Questions about Thursdays scrimmage.

Vfl2407

1. Will it be the final scrimmage before the opener? Or will there be one more before 8/31?
2. If so, will the “bubble wrap” come off of the projected starters and those who’ve been held out with minor injuries?
3. So should we expect that (mostly) who plays in the scrimmage will be who plays (or won’t play) in the opener?

Yes/No, maybe, no

Contact Restrictions. (1) Full contact (tackling to the ground) is only permitted during an on-field practice session in full pads; (2) An institution shall not conduct more than two consecutive days of full contact (tackling to the ground) practices. A full contact practice during the acclimatization period counts toward this limit; (3) An institution shall not conduct more than a total of 75 minutes of full contact (tackling to the ground) within any one on-field practice session other than during the two permissible scrimmages; and (4) An institution shall not conduct more than two scrimmages during the preseason practice period. A scrimmage is a practice devoted primarily (greater than 50 percent of practice time) to 11-on-11, full contact (tackling to the ground) activities. A scrimmage counts as one of the eight permissible practices in full pads and may include more than 75 minutes of full contact (tackling to the ground).

Last edited:
If further scrimmages, RBs will receive ginger treatment due to concerns about RB depth. Especially the starters. All told, we have seven RBs. I'll take this moment to repeat something. I agree with my dog cracked crystal ball that Keith is going to emerge as a force at RB. With the big guns out, he's going to be called upon and make his opportunity count. I'd bet money on this, but I don't have any. And Shirley says she'd shoot me if I put the house up as collateral.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
No , maybe, no

Contact Restrictions. (1) Full contact (tackling to the ground) is only permitted during an on-field practice session in full pads; (2) An institution shall not conduct more than two consecutive days of full contact (tackling to the ground) practices. A full contact practice during the acclimatization period counts toward this limit; (3) An institution shall not conduct more than a total of 75 minutes of full contact (tackling to the ground) within any one on-field practice session other than during the two permissible scrimmages; and (4) An institution shall not conduct more than two scrimmages during the preseason practice period. A scrimmage is a practice devoted primarily (greater than 50 percent of practice time) to 11-on-11, full contact (tackling to the ground) activities. A scrimmage counts as one of the eight permissible practices in full pads and may include more than 75 minutes of full contact (tackling to the ground).
Thanks. 🙏

Reactions: chuckiepoo
No , maybe, no

Thanks for this information. I didn't realize that football practices were this regulated. Bear Bryant would be rolling in his grave about the full contact limitations (go see Junction Boys).

No , maybe, no

See - this is where the NCAA does it's best work.
These rules makes sense to help protect the health and well being of the players.

Typically there are 2 - 3 scrimmages during camp. Just like spring there are 3.. you have 2 scrimmages then the Orange vs White game which is technically the 3rd. My guess, there will be one this week and one next week. Then game prep.

VN Store

Back