Questin for milo

JSB2277

What do the people in Hillsboro think about the Vols? Also is Erik a fairly popular guy over there?

Erik... Where do I begin with him...

Around town, between all four of our high schools, opinion varies widely. The respect is certainly there -- He's the most notable athlete to be produced from the area since Ben Petrick of the Colorado Rockies.

A funny sidenote is, it's arguable Ainge wasn't even the best athlete of his graduating class. Cory Ellis was a varsity starter in football, baseball and basketball for three years each. Nine letters. Come fall, he led the state in recieving yards, come winter, he was a state leader in assists and fast break points, and come spring, he was two-time all state player, first team. He's a baseball walk-on at Oregon State. I may have screwed up the details a little, but it's generally correct. Anyways...

There was huge buzz for football fans all around the Portland Metro area. We're talking about seven or eight-hundred thousand people in this area -- Anybody who watched high school pigskin knew the name of Ainge last year.

And on the high school level... Probably any kid in the entire league who attended a football game last season knew who he was. I would always talk to kids from other schools, and they'd point to the big guy in the 10 jersey -- "I hear he's insanely good." Stuff like that. His notoriety extended off the field as well. I'll just say he enjoyed at least mild success with a few women, and leave it at that.

As for the Vols... Well, folks who watch college ball here have broadened their horizons beyond Pac-10 teams. Everybody here is either a fan of UO, OSU, or Wazzu, or sometimes Portland State Vikings, the I-AA team around here. Now going in to my teacher who's the head soccer coach, he follows all sports, talking about last night's Vols game is just as cool as talking about the Washington State game. After Ainge got picked up by the Vols, it isn't, uncommon to see kids wearing the famous orange power t's on their hats at my school, or maybe an occassional t-shirt.

Just some random anecdotes, stories, random stuff.

VN Store

Back