arkansas might beat us. Sad to see it happen. Playing away games are hard. Let’s see how Josh responds.
Every week any team in the SEC can beat you. Especially if you jump offsides and start at 1st & 15. That basically takes away the Vols O advantage IMO. They run D Samp on 1st 10 he gets 4 to 6 yards then you have 2 downs to keep them guessing and puts them on their heels but jumping offsides took that away from us the 1st half. The one time they didn't jump we got a lineman downfield taking away a 25-yard pass and the penalty put us behind the chains again. This is the anatomy of how to stop the UT O, the bad thing was we stopped ourselves the 1st half with dumb mistakes. Then come out 2nd half without those hiccups, score 2 TDS then it starts again.
With the transfer portal, if a team like Vanderbilt who has a winner playing QB, plays a clean game no turnovers and they got a pick 6 off of Milroe and stripped him to recover a fumble on sack, if any team plays a clean game in the SEC and you shoot yourself in the foot you can get beat any given Saturday. The Portal has taken the 4-star big school bench warmers ST players to school they can start being a star and make a dime or 2.

100%. Nico is a freshman who will learn from mistakes. Coach should know better and have better time management skills. 18 seconds was wasted and could have made a huge difference.
If Heupel calls that timeout the run out of bounds is a first down and we still have 15 seconds or so left and a shot. Nico has to get the ball up and everyone managed the 1:15 left badly. Nico is young and will learn from it. We hope the whole staff learned some hard lessons.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Letting them score was unfortunately the smartest coaching decision of the second half. It was the best decision in game management by Heupel and Banks. Our time management was terrible though.

Reactions: BADGER_VOL
Pretty obvious we let them score as the staff felt better about our odds of winning on offense than them missing a chipshot FG.
I wish heupel would’ve had that mentality on our second to last drive. Both 1st down plays on that drive started with an inside run that gained only a couple of yards. You’d like to see your coach decide he’s not giving the ball back to the other team and have a couple of designed quarterback keepers. With four downs… It’s hard to imagine if we were emptying the playbook we couldn’t have picked up enough first downs to run out the clock.

Reactions: volfeeva
I wish heupel would’ve had that mentality on our second to last drive. Both 1st down plays on that drive started with an inside run that gained only a couple of yards. You’d like to see your coach decide he’s not giving the ball back to the other team and have a couple of designed quarterback keepers. With four downs… It’s hard to imagine if we were emptying the playbook we couldn’t have picked up enough first downs to run out the clock.
That comes from playing to win instead of playing to not lose. Vandy didn't set on a 3 point lead late against Bama cause they wanted the win. Good teams have that mentality to win , to score on every possession,

Every week any team in the SEC can beat you. Especially if you jump offsides and start at 1st & 15. That basically takes away the Vols O advantage IMO. They run D Samp on 1st 10 he gets 4 to 6 yards then you have 2 downs to keep them guessing and puts them on their heels but jumping offsides took that away from us the 1st half. The one time they didn't jump we got a lineman downfield taking away a 25-yard pass and the penalty put us behind the chains again. This is the anatomy of how to stop the UT O, the bad thing was we stopped ourselves the 1st half with dumb mistakes. Then come out 2nd half without those hiccups, score 2 TDS then it starts again.
With the transfer portal, if a team like Vanderbilt who has a winner playing QB, plays a clean game no turnovers and they got a pick 6 off of Milroe and stripped him to recover a fumble on sack, if any team plays a clean game in the SEC and you shoot yourself in the foot you can get beat any given Saturday. The Portal has taken the 4-star big school bench warmers ST players to school they can start being a star and make a dime or 2.
We were honestly lucky to be in that game at all. They made alot of mistakes too. They dominated us in the first half and if they had played clean would have had at least a 2 touchdown lead at halftime.

That comes from playing to win instead of playing to not lose. Vandy didn't set on a 3 point lead late against Bama cause they wanted the win. Good teams have that mentality to win , to score on every possession,
Vandy's QB is a stone cold killer. I wish we had him. No insult to Nico, I still think Nico will be a good one with experience but Pavia is an absolute baller right now.

I don't know the answer to that question but that TD run by the slowest, shortest striding QB I have ever seen was strange. Especially that he went in untouched.

VN Store

Back