QB sacks, or the lack thereof.

bigorange

WGWTFA
Defense looks to 'wreak havoc' with pass rush » GoVolsXtra

Seventeen.

It’s a wince-worthy number every Tennessee defender should know: The team’s total number of sacks in 12 games last season.

The average came to 1.42 per game. That ranked 98th in the country.
Two years ago at Cincinnati, Jancek and Stripling spearheaded a defense that ranked second in the country with 46 sacks.
This is extremely refreshing to see, we need QB pressure in the worst way, and these guys apparently know how to get that done. It goes without saying that putting pressure on the qb, and obviously sacks as well, helps out the secondary immensely (which we're in dire need of).

So here's to a legit pass rush in 2013!

26 days!!

Reactions: 3 people
We have lacked speed off the edges for several years. Hopefully, with some new coaching, techniques, and fresh faces, we can solve this problem. I would love to see the opposing QB on his back every offensive series...if not on his back, at least let's get some pressure!

Reactions: 1 person
Our DE's have been average for several years

Not going to argue this but there is also two other problems. One, Maggit hasn't been used properly due to the lack of LB depth. Maggit is a perfect rushing WLB/Leo DE. He just has never been in a position to be strictly a pass rusher until now. Second, it's hard to rush the QB when our secondary cant cover anyone man to man and the WR gets wide open within two-three seconds.

Reactions: 2 people
IMO lack of consistant DT play has had as much to do with our low sack #s. We can get all the pressure we want off the edges, but it does no good if they have a nice soft pocket to step up into.

We really haven't brought in that many DE's since Smith and Miller, who have both underperformed. I think our freshman DE's, Lewis (rs), Vereen, Miler, Vickers, and Brown will end up being a solid class. Not to mention Henderson and Hendrix

The lack of production has really been astonishing. We haven't been in the top half of the conference in sacks since 2007. The only other SEC team to join us in that group is Mississippi State, who has 5 more sacks than UT during that timeframe.

I can't remember one sack from last season. Definitely an area that needs big improvement. An improved secondary could help that stat.

I can't remember one sack from last season. Definitely an area that needs big improvement. An improved secondary could help that stat.

I think our defense as a whole will be much improved (I know, I know, it couldn't get any worse), but IMO our front 7 and safeties won't even look like they were on the same team as last year. I'm still worried about our CBs, but I feel that if you have to have a unit weaker than the others, the CBs would be the preferred weaker unit.

Trying to think on it, the only memorable sack I recall is the one Maggitt got for a safety in the NC State game

Moving to the 4-3 should make a difference. Last night, during the Hall of Fame game, Michelle Tafoya interviewed Demarcus Ware about his upcoming role for the 2013 season. He stated, that Dallas' move to the 4-3 from the 3-4 this year will give the defensive line more opportunity to pressure the QB. He said that in a 3-4, the defensive lineman's role was to hold up the offensive line while the linebackers came in to make plays. I see this happening for Tennessee as well.

IMO lack of consistant DT play has had as much to do with our low sack #s. We can get all the pressure we want off the edges, but it does no good if they have a nice soft pocket to step up into.
I don't know if you saw the O&W game or not, but McCullers collapsed that nice soft pocket a bunch of times, and drove the middle of the offensive line back so close to the quarterback that he couldn't step forward to throw. I hope that he can do that when it counts.

Trying to think on it, the only memorable sack I recall is the one Maggitt got for a safety in the NC State game

And the one he got on 2nd and goal vs USCjr... Which we then proceeded to give up a td on 3rd and 27 :banghead2:

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know if you saw the O&W game or not, but McCullers collapsed that nice soft pocket a bunch of times, and drove the middle of the offensive line back so close to the quarterback that he couldn't step forward to throw. I hope that he can do that when it counts.

If he can do that against this Oline, I have no doubts. UT's OL is as good as it gets.

Probably 2007. You know, the last time we were good.

2007 - averaged 1.77 sacks/game

2008 - averaged 1.98 sacks/game

2009 - averaged 1.62 sacks/game

2010 - averaged 2.00 sacks/game

2011 - averaged 1.33 sacks/game

2012 - averaged 1.42 sacks/game

2007 - averaged 1.77 sacks/game

2008 - averaged 1.98 sacks/game

2009 - averaged 1.62 sacks/game

2010 - averaged 2.00 sacks/game

2011 - averaged 1.33 sacks/game

2012 - averaged 1.42 sacks/game

Really like rubbing salt in the wound, heh?

I've been saying this for years.

Actually made John Brantley look good, which was next to impossible

I cant remember the last time we had a D-Line that consistently pressured QBs.

It would probably have been one of the Chief's better D's. Harrying the QB was his speciality. I recall our game with S. Carolina in 1995 (?), when Steve Taneyhill, who still holds many passing records there, was their QB. But after being chased and sacked all day long, you could see in the 4th quarter that when he went back to pass, all he wanted to do was to get rid of the ball before he got hammered again.

Excellent point OP. Seems like we haven't had any consistent pressure on the edge since Leonard Little.
Ad Al Wilson to the mix and.....well...1998 was a good year.

But I digress. We ABSOLUTELY need some pressure on the QB for a change. I think "Butch Gets It" about that! :)

VN Store

Back