Preseason Pick for Position Player MVP

UTFanHades

Don’t ban me bro
With the entirety of our line-up changing outside of the starting rotation, who do you guys see bringing the biggest impact ahead of Friday’s opener? We might need to bifurcate into batting vs fielding, but I’m curious to hear what you guys think.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Maybe more from top to bottom but last year’s groups numbers will be hard to beat. I think someone said they hit more HRs this fall than last.
As long as we still maintain a solid average, I’ll be happy. Need to have some semblance of offensive production from Taylor/Stark, Booker, and CScott. If Booker & Scott can keep the OBP up, I think the steal numbers can offset the power. Ahuna finding his production from last season would go a long way towards replacing Gilbert’s role.

The drop in HR production at Catcher will be steep, unless Taylor has drastically improved his bat.
As a former catcher, I have never considered home runs as the true measure of a catcher's worth. Pop time, that's what I want to know!
Hitting average, baserunners picked off, and (depending on the pitcher's TTP) stolen bases allowed is my criteria.

As a former catcher, I have never considered home runs as the true measure of a catcher's worth. Pop time, that's what I want to know!
Hitting average, baserunners picked off, and (depending on the pitcher's TTP) stolen bases allowed is my criteria.

I don't disagree and I'm not knocking Taylor. I was responding to the post about the possibility of more HRs in the lineup this year. The drop from Russell's HRs to Taylor's HRs will hurt those chances.

Regular ABs from Dickey, Moore and Burke could easily offset that.

Maybe. And I hope so. But I don't know about "easily." Burke is replacing the all-time home run leader in UT history at 1B in Luc Lipcius, who hit 19 in 2022. Moore is replacing Ortega at 2B, who hit 18. Denton is replacing Lipscomb at 3B, who hit 22. Are Denton, Moore, Dickey, and Burke going to hit THAT many more than Lipscomb, Ortega, Lipcius, and 2022 Dickey to make up for the discrepancy in catcher home runs? That is a pretty large task. But since Gilbert and Stevenson (when he played) weren't big home run hitters last year, maybe some can be made up by their at-bat replacements. On the other hand, the DH position now loses Burke/Moore/Dickey and guys like Tears and Chambers aren't likely to match their home run production.

Fortunately, we don't have to match last year's home run production. No one is scoring on us anyway. :p

Maybe. And I hope so. But I don't know about "easily." Burke is replacing the all-time home run leader in UT history at 1B in Luc Lipcius, who hit 19 in 2022. Moore is replacing Ortega at 2B, who hit 18. Denton is replacing Lipscomb at 3B, who hit 22. Are Denton, Moore, Dickey, and Burke going to hit THAT many more than Lipscomb, Ortega, Lipcius, and 2022 Dickey to make up for the discrepancy in catcher home runs? That is a pretty large task. But since Gilbert and Stevenson (when he played) weren't big home run hitters last year, maybe some can be made up by their at-bat replacements. On the other hand, the DH position now loses Burke/Moore/Dickey and guys like Tears and Chambers aren't likely to match their home run production.

Fortunately, we don't have to match last year's home run production. No one is scoring on us anyway. :p
Unless something highly unexpected happens with Burke, I expect him to continue to regularly knock the seams off. I can’t remember the exact stat but he had some inconceivably high HR to appearance ratio, particularly for a freshman. But yes-it’s big numbers to overcome.

As long as we still maintain a solid average, I’ll be happy. Need to have some semblance of offensive production from Taylor/Stark, Booker, and CScott. If Booker & Scott can keep the OBP up, I think the steal numbers can offset the power. Ahuna finding his production from last season would go a long way towards replacing Gilbert’s role.
I’m excited to see Scott’s contributions. Basilio had a longer interview with him a while back and his Dad called in as a guest caller. Great radio.

Reactions: taylorvol
Unless something highly unexpected happens with Burke, I expect him to continue to regularly knock the seams off. I can’t remember the exact stat but he had some inconceivably high HR to appearance ratio, particularly for a freshman. But yes-it’s big numbers to overcome.
He may be good for 30.

Reactions: UTFanHades
MVP: Jared Dickey
Best Rookie: Dylan Dreiling and AJ Russell
Best Pitcher: Andrew Lindsey
Biggest Surprise: Hunter Ensley
Glue Guy & Best Defensive Player: Christian Scott
Mr Walk Off: Griffin Merritt

VN Store

Back