Preseason top 5 prediction...

crazyguy

Offense U
here is the top ten from si.com's stewart mandel, LSU #2 without Saban?? are you kidding me?

Early Power Rankings for 2005
Rank Team
1 USC Trojans
Duh.
2 LSU Tigers
Nick Saban left behind an absolutely loaded cupboard. It's up to Les Miles not to screw it up and to help foster QB JaMarcus Russell's development.
3 Virginia Tech Hokies
This year's young team showed flashes of dominance by the end of the year. Marcus Vick better have his head on straight because he'll be the key.
4 Ohio State Buckeyes
The makings of a potential title run began taking shape the final two games with the blossoming of Ted Ginn Jr. and several young defenders.
5 Tennessee Volunteers
On paper, the Vols will have all the ingredients. Only problem: They seem to do better when the expectations are lower.
6 Texas Longhorns
Speaking of expectations, Vince Young will be carrying about 20 tons worth. But replacing Derrick Johnson and Cedric Benson will be no small chore.
7 Michigan Wolverines
The offense will be loaded with Chad Henne, Michael Hart and Steve Breaston, but the defense left a lot to be desired down the stretch.
8 Oklahoma Sooners
The Sooners lose a lot, but may look a lot like Texas' team this season -- a mobile QB (Paul Thompson) and a workhorse RB (Adrian Peterson).
9 Iowa Hawkeyes
Kirk Ferentz has produced double-digit victories three straight years, and there's no reason that can't continue with QB Drew Tate only getting better.
10 Florida Gators
The Gators should improve drastically if Chris Leak takes to Urban Meyer's offense and the defense continues to improve like it did late in the year.

Right on the cusp: Louisville, Auburn, Miami, Georgia, Texas A&M.

Can't disagree with what he says about us.

How many times do these pundits have to get burned by Florida before it dawns on them that the program is down. Before this year started, we all said that Florida had no business in the top 10, and lo and behold . . .

I'm sure they'll be a very capable team and may surprise, but how do you put a team in your top 10 coming off 3 straight 5 loss seasons and having to adjust to a coaching change?

Originally posted by GAVol@Jan 6, 2005 6:29 PM
How many times do these pundits have to get burned by Florida before it dawns on them that the program is down. Before this year started, we all said that Florida had no business in the top 10, and lo and behold . . .

I'm sure they'll be a very capable team and may surprise, but how do you put a team in your top 10 coming off 3 straight 5 loss seasons and having to adjust to a coaching change?

I'd say putting Florida top 25 is reasonable, but not top 10 yeat. The reality is, Florida very well could go out and be awesome next season. We'll just have to wait and see, and hope for the best in the Swamp.

That game at Florida is going to be very interesting. It will be Meyer's first test. The media around that game is going to be crazy.

Originally posted by milohimself+Jan 6, 2005 9:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (milohimself @ Jan 6, 2005 9:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GAVol@Jan 6, 2005 6:29 PM
How many times do these pundits have to get burned by Florida before it dawns on them that the program is down.  Before this year started, we all said that Florida had no business in the top 10, and lo and behold . . . 

I&#39;m sure they&#39;ll be a very capable team and may surprise, but how do you put a team in your top 10 coming off 3 straight 5 loss seasons and having to adjust to a coaching change?

I&#39;d say putting Florida top 25 is reasonable, but not top 10 yeat. The reality is, Florida very well could go out and be awesome next season. We&#39;ll just have to wait and see, and hope for the best in the Swamp. [/quote]
I&#39;ll say this about florida, they have a great POSSIBLE upside, now I don&#39;t it will all come together but I think that&#39;s why you&#39;ll keep seeing florida high on the rankings.

I heard an interesting stat today on the radio that Fulmer has lost 13 times to coaches that he has played for the first time.

Originally posted by vol_freak@Jan 6, 2005 9:36 PM
I heard an interesting stat today on the radio that Fulmer has lost 13 times to coaches that he has played for the first time.

if that&#39;s true then he has done a pretty good job of learning from his mistakes...

What, no UGA in the top ten? You know they will win 3 games just because the David&#39;s used to play there.

My top 5:

1.) USC

2.) Texas (They always get the pub, will flop though)

3.) Ohio State

4.) Tennessee

5.) Michigan

I believe that we are a very good 7-12 team nationally. We could potentially be a solid top 5, but I think putting us there before the season starts is a bit too high.

Florida at 10th is about 10 spots higher than where they should be, though they too could potentially be a solid top 5 team.

And why not? If they beat Texas, Iowa and Michigan next year, I see a strong possibility that they will get a bid for the national championship.

VN Store

Back