Punt Returner

OWB

Never
Staff member
It has been reported that none other than Brent Schaeffer practiced returning punts yesterday. What does everyone think about that? I like it.....

I think Schaeffer should look at his future hard. I mean real hard. His future is at a skill position. He doesnt have the size or arm strength to play in the NFL. If he cant start at QB at Tennessee, I dont see him being a NFL QB. Schaeffer is looking at a multi-million dollar decision here. If he wants to be rich one day, than I think he needs to look at a position change. Playing in the slot causing mad match-up problems with a defense could make us seriously lethal on offense next season. I'd like my chnaces with Brent Schaeffer vs. a Linebacker. Its almost a garunteed open target for big yardage. I like the start Fulmer is making by trying Schaeffer out other places but I would still like to see him under center some next season.

With Brent's speed you have to figure that if he gets a little seam from the blocking team, he'll take it to the house. I like the move, and if he's got the hands, working in the slot would give opposing D's a fit. Take a linebacker out and guard #7 with a 5th DB, only to have Riggs bust one up the middle really puts them in a catch 22.

I would like to see him work some at QB, but I don't want to make it to where everytime he comes in the D is expecting shotgun option or shotgun QB draw. He would be great in the slot reverse, or even a triple reverse at the QB position.

He better bulk up a little. He'll take a alot hits similar to the one that cracked his collarbone last year returning kicks.

The best news I have heard all day, thanks for the scoop OWB.

My opinion is he WILL make a ton of money as a skill player, the kid has incredible vision and incredible speed. I don't want him to go to Valdosta State and never be heard from again.

It is the same thing I have been saying all along. Line him up just off the tight end and slip it to him via the pass or a quick pitch and let him go!

I thought he should have been on the Special Teams last year returning kicks....Glad to hear he was fielding punts today

Originally posted by orangeblur@Mar 11, 2005 7:53 PM
if i can recall did he field punts last year as well....nothing really new IMO...

He had practiced at times returning punts right around the Ole Miss game, but nothing in games. I think he'll gives us an extra boost on ST. Moving him there could make him our X-Factor.

Originally posted by orangeblur@Mar 11, 2005 7:53 PM
if i can recall did he field punts last year as well....nothing really new IMO...

Well, I never saw him return any in games and didn't hear about him doing it in practice, so it's news to me! ;)

Cmon guys...you all know that no matter what he is practicing he won't be a punt returner. He'll either be a backup QB, transfer, or might (and thats a big MIGHT..try for a slot reciever)

Originally posted by UTVOLFAN@Mar 12, 2005 5:39 PM
Cmon guys...you all know that no matter what he is practicing he won't be a punt returner. He'll either be a backup QB, transfer, or might (and thats a big MIGHT..try for a slot reciever)

He can play any position and still return punts.

Originally posted by UTVOLFAN@Mar 12, 2005 5:39 PM
Cmon guys...you all know that no matter what he is practicing he won't be a punt returner.

Well, why would Fulmer waste the time letting him practice returning them then?

Maybe last year the verdict was still out on the abilities of Ainge AND the need for a capable back-up with Clausen the Second being a "question mark." Now, we know Ainge has the talent, we know that Rick can step in if needed, and we have a freshman who is touted to have more potential than all of the above. Sure, injuries happen, but with three cats available, it seems only logical to put a VERY talented player on the field SOMEWHERE.

Skeptics, critics, media, and fans can all agree on one thing: he has gamebreaking potential. It's a waste to watch that sit on the bench and call in signals. AND, we all know that if there's one area where the Vols could use a boost, it's in the return game.

Anyway, that's my :twocents:

BTW, Charlie, with a response like that, how about some explanation?

Originally posted by UTVOLFAN+Mar 12, 2005 7:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UTVOLFAN @ Mar 12, 2005 7:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LadyinOrange@Mar 12, 2005 8:54 PM
Which is???

Oops, I forgot. You aren&#39;t speaking to me.

:ph34r:

:beer: [/quote]
:unsure:

Originally posted by UTVOLFAN+Mar 12, 2005 8:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UTVOLFAN @ Mar 12, 2005 8:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LadyinOrange@Mar 12, 2005 8:54 PM
Which is???

:beer: [/quote]
:beerf:

Originally posted by kiddiedoc+Mar 12, 2005 8:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kiddiedoc @ Mar 12, 2005 8:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by UTVOLFAN@Mar 12, 2005 8:56 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-LadyinOrange
@Mar 12, 2005 8:54 PM
Which is???

:beer:

:beerf: [/quote]
:number1:

They should start by learning to set up proper blocking and return plays rather than that scramble ass smear the queer formation we have been using&#33;&#33;&#33; :bad:

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Mar 12, 2005 9:42 PM
. . . scramble ass smear the queer formation . . .

I wonder what that sounds like when they call that in the huddle? :question:

VN Store

Back