Question

QBvol7

Did Tennessee ever opt out of a home and home with FSU in the past 10 years? My FSU friend said that we had them scheduled and we pussed out. I just find that hard to believe.

Sounds like your friend is messing with you.

We'd schedule Notre Dame for a home and home in 1990-91 when they were a consensus top 5 team (NC in 1988), then Miami in 2002-2003 when they were coming off a National Championship, but then we'd be scared of the 'Noles?

Doubt it.

Truth be told, I doubt they really wanted to risk a shot at the NC in the 90's by playing another tough non-conference opponent (in addition to Miami).

We were usually just gunning for the SEC in the early 90's (where FSU always had the ACC in their pocket; they were always going for a NC), so a nonconference loss wouldn't hurt us as bad as it would them.

Remind your friend about the time the SEC extended an offer to the Seminoles to join our conference, and that they decided against it. They are the ones that "pussed out". Not Tennessee. If that doesn't work, just remind him of 98, and tell him that it doesn't matter that their starting QB didn't play because we still held their all-world receiver to 7 yards and one catch.

Top 10 reasons F$U didnt join the SEC-

10. Florida
9. Tennessee
8. LSU
7. Alabama
6. Wake Forest
5. Duke
4. Auburn
3. North Carolina
2. Georgia
1. Maryland

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@Jul 26, 2005 9:47 AM
Remind your friend about the time the SEC extended an offer to the Seminoles to join our conference, and that they decided against it.  They are the ones that "pussed out".  Not Tennessee.  If that doesn't work, just remind him of 98, and tell him that it doesn't matter that their starting QB didn't play because we still held their all-world receiver to 7 yards and one catch.
[snapback]118308[/snapback]​

And we won the game with our primary back being the 3rd string back.

It has always amazed me that so many people said they would have won had their QB not been hurt, but they fail to acknowledge that we were absent the best running back we've had at UT in 20 years.

It's amazing how people recall things to fit their purposes.

As for the FSU and UT game being canceled, I never herad of it and I've not missed anything Orange in 50 years.

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@Jul 26, 2005 7:47 AM
Remind your friend about the time the SEC extended an offer to the Seminoles to join our conference, and that they decided against it.  They are the ones that "pussed out".  Not Tennessee.  If that doesn't work, just remind him of 98, and tell him that it doesn't matter that their starting QB didn't play because we still held their all-world receiver to 7 yards and one catch.
[snapback]118308[/snapback]​

Yes... Because joining a conference is solely about proving how tough your team is. And I'm sure they worried about no other sports when deciding besides football.

Are you out of your mind? There is a bit more in deciding to join a conference than "We'd like to toughen up/weaken our football schedule."

Alright. Sorry to put it in a confrontational way. And I was not singling you out, it was to GatorVille too. I should have mentioned him.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 26, 2005 10:45 PM
Yes... Because joining a conference is solely about proving how tough your team is. And I'm sure they worried about no other sports when deciding besides football.

Are you out of your mind? There is a bit more in deciding to join a conference than "We'd like to toughen up/weaken our football schedule."
[snapback]118453[/snapback]​

FSU was extended an invitation to join the SEC and it was none other than Bobby Bowden himself tha nixed the invite!

He said it would be too tough to win an NCAA Football Championship.

QBVol7... as the other said. It never happened.

Originally posted by Vol67@Jul 26, 2005 7:50 PM
FSU was extended an invitation to join the SEC and it was none other than Bobby Bowden himself tha nixed the invite!

He said it would be too tough to win an NCAA Football Championship.
[snapback]118458[/snapback]​

I assume it was a while ago... That was probably true of the SEC before, but now the ACC will be just as difficult to compete in.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 26, 2005 11:26 PM
I assume it was a while ago... That was probably true of the SEC before, but now the ACC will be just as difficult to compete in.
[snapback]118479[/snapback]​

:eek:lol:

*sigh* Fine... The ACC is far tougher than it was a decade ago (or whenever FSU was invited to join the SEC), although whether or not is tougher than the SEC is still up to question. <_<

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 26, 2005 8:48 PM
Alright. Sorry to put it in a confrontational way. And I was not singling you out, it was to GatorVille too. I should have mentioned him.
[snapback]118456[/snapback]​

2 things helped bring F&#036;U to the ACC. 1. they thought just what i posted, why go into a tough confrence, when we can dominate this one, and contend for a NC every year. 2. we can put our bball team on the map (look how that worked out) and play big programs like Duke, UNC, Maryland..etc.

Yes there were more reasons, but those 2 stuck out the most, and were the main reason for them joining the ACC instead of the SEC.

VN Store

Back