PotS To Perform At Bristol Motor Speedway

PotS

You can't say f orum here
Maybe this belongs in the NASCAR forum, but here goes.

BRISTOL, Tenn. - The University of Tennessee's Pride of the Southland Marching Band will perform on the oval at Bristol Motor Speedway prior to the start of NASCAR's IRWIN Tools Night Race on Saturday, Aug. 24 at 7:30 p.m. ET.

"The Pride of the Southland Marching Band is honored to be a part of the pageantry and excitement of performing at Bristol Motor Speedway," said Dr. Gary Sousa, director of bands at UT. "It will be a tremendous thrill for our students to play in this world famous Tennessee venue and on this massive stage. We are looking forward to putting on a great show for everyone."

Link

I am curious, though. The article states "100-Piece Contingent Lends Talent To IRWIN Tools Night Race."

That tells me they're sending a pep band. Are they just going to arc up in the infield and play stand tunes? Are they going to setup like they do for the annual Miller Park concert in Chattanooga? Why only send the pep band? Pretty steep banking to actually "perform on the oval" as stated above.

Something just doesn't sit right about this.

I am going to the night race, in the process of looking into an extra experience I was thinking about going in early, the person mention there was a concert and the tour around Bristol, but since I am driving to HH after the race I was not going to not head that way too early. Maybe they are playing from the stage on the infield.

Think the band can learn a new song by race time? How about:

Going The Distance, by Cake

“Reluctantly crouched at the starting line,
Engines pumping and thumping in time.
The green light flashes, the flags goes up,
Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup.”

Off topic I know, but does anyone know if PotS will be traveling to Oregon?

Historically, the full band gets 1 big trip each year, and that big trip is usually to Florida (with Friday spent at the beach in Jacksonville).

Since going to Oregon is a rare opportunity, they may elect to send the full band to Oregon, and only a pep band to Florida. Sending a pep band to the Swamp isn't unprecedented, we did it in 2005, and then sent the full band to Chicago for the Notre Dame game.

Either way, it'll probably still be a pep band going to Missouri, with the full band only making trips elsewhere to Alabama and Kentucky.

Long story short, there will at least be a pep band present to play Rocky Top in Autzen.

Think the band can learn a new song by race time? How about:

Going The Distance, by Cake

“Reluctantly crouched at the starting line,
Engines pumping and thumping in time.
The green light flashes, the flags goes up,
Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup.”
Do you really want a 300 piece marching band playing Cake? While it would be funny the first time you know they'd play the s__ out of it for the next 20 years.

Just something to consider

BRISTOL, TN - As the Last Great Colosseum prepares to feel the thunder of 43 850-horsepower chariots and NASCAR's famed gladiators get set to battle on its infamous banks, spectators awaiting the main event will be treated to entertainers who are, perhaps, more accustomed to performing in a different style of ring.
Earning fame for his ringside presence on both the boxing and professional wrestling circuit, announcer Michael Buffer once again lends his trademark catchphrase and distinct announcing style to driver introductions, urging the stars of the sport to "get ready to rumble" inside the World's Fastest Half Mile.
"What a great experience it was last year to participate in the IRWIN Tools Night NASCAR event at Bristol Motor Speedway and to be invited back is a real honor," said the Philadelphia native. "Over the past thirty years I've done the opening introductions for the World Series, NBA and Stanley Cup finals, NFL playoffs, the Indy 500 and, of course, world championship boxing and I must say that the fans, the atmosphere and the pure electricity of being at Bristol Motor Speedway is like no other feeling in sports. My adrenaline rush was maxed out when I felt the vibration and roar of the crowd mixed with that NASCAR power flying around the speedway oval. Fans with the family in tow, from all over the country, are there for the whole weekend and you realize that this is something that is pure Americana!"
Further charging the already electric atmosphere, the University of Tennessee's Pride of the Southland Marching Band stomps into the concrete oval for one of the most popular races on the NASCAR circuit. Regularly tasked with hyping crowds at one of the largest college football stadiums in the country, a 100 person group of the prestigious 330-member band is set to showcase their famed circle drills and perform East Tennessee favorite "Rocky Top" inside the nation's second-largest spectator venue.
"The Pride of The Southland Marching Band is honored to be a part of the pageantry and excitement of the performing at Bristol Motor Speedway," said Dr. Gary Sousa, director of bands at UT. "It will be a tremendous thrill for our students to play in this world famous Tennessee venue and on this massive stage. We are looking forward to putting on a great show for everyone."
Bristol Motor Speedway guests may see much of this excitement and more, including a track tour, by grabbing up one of the remaining SuperPass tickets for just $80 ($40 for iBelong Season Ticket Holders). For information call 1-866-415-4158 or CLICK HERE.
- See more at: BUFFER, PRIDE OF THE SOUTHLAND BAND LEND TALENT TO BMS PRE-RACE | Bristol News | News/Media | Bristol Motor Speedway

100 band members are going to perform a circle drill on the infield at Bristol?

Okay.

100 band members are going to perform a circle drill on the infield at Bristol?

Okay.

So their gonna take a band that's 2/3rds its normal size to put them in a stadium that seats 1.5x as much as Neyland where the first row of seats is an infield + track farther away from Neyland's row 1. Yeah, that's work reeeaaal well. If we think they aren't loud now that will sound like a kazoo band. Will they paint hash marks between the pit crews?:crazy:

Not sure which to blame for stupidity here but I'm going with Sousa.

Historically, the full band gets 1 big trip each year, and that big trip is usually to Florida (with Friday spent at the beach in Jacksonville).

Since going to Oregon is a rare opportunity, they may elect to send the full band to Oregon, and only a pep band to Florida. Sending a pep band to the Swamp isn't unprecedented, we did it in 2005, and then sent the full band to Chicago for the Notre Dame game.

Either way, it'll probably still be a pep band going to Missouri, with the full band only making trips elsewhere to Alabama and Kentucky.

Long story short, there will at least be a pep band present to play Rocky Top in Autzen.

Good to hear.

Was @Arkansas couple years ago with no PotS nor pep band & it was just weird. Though with a 49-7 loss, not many ops to play Rocky Top.

Don't think POTS is taking bands to Missouri (division game) nor Oregon. Athletic dept. doesn't help like in the past.

VN Store

Back