Pride of the Southland Band

surrealvol

Just watched the U.T. band in the Inauguration Parade in Washington. The President appeared to really enjoy their music and was clapping his hands fairly vigorously to "Rocky Top".

Originally posted by surrealvol@Jan 20, 2005 5:16 PM
Just watched the U.T. band in the Inauguration Parade in Washington. The President appeared to really enjoy their music and was clapping his hands fairly vigorously to "Rocky Top".

When he said he's a UT fan, you didn't think he meant Texas did you ?

Great job Pride. Talking about a Tennessee Tradition....this is the 11th inaugural parade in a row that the UT Band has marched. That's quite a record covering the past 44 years! I don't know who funded this trip (State of Tennessee, UT, or the Athlethic Dept...which I think they have done at least once in the past) but thanks to whomever did. Takes some funds to house 330 people for 3 nights, buses, meals etc.

Also from the SEC was the Auburn University band. They did well also. It was their 2nd parade in the past 16 years.

When we went the athletic dept. paid for it. Something like over $500,000 to take us. We stayed for five days a pretty nice hotel (not The Harrington for those in the know) Unfortunately, both my inaugural experiences were for Bill :devilsmoke: :idhitit: :run: Clinton

I would have been delighted to also march for Clinton. The parade I marched was for Jimmy Carter. I had a great time the week we were in D.C. Awesome place, even in the snow in January.

I was also in the band...but marched much earlier than Clinton....great experience!!!! Some people got left in DC because they missed the bus!!! Jullian was tough!!!

Originally posted by surrealvol@Jan 20, 2005 5:16 PM

Like Bama fans don't have to hear "Rocky top" enough. Seriously it sounded great, and personally I have always liked that song,(just like it sometimes more than others if you know what I mean), and think that when you hear it no matter who you are you can't help but sing and clap along. I think President Bush was really enjoying it. It sounded great, and just wanted to let you know that a Bama fan can appreciate "Rocky Top".

Originally posted by vol7072@Jan 23, 2005 5:20 PM
I was also in the band...but marched much earlier than Clinton....great experience!!!!  Some people got left in DC because they missed the bus!!!  Jullian was tough!!!

You're correct about Julian....he was tough...but great. I was in the band in 1978 when we played Notre Dame in South Bend. We left some students in Chicago when the buses left on Sunday morning. I was known to carry two alarm clocks incase one of them broke during the night. LOL

Originally posted by Brojan+Jan 24, 2005 3:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Brojan @ Jan 24, 2005 3:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vol7072@Jan 23, 2005 5:20 PM
I was also in the band...but marched much earlier than Clinton....great experience&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;  Some people got left in DC because they missed the bus&#33;&#33;&#33;  Jullian was tough&#33;&#33;&#33;

You&#39;re correct about Julian....he was tough...but great. I was in the band in 1978 when we played Notre Dame in South Bend. We left some students in Chicago when the buses left on Sunday morning. I was known to carry two alarm clocks incase one of them broke during the night. LOL [/quote]
I really know how you feel&#33;&#33;&#33; We left members at the Orange Bowl and Cotton Bowl when I was in the band....I still have anxiety dreams about Dr. J...but on the other hand feel great pride at having been a member of the Pride&#33;&#33;&#33; What a great experience&#33;&#33;&#33; Do you do the alumni band?

Originally posted by vol7072+Jan 24, 2005 10:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vol7072 @ Jan 24, 2005 10:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Brojan@Jan 24, 2005 3:18 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-vol7072
@Jan 23, 2005 5:20 PM
I was also in the band...but marched much earlier than Clinton....great experience&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;  Some people got left in DC because they missed the bus&#33;&#33;&#33;  Jullian was tough&#33;&#33;&#33;

You&#39;re correct about Julian....he was tough...but great. I was in the band in 1978 when we played Notre Dame in South Bend. We left some students in Chicago when the buses left on Sunday morning. I was known to carry two alarm clocks incase one of them broke during the night. LOL

I really know how you feel&#33;&#33;&#33; We left members at the Orange Bowl and Cotton Bowl when I was in the band....I still have anxiety dreams about Dr. J...but on the other hand feel great pride at having been a member of the Pride&#33;&#33;&#33; What a great experience&#33;&#33;&#33; Do you do the alumni band? [/quote]
I do marching in the Alumni Band. I enjoy it even more since they have combined the Alumni band with the "Junior" pride for half-time. A couple of years ago, in one of the charts I ended next to a current drummer. He said something like...&#39;you guys really learned the drill fast&#39;. With a laugh I responded, "We&#39;re old, not stupid." I think the entire drum line got a kick out of that statement. It was a great day.

VN Store

Back