Rate Fulmer this year

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Some are saying that this season may be Fulmer's best coaching job ever. What do you guys/gals think? :naughty:

I'd be reluctant to say anything like that...fact is, UT hit the soft part of their schedule just in the nick of time. In addition, although Miami was a great win, they too were struggling this season and got exposed by the UT defense. Ut is still far behind the likes of Texas and certainly Oklahoma (and I wouldn't want to have to play Florida again this year, either.) I know...I'm negative, but it's just that we have soooo much potential.

VF,
While I am happy with a 10-2 season and a top ten ranking and having accomplished this with one All SEC player, I think we need to take a look back at our wins, losses and opponents records before answering this-

Fresno State-8-5- Interesting Matchup-Offense was not in sync- Good Start
Marshall-8-4- Starting QB dumb enough to hurt himself celebrating- Offense still stunk it up
Florida-8-4- Second best win of the season, caught Zook and Florida in an indecision mode as they stuck with 2 QB rotation and a very young team
South Carolina-5-7- If Summers wasn't hurt, would we have even gotten to OT?
Auburn-7-5- Made Auburn look like the best rushing team in the nation for one game
Georgia-10-2-Fulmer and Sanders love affair with Troy Fleming cost us this game and SEC Champ hopes
Alabama-4-9-4th and 19, gutsy play at Alabama, 3rd best win
Duke-4-8 Offense struggled mightily, remember the halftime score - 6-3
Miami-10-2- Best win of season, defense played incredible game, no turnovers
Miss. State-2-10- Beat the hell out of a poor team
Vandy-2-10-ditto
Kentucky-4-8- Offense still struggles, get to watch Georgia win SEC East

:flush: SEC hopes :banghead:

I think if you asked Fulmer this off the record, no politics, he would say that they didn't achieve any of their goals.

Changes need to be made if we are going to beat Georgia and Florida next year.

I give Fulmer a 7 out of 10.

:bash: :bash: :bash:

Aren't we just saying the same things that have been said for the past two years. A 10-2 season is pretty good considering that we only have one All SEC player, D. Colquit. This is all just a bunch of :censored: :censored: :censored: rhetoric.

Coaching changes need to be made, but I doubt if Fulmer will do anything!!!!! He will probably say why do there need to be changes, Tennessee went 10-2. It is a vicious cycle, but that is the lot for a Tennessee fan.

Maybe Tennessee will pole axe a Big Ten team in the bowl game????

Originally posted by Volunteer@Dec 2 2003, 08:21 AM

Fresno State-8-5- Interesting Matchup-Offense was not in sync- Good Start
Marshall-8-4- Starting QB dumb enough to hurt himself celebrating- Offense still stunk it up
Florida-8-4- Second best win of the season, caught Zook and Florida in an indecision mode as they stuck with 2 QB rotation and a very young team
South Carolina-5-7- If Summers wasn't hurt, would we have even gotten to OT?
Auburn-7-5- Made Auburn look like the best rushing team in the nation for one game
Georgia-10-2-Fulmer and Sanders love affair with Troy Fleming cost us this game and SEC Champ hopes
Alabama-4-9-4th and 19, gutsy play at Alabama, 3rd best win
Duke-4-8 Offense struggled mightily, remember the halftime score - 6-3
Miami-10-2- Best win of season, defense played incredible game, no turnovers
Miss. State-2-10- Beat the hell out of a poor team
Vandy-2-10-ditto
Kentucky-4-8- Offense still struggles, get to watch Georgia win SEC East

Perfect! :thumbsup:

I give PF a 6.5 for the season. I think that the game by game breakdown above says it all. After riding a winning streak against teams that couldn't compete in conference USA, people are giving praise to our coaches??? Doesn't make sense to me. With the exception of our wins against MIA and UF, I would compare this season to last. Only difference is that this year we had a couple of balls bounce our way when last year they did not.
OSV

Originally posted by Old School Vol@Dec 2 2003, 01:30 PM
I give PF a 6.5 for the season. I think that the game by game breakdown above says it all. After riding a winning streak against teams that couldn't compete in conference USA, people are giving praise to our coaches??? Doesn't make sense to me. With the exception of our wins against MIA and UF, I would compare this season to last. Only difference is that this year we had a couple of balls bounce our way when last year they did not.
OSV

:dunno:

So those 10 wins were either not pretty enough or came against inferior competition????

After going 8-5 with four 20+ point losses last year and looking at a season where we had to play at Florida, at Auburn, At Alabama, at Miami, how can you criticize a 10-2 record and compare it to last year with a straight face??

Heck if you're going to take the Florida and Miami wins out of the equation, why don't you just take out the other 8 wins while you're at it and just evaluate the season based on the first half against Auburn and the 2nd half against GA. ???

...and as far as balls bouncing our way. How lucky were we when that handoff bounced right to the GA guy for a 95 yard fumble return?

GAvol,
I'll make this easy for you. Let's throw out our losses to GA and AU and throw out our wins to FL and MIA. Remember, we're talking about PF, not the players or anything else. What do we have left? An overmatched victory against Fresno St., a win against Marshall that was way closer that it should of been. An OT win against S. Carolina. Yes South Carolina. A gutsy performance against AL that showed more about our players than our coaches, and wins against duke, and the other cupcakes. Don't get me wrong, A win is a win and I'm proud as can be for our guys to be back in the 10 win category, but don't let that fog your glasses of how miserable some of the play calling was back in in Sept. and Oct. Our team didn't have an identity until after the AL game and I'm not sure that we do now. We won all of those 8 games on talent, not coaching. Any coach in the SEC could of won those games with our team. The only improvement I saw in regards to coaching is that our guys didn't give up after the 2 tough losses. Not sure how much of that was coaching and how much was player leadership though.

To answer your question about luck - when a fullback runs into your quaterback and knocks the ball out his hands, I don't consider that bad luck, I consider that bad coaching.
OSV

D

Old School,
Good post. your last point was the best in my opinion. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy does the love affair with Troy Fleming persist???????

Jabari Davis over the top, he has more 1yd or less TD runs in the history of the school. That was probably the worst play call of the year and eventually ruined our chances of an SEC championship.

I'm still happy for a 10 win season and a top ten ranking, of course if we lose our bowl game, kiss the top ten goodbye.

Old School,
Good post. your last point was the best in my opinion. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy does the love affair with Troy Fleming persist???????

Jabari Davis over the top, he has more 1yd or less TD runs in the history of the school. That was probably the worst play call of the year and eventually ruined our chances of an SEC championship.

I'm still happy for a 10 win season and a top ten ranking, of course if we lose our bowl game, kiss the top ten goodbye.

Speaking of Fulmer, I heard a rumor that if Fulmer ever vacated, one of their potential recruits would be... :::brace yourself::: Steve Spurrier. Now, I'm a logical person, and I would think there'd be mass suicide in Knoxville before that ever happened, after all the awful things Steve has said about UT. (i.e. "You can't spell Citrus without UT.") Somebody tell me this is just a media rumor...

According to the media, in the last 2 months, Fulmer has had illegitimate children, affairs with secretaries, been accused of setting up lines of credit and buying cars for players, and was reportedly getting replaced by Steve Spurrier - Fulmer's had a heck of a fall. If you listened to the media you'd think Bill Clinton was our head coach.

Originally posted by Derek24650@Dec 3 2003, 07:13 PM
Speaking of Fulmer, I heard a rumor that if Fulmer ever vacated, one of their potential recruits would be... :::brace yourself::: Steve Spurrier. Now, I'm a logical person, and I would think there'd be mass suicide in Knoxville before that ever happened, after all the awful things Steve has said about UT. (i.e. "You can't spell Citrus without UT.") Somebody tell me this is just a media rumor...

Those rumors were all over the place a month or two ago, even in the national media. Believe it or not many Tennessee fans would love to have him as our coach. I for one don't think it would be a good fit.

Hey GAVol, pretty good analogy. Maybe we should start calling him Phil Clinton. The rumor mill has definitely been rampant in K-town recently.

VN Store

Back