Ready for the season to start already

25vol

Don’t know about you all but I’m ready to start talking about actual football. Too much of the news cycle is made up of NIL this or that and then having our own stuff dominate the news cycle for a while , yeah just kind of depressing. One of the reasons I love the Vols is to escape the political bull and problems of daily life and it seems here lately the sport has started to mirror the divisive and toxic nature of current society more than I’m comfortable with.

Anywho, let’s start. Who is the player you’re excited most about this upcoming year BESIDES Nico? Mine has to be James Pearce. I know that sounds like a stereotypical answer but I swear this guy has more potential than I think we know of. I feel like this year teams are going to be scared shitless to play us because of him already but I think he’ll still surprise them. This kid could very well play himself into a 2nd or 3rd pick overall type of year and I can’t wait to see what he does.

Don’t know about you all but I’m ready to start talking about actual football. Too much of the news cycle is made up of NIL this or that and then having our own stuff dominate the news cycle for a while , yeah just kind of depressing. One of the reasons I love the Vols is to escape the political bull and problems of daily life and it seems here lately the sport has started to mirror the divisive and toxic nature of current society more than I’m comfortable with.

Anywho, let’s start. Who is the player you’re excited most about this upcoming year BESIDES Nico? Mine has to be James Pearce. I know that sounds like a stereotypical answer but I swear this guy has more potential than I think we know of. I feel like this year teams are going to be scared shitless to play us because of him already but I think he’ll still surprise them. This kid could very well play himself into a 2nd or 3rd pick overall type of year and I can’t wait to see what he does.
All of them. The game can't be won by a single person. Like the building of the Bay Bridge and Sears Tower, it takes an entire work crew. However, I'm looking anxiously for what crew boss Heupel will come up with. Opposing teams have seen his play schemes, are adjusting, what will the Heup do now? Can't wait to see, as he has an almost wholly new construction crew.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan

I am excited to see McCoy and Thornton return to full health and to be 110%

Cam seldon

(a) I want to see the Offensive Line at work against a decent opponent (NC State), and then a quality opponent (Oklahoma). My hypothesis is, addition by subtraction. Love every lad who puts on the orange and white, but pre-snap and holding penalties KILLED us last year. I will not miss Ollie Lane's lack of discipline, much as I like the fella. Hoping to see a cohesive, capable, disciplined OL this coming season.

(b) At the end of last season, a lot was made of the transfers out of our Defensive Backfield. Many figured those were signs of a re-design of the defensive philosophy and consequently, the skill sets needed for the back half of the defense. Will it look significantly different in 2024? Can't wait to see.

(c) And of course, Nico and the Receivers (including the TEs). What kind of chemistry do they develop? Do we find a new speedster who can get vertical separation? Does Squirrel White become even more elusive in the slot? Is it more like 2022 (Hooker & Crew), or 2023 (Milton and frequent butterfingers by Keyton)? I really suspect the former, because Nico is the real deal. Only don't know about the receivers yet.

Anyway, that's my top three. Nice thread, 25, appreciate it.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
For me it's not just one player but a couple different units, namely the offensive line and wide receiver group. These are two units that really struggled at times last year and it sounds like we've made some significant upgrades to both. Looking forward to seeing how well Brazzell transitions to big time conference play, how Bru looks after major surgery, and anxious to see how the offensive line holds up against our rivals.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I hope we sometimes see Sampson and Seldon in the backfield at the same time. My thinking is that Kamara had his most productive seasons for the Saints 2 or 3 yrs ago when they had Ingram as the main RB, then used Kamara in motion, moving him all over the place to create mismatches, and for him to either run or receive. The cool thing is we could do that with either Seldon or Sampson or both!

Pearce is the obvious choice. This will be his swan song at Tennessee, so I'm hopeful he goes out swinging for the fences.

Aside from that, a lot of folks thought Dont'e Thornton would be poised to break out once he learned the system. Well, he's had a year to learn. Interested to see how he does.

Reactions: stewart6600

VN Store

Back