qbs

nationalchamps2006UT

the ONE thing that gets me, is schaeffer can run and pass... and can do both well.. and ainge is probably our guy but LAST time we had someone who could do both... we won it all (tee martin) didn't we?

Shaffer is good but he is no Tee Martin....and probably won't be....I like him, he's a good QB but he is no Tee Martin...Ainge will be the next QB to lead us to a National Title and hopefully Crompton will be too

Originally posted by #10_Ainge_#10@Jan 20, 2005 5:03 PM
Shaffer is good but he is no Tee Martin....and probably won't be....I like him, he's a good QB but he is no Tee Martin...Ainge will be the next QB to lead us to a National Title and hopefully Crompton will be too

crompton seems really tough, and i'm not saying ainge isnt, crompton just seems more athletic

Ainge will be more in the mold of a typical pro style QB like Manning and Clausen. He'll compete as much mentally as physically. If not more. It's no secret that the bulk of Mannings success comes from his study of the game. Talent helps pick up the slack.

Schaeffer right now is a running QB. He cannot throw the ball as well as Ainge or Clausen. There are several key differences between Schaeffer and Martin. Martin was a QB who could run but looked to pass first. Schaeffer seemingly always looks to run and won't let deep routes develop. Hes only a freshman so that could easily change. Everyone always says "we won a national title with a QB who could run" but you have to look at the o-line and the depth at tailback UT had that year. Martin had current NFL single game rushing record holder Jamal Lewis, UT's career rushing leader Travis Henry, and UT's single season rushing leader and first team all-american Travis Stephens to hand the ball off to.

don't forget he also had Chad Clifton, Cosey Coleman,and Spencer Riley all of whom played in the league. These guys made the whole thing go for Tee, Cheese, Travis Stephens and the rest.

Attachments

• nationalchamps.gif
    nationalchamps.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 1
For a 'runner', don't forget that Tee Martin owns the NCAA record for consecutive completed passes in a single game (23) when he went 23-of-24 against South Carolina.

I agree that Tee looked for the pass first before running. He understudied under Peyton Manning. I've always considered Tee a drop-back passer who had the added ability to run.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 20, 2005 5:20 PM
don't forget he also had Chad Clifton, Cosey Coleman,and Spencer Riley all of whom played in the league. These guys made the whole thing go for Tee, Cheese, Travis Stephens and the rest.

There was a lot of good players on that team and the defense was solid. I believe there is definitely potential to have a good run next year. Two obstacles will be a tough schedule and actually playing up to the expectations of a great year.

Also, I thought someone broke Tee's cosecutive completions this year but I can't remember what game it was.

The d-fense had alot more to do with winning that championship than Tee Martin did. He was a good QB with a great supporting cast. The Colts proved you can't ride a handful of players to the SB and D-fense wins championships.

Originally posted by allvol@Jan 21, 2005 5:22 AM
For a 'runner', don't forget that Tee Martin owns the NCAA record for consecutive completed passes in a single game (23) when he went 23-of-24 against South Carolina.

Pretty impressive. I think Rodgers tied that this year... So it's not an exclusive record but equally impressive none the less.

Cal QB Aaron Rodgers tied an NCAA passing record on Saturday for straight completions in one game, although it will be the pass he didn't complete that Rodgers will be remembered for.

With 23 straight completions during the course of the game, Rodgers now shares the record with Tennessee's former QB Tee Martin. But his three incomplete passes in the waning minutes of the game did the Golden Bears in, as USC escaped with a 23-17 victory. Rodgers led his Cal Bears to 1st and Goal with less than 2 minutes in the 4th Quarter remaining. The NoCal school was unable to get into the endzone on four straight plays allowing USC to come away victorious.

Rodgers finished the day going 29 for 34 with 267 yards passing.

Counting the Alabama game and South Carolina game, Tee still holds the record for consecutive completed passes with 24. He is tied with Rodgers for consecutive completed passes in a single game with 23. I also believe the 23-of-24 is considered the highest completion pct in the NCAA too (with some sort of min. for attempts of course).

Schaeffer was just a freshman FCOL. Tee started what one season, as a senior??? No way to compare at this point.

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Jan 21, 2005 10:58 AM

Schaeffer was just a freshman FCOL. Tee started what one season, as a senior??? No way to compare at this point.

Tee Martin started for 2 seasons after backing up Peyton Manning for 2.

Valid point on Martin's mentor. He had time to study under one of Colleges best and one of the NFl's best. Martin saw what it took to be a top QB and how to execute. We've not had a QB that can pass that on as well as Manning did. No poke at Casey intended as I am a big fan of CC. Rick provides the next closest thing to Manning at this point as far as having someone help young QB's develop and he works very hard in that role. Shaeffer has taken a beating here for his performances, but taken as whole as a true Freshman QB, he did not do all that bad. Typical true fresh mistakes, but well above average performance for a freshman that only had a month or so before going into the fire. A developing, tough talented, QB in the SEC as a freshman is a lot of weight on one's shoulder. most in that situation invariably will look to get out of trouble first before letting deep routes develop. They haven't learned the pocket patience yet. No way to compare him to Martin.

Tee Martin started for 2 seasons after backing up Peyton Manning for 2.

OOOooops, Tee was a Jr. when we won the BCS NC. Still, you cannot project out what a true freshman will do down the road based on a comparison with Tee. Tee didn't play until he was a junior and by then had plenty of time to learn the playbook and learn how to make reads allowing for quick check-offs at the LOS. Possibly given the time BS could do the same thing. 2 more years provides plenty of time for maturation IMO.

Very valid point. We have to remember that we are talking about QBs that had to play as true freshmen. NOBODY does that.

That was out of sheer need only. If Phil had any other option, one or both of the frehmen would have red shirted. Other than them, we only truly had RC and CJL. Obviously CJ wasn't going to handle it. We never really took that chance on RC until we had to. Could be that if we had tried RC starting the season, and he came through as he did late, we could have redshirted BS and separated him and Ainge. But, we went 10-3 so it all worked out. Just forces the real decision to this season. It'll be pretty much given that it'll be Ainge then BS with ample play time. Unless BS does leave, RC will go back to #3 to make sure BS continues to stay. With Crompton coming and Jimmy Clausen on the horizon, plus any other sub premium QB's we pick up, we're pretty much set at that position for the next 6-10 years.

10 years? We got Jimmy coming in, so what, seven at most? I don't know of anybody who gets recruited in seventh grade.

Originally posted by allvol@Jan 21, 2005 8:22 AM

I agree that Tee looked for the pass first before running. He understudied under Peyton Manning. I've always considered Tee a drop-back passer who had the added ability to run.

actually, appalachian state university's QB has the record...

Don't be confused, Schaeffer is not the next Vick nor is he the next Tee Martin. Martin is a dropback passer, if you don't believe me just ask him and he'll tell you he's a dropback passer that could run if needed. Ainge and Schaeffer were both Freshmen and Ainge was light years ahead of Schaeffer in reading defenses.

Originally posted by nationalchamps2006UT+Jan 21, 2005 9:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nationalchamps2006UT @ Jan 21, 2005 9:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-allvol@Jan 21, 2005 8:22 AM
For a &#39;runner&#39;, don&#39;t forget that Tee Martin owns the NCAA record for consecutive completed passes in a single game (23) when he went 23-of-24 against South Carolina.

I agree that Tee looked for the pass first before running.  He understudied under Peyton Manning.  I&#39;ve always considered Tee a drop-back passer who had the added ability to run.

actually, appalachian state university&#39;s QB has the record... [/quote]
Appy State is a I-AA school. The record being discussed is for I-A schools.

Tee Martin had two years to mature. Why don&#39;t we wait until next season to judge them. EA was miles ahead of BS this year, so the only thing that tells me is EA was more fundamentally sound coming in. You can&#39;t forget the maturation process that a player goes through in college. I think this up coming season will be a good way to measure both players.

The main lack of maturation into the QB role for BS was the 3 transfers in highschool to maintain starting jobs. I do not say this to be critical, because I beleive he is truly talented. But, if he is that good, why would he have to change highschools 3 times to keep starting positions. Not settling into a program and earning the top spot really kept him from being in a more developed state of talent mentally.

VN Store

Back