Possible tougher road for Vols/Sec to win national title

volplaya8

Reports saying 12 team playoff will be structured with 4/5 conference champions automatically getting top 4/5 seeds. Meaning only one Sec team gets a coveted bye and rest would have to win 4 games to take home a title.

Last edited:
Reactions: wmcovol
Reports saying 12 team playoff with be structured with 4/5 conference champions automatically getting top 4/5 seeds. Meaning only one Sec team gets a coveted bye and rest would have to win 4 games to take home a title.
We may have 6-7 teams worthy of those last spots and I think a realistic expectation is 4 making it in at the very most. I don’t like the auto bids.

Honestly, conference champions deserve a bye, right? I think they'll eventually handle the football playoff similar to how they handle the Champions League (soccer). They will have predetermined number of participants from each conference. The tournament would likely expand to eventually have play in games for the last spot or two from the smaller leagues down the road, as well.

We may have 6-7 teams worthy of those last spots and I think a realistic expectation is 4 making it in at the very most. I don’t like the auto bids.
Yes I am just saying instead of 2-3 Sec teams taking up those top 4 spots and only having to win 3 games as we first thought…every Sec team that doesn’t win the conference is automatically going to have to win 4 games. Not easy road to haul for anyone. Benefits Clemson/Fsu in weak Acc and Big 12 weak champ the most. This also means you are going to see quite a few Sec/Sec matchups and Sec/Big Ten matchups in first round on campuses.

Honestly, conference champions deserve a bye, right? I think they'll eventually handle the football playoff similar to how they handle the Champions League (soccer). They will have predetermined number of participants from each conference. The tournament would likely expand to eventually have play in games for the last spot or two from the smaller leagues down the road, as well.
Imo they don’t deserve anything. Some of those conferences barely deserve an automatic invite at all, but they certainly don’t deserve byes.

Really, three making it is probably more realistic given the media and committee's northern bias. Totally agree on the auto bids, which defeats the whole purpose of picking the "12 best teams". I would have been all for rewarding conference champs when there were actual conferences, but with these Franken-conferences and less traditional rivals playing, does that really matter anymore?

At some point there should just be four 'conferences' with schools divided up regionally (16 or so per 'conference'). Each conference has a 4-team playoff (at school stadiums) for the conference title, then the four conference champs have a 4-team playoff (neutral sites) for the national championship. So you have a 12-game schedule and no more than four additional games - it's clean, and rewards 'conference' champs. No reason the bowls can't continue as well with non-conference champs. Everyone wins.

But that will never happen, because greed will intervene and logic and what's good for the sport will get thrown out the window.

Reports saying 12 team playoff will be structured with 4/5 conference champions automatically getting top 4/5 seeds. Meaning only one Sec team gets a coveted bye and rest would have to win 4 games to take home a title.
If it were just the teams we have to go through to get to the playoffs, I'd be fine. Our biggest problem is that the NCAA is placing mines all along our path in every damned sport it feels like. Until we get those goons out of our hair, I can't imagine contemplating a playoff run much less a natty. Right now I'll be shocked if Nico is still at UT come the fall. No doubt in my mind that if we fail to get the injunction, the NCAA will immediately move to declare him ineligible....at UT, but he'll be free to go anywhere else and be immediately eligible.

I think you could cut/paste from SEC to B10 or B12 or ACC and say the exact same thing.

Only four teams are getting a first-round bye, and it looks like it is gonna be four conference champions. So the SEC gets one, the B10 gets one, the B12 gets one, and the ACC gets one...unless a G5 conference champ is ranked higher than one of those last two (could happen, from time to time).

So only one team of the B10 gets the chance to 'win in three' And only one ACC team does. And apparently, Notre Dame never will (unless they hitch their wagon to the ACC for good).

So I'm not seeing the disadvantage to the SEC. As for the Vols, well, if we first win the conference, we won't have to worry about any of that. ;)

Go Vols!

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I think this was always the plan. Despite what some on here say, it actually places more emphasis on the conference title games. The real shame of it, is that w/ the bye in the CFP the top 4 seeds don’t get a home game. They have to travel to a quarterfinal bowl site. I think that’s absurd. Selfishly, I love the idea of being a 5-8 seed because we would get to see Neyland Stadium in a playoff atmosphere.

The group of 5 team automatically getting in is a joke. Unless they are actually ranked 12 or higher in the college football playoff poll. This year it would have been Liberty. Where were they ranked in the polls after the conference championship games?

Not exactly.

The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids. The top four teams will receive a first-round bye to the quarterfinals.
The six highest-ranked teams remaining will round out the 12-team format

The pac-12 will still be included for this season even though there are only 2 teams left.

I think you could cut/paste from SEC to B10 or B12 or ACC and say the exact same thing.

Only four teams are getting a first-round bye, and it looks like it is gonna be four conference champions. So the SEC gets one, the B10 gets one, the B12 gets one, and the ACC gets one...unless a G5 conference champ is ranked higher than one of those last two (could happen, from time to time).

So only one team of the B10 gets the chance to 'win in three' And only one ACC team does. And apparently, Notre Dame never will (unless they hitch their wagon to the ACC for good).

So I'm not seeing the disadvantage to the SEC. As for the Vols, well, if we first win the conference, we won't have to worry about any of that. ;)

Go Vols!
The disadvantage is no Acc or Big 12 team is a top 4 team…making it easier for them and harder for a second/third place Sec team/Big Ten team that is actually a top 4 ranked team. If Vols were to ever finish as Sec runners up I sure would rather have 3 games ahead of me instead of 4 based on fatigue level and injury risk alone before even talking about how hard it would be to navigate 4 more games…which is 1/3 rd of overall regular season and 1/2 of an Sec schedule added to back end of season. Very tough sledding for anyone.

Last edited:
Not exactly.

The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids. The top four teams will receive a first-round bye to the quarterfinals.
The six highest-ranked teams remaining will round out the 12-team format

The pac-12 will still be included for this season even though there are only 2 teams left.
They are now saying the top 4 conference champs will get those byes. It has or is going to be updated that way.

Unless it's changed, the highest ranked 6 conference champs get in. The highest ranked 4 get first round byes.

That likely means the SEC, Big 10, ACC, and Big 12 champs get the byes.

With no more PAC 12, that means the likely other two are the AAC champ and a Mountain West or C-USA team.

New Championship Format

12 Teams Selected (1 plays 12, 2 plays 11, etc)

The Two Teams that score the most points go to Championship Game

Winner

If it were just the teams we have to go through to get to the playoffs, I'd be fine. Our biggest problem is that the NCAA is placing mines all along our path in every damned sport it feels like. Until we get those goons out of our hair, I can't imagine contemplating a playoff run much less a natty. Right now I'll be shocked if Nico is still at UT come the fall. No doubt in my mind that if we fail to get the injunction, the NCAA will immediately move to declare him ineligible....at UT, but he'll be free to go anywhere else and be immediately eligible.
He won’t be at UT next fall probaly be with USC.

VN Store

Back