Pre-season Rankings

Voluminous1

Athlon has Tennessee ranked #2 in their pre-season rankings. I don't know that this is necessarily a good thing. We don't seem to play the frontrunner role as well. Lets hope this year is different.

Would like to see another '98 season, except not so close on the tougher games. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by TennFan@Jun 3, 2005 1:09 PM
Would like to see another '98 season, except not so close on the tougher games. :thumbsup:
[snapback]100492[/snapback]​

I agree. No more Arkansas games....

I think Lindy's is a little more realistic with us at 6, but if we play Tennessee Football, and not ETSU football, then 2(or 1) is very realistic.

just got the Athlon mag today...Havent had time to look at it yet though.

I know we are going to be good, but #2 to start is a little high. Also, Athlon is on crack. Did you see the artcle about the PAC-10 being the new power conference of the millenium :eek:lol:

Originally posted by shawnb82@Jun 3, 2005 2:56 PM
I think Lindy's is a little more realistic with us at 6, but if we play Tennessee Football, and not ETSU football, then 2(or 1) is very realistic.
[snapback]100506[/snapback]​

:blink: Considering that ETSU's football program is gone now, I certainly hope we don't play like them. I don't know what I would do if Tennessee scrapped the football program. :ph34r:

Originally posted by VOLALUM@Jun 3, 2005 3:58 PM
I know we are going to be good, but #2 to start is a little high. Also, Athlon is on crack. Did you see the artcle about the PAC-10 being the new power conference of the millenium  :eek:lol:
[snapback]100527[/snapback]​

Hmmm... No, I personally believe the ACC will become the mightiest conference in the land, but I also believe the Pac-10 will suprise many.

IMO, great teams win with expectations.

We could do it but #2? Not sure I see us as that good just yet.

Originally posted by NashvilleVol@Jun 6, 2005 10:03 AM
They also said UT had the best secondary in the SEC.
[snapback]101261[/snapback]​

Based on what????

I hope they're right, but come on - did they watch any football last year?

Originally posted by GAVol@Jun 6, 2005 9:51 AM
Based on what???? 

[snapback]101271[/snapback]​

There really is no way they did.....

I would like for Tennessee to be No. 1 in everything, all the time..... preseason, regular season, post season...... No. 1!!

Originally posted by U-T@Jun 6, 2005 5:13 PM
There really is no way they did.....
[snapback]101431[/snapback]​

I went out of town this weekend and bought the "Southeastern" with the Loaded part on the cover with Jesse, Simon, and Allen. I read it cover to cover and it said TN had the best DB's in the SEC. That's when I started to question everything else in the mag.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jun 6, 2005 9:51 AM
Based on what???? 

[snapback]101271[/snapback]​

It is based on potential. While we all saw how bad they were at times last year, this group has the talent to be very, very good. They were really young and inexperienced last year and should be a good secondary this season IF they live up to their potential. IF Stewart is healthy he should provide a big boost, nothing needs to be said about Allen, Fellowes was all freshman SEC, and heffney is very talented as well....IF he plays to his talent level and IF Morley comes in and provides some help or IF Campbell steps up they could be the best in the conference. All of that being said there are a ton of IF's to be answered, and calling them the best in the SEC at this point is a little far fetched, but pre-season rankings, predictions, ect. are always based on mostly potential and assumptions, so it does not surprise me to see someone go off the wall a bit given the talent level back there.

I don't think anyone here is saying they don't have the potential, talent, or speed to be great.

But we weren't just dead last in Pass Defense but dead last by 10 yards to Vanderbilt.

To think we will just solve all of our problems and become one of the best in just an off-season is quite unrealistic

Originally posted by U-T@Jun 7, 2005 6:47 PM
I don't think anyone here is saying they don't have the potential, talent, or speed to be great.

But we weren't just dead last in Pass Defense but dead last by 10 yards to Vanderbilt.

To think we will just solve all of our problems and become one of the best in just an off-season is quite unrealistic
[snapback]101716[/snapback]​

I agree that it is unrealistic to rank them the best but I do think they have a chance to be really good this year. The biggest jump in production for a rookie or freshman comes in the second year...assuming the player actually played in their first year. That IMO holds true in both college and the NFL in most cases and with the number of first year players or players seeing their first real SEC action we played last year I think the difference will be day and night. The game "slows down" for a second year guy and while I see your point as would anyone who watched last season would, I just think this group will be much improved.

I also think that how fast the group improves will depend a lot on how fast the staff makes decisions as to where each one is going to play and let them stick to one position(easier said than done)

VN Store

Back