question for hat or anyone out west...

I was in the Bay Area this past weekend. By all indications, that search is wide open right now.

well there's a certain former Stanford assistant that I'm quite fond of because I think he's doing a great job where he is at. However, I've heard more than a handful of rumors and even read a San Francisco Chronicle article touting him as a possiblity.

So do I need to worry about my Monarchs possibly needing a new coach soon?

well there's a certain former Stanford assistant that I'm quite fond of because I think he's doing a great job where he is at. However, I've heard more than a handful of rumors and even read a San Francisco Chronicle article touting him as a possiblity.

So do I need to worry about my Monarchs possibly needing a new coach soon?
I did hear Blaine Taylor's name. However, I also heard Mark Fox, Randy Bennett, Bob Knight, Eric Musselman, and two of the current assistants mentioned. I think it's too early to know which direction Bowlsby is going to go in. By all accounts, he was caught totally unprepared by Johnson's decision to leave.

I did hear Blaine Taylor's name. However, I also heard Mark Fox, Randy Bennett, Bob Knight, Eric Musselman, and two of the current assistants mentioned. I think it's too early to know which direction Bowlsby is going to go in. By all accounts, he was caught totally unprepared by Johnson's decision to leave.

As much as I don't want him to leave, do you think Taylor is ready for that kind of job? His contract allows him to leave for Stanford, but I just don't know if he's seasoned enough or not

As much as I don't want him to leave, do you think Taylor is ready for that kind of job? His contract allows him to leave for Stanford, but I just don't know if he's seasoned enough or not
Stanford is a tough job, but I think he could handle it. The most prevalent sentiment I heard was that Bowlsby wanted to get away from the Montgomery/Johnson Era and put his own stamp on the program. That would indicate Taylor is probably not going to get the job. We shall see.

Stanford is a tough job, but I think he could handle it. The most prevalent sentiment I heard was that Bowlsby wanted to get away from the Montgomery/Johnson Era and put his own stamp on the program. That would indicate Taylor is probably not going to get the job. We shall see.

that definitely would take Taylor out of the running seeing how he played under Montgomery at Montana, served as a GA for him there, worked as an asst for Montgomery at Stanford, and then was HC at Montana.

The Chronicle article I read even hinted at the new era thing. I want the best for Blaine, but I also want the best for ODU. Of course ironically, i'm filling out a job app for Stanford, so I guess I wouldn't be hurt too bad if i can manage to land that job.

when you are only willing to pay 500K a year it's hard to get a big name coach like fox or few. I've heard Mike Dunlap (who was up for the cal job) as a posibility. It's amazing this guy let trent leave without a planned succesor.

when you are only willing to pay 500K a year it's hard to get a big name coach like fox or few. I've heard Mike Dunlap (who was up for the cal job) as a posibility. It's amazing this guy let trent leave without a planned succesor.

which makes Blaine look even more favorable. Thanks hat, thanks droski. Keep me updated if you hear anything else about the opening please.

From an insider on the cal board pay board in response to a question about likely stanford candidates (for what that is worth):

Blaine Taylor was an assistant to Mike Montgomery at Stanford. He is actively seeking the Stanford job, and, apparently, has a buyout clause in his contract that alllows him to take the Stanford post without having to pay the buy-out (or without having to pay the full amount, not sure which).

edit: though it seems to me if the AD wanted a montgomery guy he wouldn't have let trent go without a fight.

From an insider on the cal board pay board in response to a question about likely stanford candidates (for what that is worth):

Blaine Taylor was an assistant to Mike Montgomery at Stanford. He is actively seeking the Stanford job, and, apparently, has a buyout clause in his contract that alllows him to take the Stanford post without having to pay the buy-out (or without having to pay the full amount, not sure which).

edit: though it seems to me if the AD wanted a montgomery guy he wouldn't have let trent go without a fight.

there's no apparently to it. I know it's in the contract. Guess we'll see.

The next coach must understand Stanford and feel comfortable with the admissions requirements. He must fit the culture.

The next coach must be a proven winner.

I mentioned to the source that there’s only one coach who meets both criteria, Old Dominion’s Blaine Taylor, and on the other end of the line, there was silence. It wasn’t a negative silence. It was a “You’re on the right track” silence.

perhaps it's the pessimist in me, but it looks like Stanford is just throwing names out there and they know exactly who they want. and I can't help but take the preceeding quote from droski's earlier link to heart and think it's Taylor. I can't see Stanford paying the money it would take to get Brown.

larry is going to work for $500K a year?
Given that the Knicks had to pay him $20+ mil to go away, I wouldn't think money is an issue. However, I'm operating under the assumption that Brown is hoping that Avery Johnson or Sam Mitchell get fired.

VN Store

Back