(Re-)stating the Obvious

voladdiction

Here are the facts.

1. We have no proven QB. Worley has beaten the competition in practice, but is consistently overthrowing, underthrowing, and throwing behind receivers.

2. We have no proven WRs. True frosh Josh Smith and Marquez North are the best we got now that 2 Jrs left us early, 3 slot receivers are out with injury (Howard, Young, and Johnson). Croom made a great catch on his TD, but has been unable to be consistent in practice.

3. We have average RBs. Lane looks to be the best right now, but he doesn't have break-away speed. Neal is fast and strong, but is indecisive, floats and drifts (instead of running with aggression), and doesn't look like he likes contact.

4. Our O-line is experienced and solid in pass protection, but they lack a streak of nasty and don't maul or even wear down the opposition.

5. Our TEs are almost invisible. Downs is good for a catch or two. But how wonderful it would be to still have Cam Clear.

6. Our D-line is very weak and slow, not to mention perilously thin (depth-wise). In the interior, McCullers has not proven disruptive. Couch is ineligible. Saulsberry is now hurt. Hood is smart, but stiff. The rest are inexperienced. Our D-ends just don't make plays.

7. Our LBs are below average. I don't know what else to say.

8. Our DBs are below average. I see some bright flashes with Sutton, and Randolph always looks like he's playing his heart out. But Coleman loses position a lot. Devaun Swafford (a grey shirt?) is on the field a good bit and has been toasted. Max Arnold (a walk-on!) is the best we got in the 2 deep???

I love our Vols. I will keep rooting hard. I won't give up on the season. But this...is...reality right now for us.

As Butch said before the season started, we can't afford any mistakes. Today we made a whole bunch of them.

Reactions: 3 people
Couldn't take too much from today because the play calling was sub-par and the qb was just bad. Defense looked good at the beginning but I can't blame them as it went on. We punted so much they stayed on the field. Blown coverages still.

Reactions: 2 people
Good analysis. We're 3 years away from being a good football team. 2015 will be the season that we better start competing.

I'll add the coaching plan was very suspect. Offensive play calling was pretty horrendous. Still not sold at all on Jancek. Jones really underestimated the cut throat, aggressive playing style of Oregon demonstrated when he declined the 15 yard penalty which they subsequently went for on 4th and goal and scored (called back I know).

Reactions: 2 people
It's going to be a rough year, but everyone should have known that going into it. Those who were in denial are going to be drinking heavily for the next few Saturdays.

Reactions: 4 people
Good analysis. We're 3 years away from being a good football team. 2015 will be the season that we better start competing.

Probably correct assumption. 3 yrs is a long time for this fan bAse to wait. Volnation would implode if we had to wait 3 yrs for a solid season.

Reactions: 1 person
Here are the facts.

1. We have no proven QB. Worley has beaten the competition in practice, but is consistently overthrowing, underthrowing, and throwing behind receivers.

2. We have no proven WRs. True frosh Josh Smith and Marquez North are the best we got now that 2 Jrs left us early, 3 slot receivers are out with injury (Howard, Young, and Johnson). Croom made a great catch on his TD, but has been unable to be consistent in practice.

3. We have average RBs. Lane looks to be the best right now, but he doesn't have break-away speed. Neal is fast and strong, but is indecisive, floats and drifts (instead of running with aggression), and doesn't look like he likes contact.

4. Our O-line is experienced and solid in pass protection, but they lack a streak of nasty and don't maul or even wear down the opposition.

5. Our TEs are almost invisible. Downs is good for a catch or two. But how wonderful it would be to still have Cam Clear.

6. Our D-line is very weak and slow, not to mention perilously thin (depth-wise). In the interior, McCullers has not proven disruptive. Couch is ineligible. Saulsberry is now hurt. Hood is smart, but stiff. The rest are inexperienced. Our D-ends just don't make plays.

8. Our DBs are below average. I see some bright flashes with Sutton, and Randolph always looks like he's playing his heart out. But Coleman loses position a lot. Devaun Swafford (a grey shirt?) is on the field a good bit and has been toasted. Max Arnold (a walk-on!) is the best we got in the 2 deep???

I love our Vols. I will keep rooting hard. I won't give up on the season. But this...is...reality right now for us.

As Butch said before the season started, we can't afford any mistakes. Today we made a whole bunch of them.

Most of us knew this prior to the season....

Reactions: 3 people
The Vols got beat by a much better team and with speed. Does anyone in the SEC have the speed that Oregon has? As of now, I'd have to rate Oregon in the top 2 in the country. Oregon could possibly play for the National Championship.
The Vols have a lot improvement to do to be competitive nationally. The Oklahoma Sooners are on the schedule in 2014. The Sooners are probably top 20 right now. Hopefully by 2015 the Vols will be competitive. I still think the Vols can be 6-6 or possibly 7-5 with a little luck. Probably the first record though and a minor bowl invite.
I agree with those who say our QB isn't the best. What do we do? Try a 2 QB system. Some colleges have tried that and it worked somewhat. Florida and Florida State have tried it.

Last edited:
Here are the facts.

On your #5, if we still had Cam Clear, there would be no Vol Nation. We would have to do this by phone.

I'll add the coaching plan was very suspect. Offensive play calling was pretty horrendous. Still not sold at all on Jancek. Jones really underestimated the cut throat, aggressive playing style of Oregon demonstrated when he declined the 15 yard penalty which they subsequently went for on 4th and goal and scored (called back I know).

Play-calling is handcuffed by a terrible QB and average RB's w. marginal speed. To quote a line from the movie "Christine"..."you can't polish a turd"

4-8 or 5-7 makes for a long season, as does 4 consecutive losing seasons. Brooklin Dodger fans got so tired of losing they refered to the team as Dem Bums, eventually they started winning consistently. The Vols will eventually be competitive once again as well.

It's going to be a rough year, but everyone should have known that going into it. Those who were in denial are going to be drinking heavily for the next few Saturdays.

That's true for pretty much any saturday in the Fall, at least for us college kids

didn't Swafford come because he was a package deal with Foreman ? or so i have heard from a good person,that knew DB football at the time

Do you mean the only positive is Palardy ??!!! Never thought it'd come down to this...

Last edited:
Here are the facts.

I think we may see someone different in the South Alabama game. Worley is the safe choice for now. I would like to see someone get some snaps to see who is a "Gamer".

1b. Isn't the option play a little silly when the QB never (or has the ability ) runs the ball?

VN Store

Back