Position grades: UT vs APSU

VOLywood

Since I've always enjoyed reading the "position grades" articles on the Knox News site (whether I agree or not), and since GVX has now gone behind a pay wall (and therefore lost my web traffic), I was happy to discover that nooga.com is now doing the same style of post-game write up.

Nooga.com - Grades: Tennessee vs Austin Peay

Pretty good quality substitution IMO. Just thought I'd share.

Reactions: 11 people
Thanks for that.

The 2 grades that stood out most were:

Coaching - A ( not surprised CBJ gets it)

Special Teams - B+ wow Good job palardy

Reactions: 1 person
I thought the assessments were pretty good also, but not sure about the QB grade. I think Worley managed the game well, but not sure I'd grade him above a B+. I think Peterman underwhelmed when he had a huge chance to make an impression, so I'd probably grade him at C and give the QB's overall a B-.

IF....we have a comfortable lead over WKU this weekend, I'm curious to see who gets the 2nd string QB reps. Will CBJ stick with the development of Peterman even after a shaky performance last week, or will we get to see Ferg or Dobbs? I'd personally like to see Ferg.

Thanks for that.

The 2 grades that stood out most were:

Coaching - A ( not surprised CBJ gets it)

Special Teams - B+ wow Good job palardy

The B+ for special teams surprised me, not because Palardy didn't kick well, but because we had a couple kickoffs where the team didn't tackle well. It was really one of the spots that stood out to me as needing improvement.

Reactions: 2 people
I thought the assessments were pretty good also, but not sure about the QB grade. I think Worley managed the game well, but not sure I'd grade him above a B+. I think Peterman underwhelmed when he had a huge chance to make an impression, so I'd probably grade him at C and give the QB's overall a B-.

IF....we have a comfortable lead over WKU this weekend, I'm curious to see who gets the 2nd string QB reps. Will CBJ stick with the development of Peterman even after a shaky performance last week, or will we get to see Ferg or Dobbs? I'd personally like to see Ferg.

Not sure I'd give Peterman as high as s C grade. More like a D or so. Rough night.

The B+ for special teams surprised me, not because Palardy didn't kick well, but because we had a couple kickoffs where the team didn't tackle well. It was really one of the spots that stood out to me as needing improvement.

Yea but palardy was part of STeams to, and I don't think good job and palardy have ever been in the same sentence. So I had to give him an Atta Boy.

Reactions: 2 people
I see the grade on the receivers as being a little harsh. I didn't see but two or three throws from the QBs that were on-point or capable of running after being caught. A good majority of the throws were too low, too far in front or behind.

Glad to see Worley get some love.
Over 80% completion...
Over 220 QB rating...
0 penalties, 0 sacks, and 0 int ...
The "low" passes are a result of young WR being amped up for their 1st game, and out running their routes.
Many teams would love to have a QB like Worley.

Reactions: 3 people
I see the grade on the receivers as being a little harsh. I didn't see but two or three throws from the QBs that were on-point or capable of running after being caught. A good majority of the throws were too low, too far in front or behind.

If the ball makes contact with a receiver's hands, it needs to be a catch. Two of worley's three incomplete passes hit the receivers in the hands. Another incomplete pass hit Croom in the hands, but was negated because of PI. The throws weren't in stride, and may have been a little low, but those were all reasonably catchable balls.

Quarterback: B
He connected on 11-of-13 passes for 104 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. At least one of his incomplete passes should’ve been caught. He was in good command of the offense and even showed some athleticism, rushing four times for 21 yards

Runningbacks: A
The duo of Rajion Neal and Marlin Lane showed why it has a chance to have a productive year

WR/TE: C+
this group only created one play of 20-plus yards on the evening

OL: A
The veteran unit completely dominated an overmatched Austin Peay defensive front.

DL: A-
In total, the Governors ran for just 79 yards on 27 carries against this unit.

LB: B
The starters – Brent Brewer, A.J. Johnson and Dontavis Sapp – combined for just six tackles. Curt Maggitt (ACL) was held out and it’s still unknown when he’ll make his season debut.

DB:B-
There was perhaps the biggest drop off of any unit here, though, when the backups started coming on the field in the second quarter

Special Teams: B+
Coverage was strong most of the evening with one exception – a first quarter kickoff return by the Governors that included at least five missed tackles for the Vols.

Coaching: A.
There were no penalties, just one turnover and very few mental errors and obvious missed assignments. Even with plenty of substitutions throughout the game, the team looked very organized.

just a few exerts. Great Article as always from the Chattanooga area. Why is Chatt-town beating out Knoxville for coverage of the Vols?! Just sad that KNS sucks so bad.

Reactions: 3 people
Glad to see Worley get some love.
Over 80% completion...
Over 220 QB rating...
0 penalties, 0 sacks, and 0 int ...
The "low" passes are a result of young WR being amped up for their 1st game, and out running their routes.
Many teams would love to have a QB like Worley.

No. Did you not know that Worley is the worst QB in the history football? Obviously these grades are not correct.

OL got an A...I agree with that for the first half.

Second half was not even close to that.

B+ for Worley and C- for the receivers. It seems more likely the routes were broken than Worley misfiring. I'm hoping that was the case. It will all become clear after the WKU game.

I don't care about the level of competition...putting the "0" for the other team has to give the defense some confidence after last season. If the line play on both sides of the ball continues to be stellar, things will be all right.

just a few exerts. Great Article as always from the Chattanooga area. Why is Chatt-town beating out Knoxville for coverage of the Vols?! Just sad that KNS sucks so bad.

I always thought the hometown media should "protect" the school regarding negative press from other papers, not fuel the fire themselves (aka: John Adams). Oh well, at least there are a few good pro-Vols outlets remaining.

I always thought the hometown media should "protect" the school regarding negative press from other papers, not fuel the fire themselves (aka: John Adams). Oh well, at least there are a few good pro-Vols outlets remaining.

Exactly, between Adams and Woodsberry, this might as well be Tusculoosa

OL got an A...I agree with that for the first half.

Second half was not even close to that.

Just bear in mind we ran the same read-option about 30 times in the 2nd Half. Why show your hand when you're up 42-0?

Anyone who thinks UT was going to do anything except for the most vanilla of play-calling is fooling themselves.

Just bear in mind we ran the same read-option about 30 times in the 2nd Half. Why show your hand when you're up 42-0?

Anyone who thinks UT was going to do anything except for the most vanilla of play-calling is fooling themselves.

I agree with that...but we did the pretty much the same thing in the first half...except it worked.

VN Store

Back