Questions for the football gurus on here

Benchwarmer

I know there are some positions where we do not have high expectations for our starters because of either a lack of experience or talent. But my questions are about the depth behind the starters.

There are two ways to keep the starters going strong in the fourth quarter--conditioning and substitutions. If a coach is not confident in substituting in a close game, then conditioning is of paramount importance. A team that can substitute liberally and not lose ground has a sizable advantage over one that can't substitute without losing ground.

1. Does a fast-paced offense lead to more substitution of players (2nd string for 1st string), and does this also lead to the defense being on the field more, which requires more substitution on defense as well?

2. At what positions will we be hurting the most when the starters are not on the field?

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.

Yes. We will be substituting A LOT more. That's precisely why you see Butch wanting so many scholarship receivers on roster. I believe our defense will be on the field more as well, but the longer Butch is here, he can build up the depth on D and the more successful they will become. Notice the difference in conditioning. They'll be ready for it.

Reactions: 1 person

Come on, you've got to this right.

You need to call in to Vol Calls. Wait on hold for 2 hours....then say, "I just want to say, GO VOLS. I'll hang up and listen to your comments."

That's how it's done!

Ok I've stopped laughing from BerryVol's comment.

Keeping good depth is the key to running an up tempo offense. The depth we have now will set a good base for what CBJ wants to run; however, we aren't there yet.

CBJ has been recruiting like a mad man and when he said he would assemble the best staff in America I had my doubts-so far, my doubts have become inconsistent with the results thus far!

He and his staff have kicked ass and have taken names since taking on the best job in the NCAA!

Enthusiasm is contagious ladies and gentlemen and we have found ourselves in an epidemic!

Reactions: 3 people
I will answer this question later. I am on my way to check into a Holiday Inn Express.

when the starters are not on the field the position that hurts the most is OL. think we have two good RBs we have 4 to 5 solid to average WRs. but when the OL gets winded after a 75 yrd drive the trenches is where the toll of the game will hurt the most. no body works as hard as a lineman.... this coming from a former WR ha.

when the starters are not on the field the position that hurts the most is OL. think we have two good RBs we have 4 to 5 solid to average WRs. but when the OL gets winded after a 75 yrd drive the trenches is where the toll of the game will hurt the most. no body works as hard as a lineman.... this coming from a former WR ha.

I respectfully disagree. OL might get winded after a 75 yard drive, but it really shows up on the DL side. They get on their heels and huff and puff. A 75 yard drive gets OL pumped with adrenaline. The offense can also dictate if/when defense can substitute.

As to depth, I don't think anyone on this site knows enough about which players are going to develop into the season ... yet. It is going to be a watch and learn process.

I don't know kerbyson looked really physical in spring videos and Mack crowder is a solid backup for center and guard. Plus a red shirt junior in marquis pair and Marcus jackson. We have no idea what to expect out of any of the receivers. Sure they have talent but we don't even have a number 1 yet.

I know there are some positions where we do not have high expectations for our starters because of either a lack of experience or talent. But my questions are about the depth behind the starters.

There are two ways to keep the starters going strong in the fourth quarter--conditioning and substitutions. If a coach is not confident in substituting in a close game, then conditioning is of paramount importance. A team that can substitute liberally and not lose ground has a sizable advantage over one that can't substitute without losing ground.

1. Does a fast-paced offense lead to more substitution of players (2nd string for 1st string), and does this also lead to the defense being on the field more, which requires more substitution on defense as well?

2. At what positions will we be hurting the most when the starters are not on the field?

1. yes

2. WR, OL, DL, LB and DB all would hurt IF starters sat. no particular order as far as most..

We have seen the effect of what lack of substitutions does in the second half of college football. Depth is paramount and when 2,3, and even 4 deep players can contribute in situations and maintain momentum this is when we start putting some trophies back in the cabinet.

IMO much more substitutions are required on defense, especially in response to specific down and distance scenarios.

All of this depends on how good of shape the players are in. Better shape = less subs.

VN Store

Back