Read option question

CA_Vol

Can someone please educate me on why we are running a read option without a mobile QB? I know Worley ran a few times in the first 2 games, but he's not going to be dual threat QB. So why run it if the defense really doesn't have to honor it?

Go Vols!

Then he should quit sprinting around the corner after the handoff if that is the case.

The thing is, for some reason they decide to make it seem like it's a read option by allowing it to take forever to develop and carrying out the fake. However, a grandma in the 12th row would know that he isn't keeping the ball.

I was at the game. I counted at least 7 times that the DE AND OLB. BOTH OF THEM crashed the middle on the RB and he still gave him the football. It's a handoff.

The thing is, for some reason they decide to make it seem like it's a read option by allowing it to take forever to develop and carrying out the fake. However, a grandma in the 12th row would know that he isn't keeping the ball.

I was at the game. I counted at least 7 times that the DE AND OLB. BOTH OF THEM crashed the middle on the RB and he still gave him the football. It's a handoff.

What makes you sure it is a straight up called RB running play.

He did keep it several times against AP.

IT is stupid - like the Clawfence was

Reactions: 1 person
What makes you sure it is a straight up called RB running play.

He did keep it several times against AP.

He did, but hasn't since. I believe it is a straight handoff because I watched for anyone staying at home, and no one did. I was a couple times where someone stayed home, but 95% of the time, no one did and yet he handed it off EVERY SINGLE TIME. He wasn't even watching the outside and trying to read it. Just handing the ball and running the other way.

He did, but hasn't since. I believe it is a straight handoff because I watched for anyone staying at home, and no one did. I was a couple times where someone stayed home, but 95% of the time, no one did and yet he handed it off EVERY SINGLE TIME. He wasn't even watching the outside and trying to read it. Just handing the ball and running the other way.

I don't think that clearly proves none are read option calls. I beginning to think Worley is quite slow in the head. I don't buy that none are read options.

IT is stupid - like the Clawfence was

Agreed. They are forcing the offense down their throat, but don't have the personnel to run it.

They need to either get rid of that play, and start running real running plays or put in a quarterback that is a threat of gaining 8-10 yards while keeping the ball. You can't run that if you are never going to keep the ball.

u have to watch the line to tell whether its a read or not..if the end is left unblocked its a read..if the line pulls it almost always a direct handoff..i only counted a few plays where the end was free meaning every other play is direct handoff...also the qbs r just trying to keep the def honest by carrying out a fake..which at this point is pointless since when it is read they never pull it..GO VOLS

with this scheme. We do nothing but run the back across the formation, which takes too much time, giving the defense time to react. Our QB doesn't run the ball, there is no deception or "option," it seems freakin' pointless and counterproductive. We'd be better off putting a FB in the game who can knock down LBs. We are NOT going to run the ball with this scheme against anybody in the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
with this scheme. We do nothing but run the back across the formation, which takes too much time, giving the defense time to react. Our QB doesn't run the ball, there is no deception or "option," it seems freakin' pointless and counterproductive. We'd be better off putting a FB in the game who can knock down LBs. We are NOT going to run the ball with this scheme against anybody in the SEC.

I know.. I know.. Going to be a long season if they continue to think that crap is going to work.

I was hopeful when the first play of the 2nd half was a run NOT from shotgun. Then second play went right back to it. Baffling indeed.

Can someone please educate me on why we are running a read option without a mobile QB? I know Worley ran a few times in the first 2 games, but he's not going to be dual threat QB. So why run it if the defense really doesn't have to honor it?

Go Vols!

If you get an answer please let me know.

To me, it seems like they are trying to make the players fit their offense instead if molding an offense based on their personnel. None of the QBs on this roster are really considered "dual threat". So why we are running this style just seems weird.

VN Store

Back