Question about officiating call on our last drive

KoachKrab127

On our final drive, it was 4th and 4, and Iowa jumped offsides. Since we were so close to the end zone, it was a half-the-distance penalty, not a 5 yard penalty. So really, it was a 3 yard penalty, which wasn’t enough for a first down. I thought when a penalty is half-the-distance to the goal, when it would result in a 1st down if it were the full-length of yards it normally is, that it’s an automatic first down. I could have sworn that I have seen that called in year’s past. Am I wrong?

I know it didn’t affect the outcome of the game at all, but I was curious if that was an officiating error. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: posivol
On our final drive, it was 4th and 4, and Iowa jumped offsides. Since we were so close to the end zone, it was a half-the-distance penalty, not a 5 yard penalty. So really, it was a 3 yard penalty, which wasn’t enough for a first down. I thought when a penalty is half-the-distance to the goal, when it would result in a 1st down if it were the full-length of yards it normally is, that it’s an automatic first down. I could have sworn that I have seen that called in year’s past. Am I wrong?

I know it didn’t affect the outcome of the game at all, but I was curious if that was an officiating error. Thanks in advance.
An offsides wouldnt, only holding, pi or personal foul would give a 1st down

Negative. That isn't real. No automatic first down given.

Glad you ask the question. I had the same thoughts as well. I can’t ever recall seeing that situation before in all my years. I didn’t doubt they got it right but I wasn’t sure about the call either. One of those situations you don’t see very often. Interesting!

Reactions: KoachKrab127
Glad you ask the question. I had the same thoughts as well. I can’t ever recall seeing that situation before in all my years. I didn’t doubt they got it right but I wasn’t sure about the call either. One of those situations you don’t see very often. Interesting!

It seems I’m learning something new every single week when it comes to rules of football. However, sometimes, we see wrong rulings by officials, especially in the SEC! That always makes me confused!

Reactions: tennrich1
An offsides penalty only gives the offense a 1st down when the 1st down distance is 5 yds or less, since the penalty is only 5 yds. But with today's officiating the way it is you can't be sure of any call being correct.

Nope... I believe the easy answer is it is only applied when the penalty statement for THE rule has it included.

Reactions: KoachKrab127

VN Store

Back