Rebirth of the Iran Nuclear Deal

BreatheUT

I see that pretty girl swag.
A New Iran Deal Leaves Us Meeker and Weaker
March 22, 2022

OPINION
BRET STEPHENS

What does President Biden think he will get out of a new nuclear deal with Iran?

A year ago, the answer seemed reasonably clear to the administration: Tehran had responded to Donald Trump’s decision to walk away from the original 2015 deal — known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or J.C.P.O.A. — by enriching uranium to ever-higher levels of purity, bringing it increasingly close to a nuclear bomb, or at least the capability to build one quickly. Barring a new deal that put limits on enrichment, Iran seemed destined to cross the nuclear finish line sooner rather than later. Hence the urgency of a deal.

But today we live in a different world. It’s a world in which Russia and China — parties to both the J.C.P.O.A. and the current negotiations — are definitely not our well-wishers, and a world in which Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates wouldn’t answer Joe Biden’s phone calls in the midst of the greatest geopolitical crisis of the 21st century. Maybe the administration needs to think through the broader implications of a new deal a little more carefully before it signs on again.

So far, that isn’t happening. The deal is said to be mostly finalized, barring last-minute haggling over whether the United States will remove the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps — which Washington has said is responsible for killing hundreds of Americans — from the list of sanctioned foreign terrorist organizations.

Asked earlier this month whether Russia’s invasion of Ukraine would affect the nuclear negotiations, Antony Blinken was definitive: “These things are totally different and are just, are not, in any way, linked together,” the secretary of state told Margaret Brennan of CBS.

But they are linked together, in ways large and small, tactical and strategic. The United States isn’t even negotiating directly with Tehran — the Iranians wouldn’t allow the Americans into the room, and the administration, incredibly, agreed — but is instead relying on its intermediaries.

And how are those intermediaries doing? “I am absolutely sincere in this regard when I say that Iran got much more than it could expect, much more,” Mikhail Ulyanov, the top Russian diplomat at the negotiations, said earlier this month in an interview. “Our Chinese friends were also very efficient and useful co-negotiators.”

Maybe Ulyanov was exaggerating. But with or without the deal, Moscow will be able to build nuclear power plants in Iran, irrespective of the sanctions over the war in Ukraine. And Beijing — which in 2021 signed a 25-year, $400 billion strategic partnership with Tehran — will be able to conduct a lucrative business in Iran with little concern for U.S. sanctions.

Combined with February’s “no limits” friendship pact between Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping, an Iran deal represents another step toward a new antidemocratic Tripartite Pact.

But what about the nuclear deal’s upside? Last year, Blinken promised an agreement that would be “longer and stronger,” hinting that it would seek to extend some of the J.C.P.O.A.’s sunset provisions that were set to expire in the next decade, as well as place limits on Iran’s testing of ballistic missiles.

It isn’t clear the new deal will meet either goal, but at a minimum it will likely extend Iran’s “breakout time” — the time it needs to acquire sufficient enriched uranium for a bomb — from as little as three weeks to about six months, establish an intrusive nuclear-inspection regime, give future diplomacy more time to work, and forestall, for now, a nuclear crisis in the Middle East while the world’s attention is engaged elsewhere.

This is not nothing, and — should the deal go through — the administration will work hard to make the case that this is a good-enough answer for a problem to which every other solution is worse. It will also stress that “all options are on the table” should Iran choose to go for a bomb.

Except nobody in the region seems to believe that line or any other U.S. security assurances — hence the phone call snub. Reaching a kick-the-can-down-the-road agreement may seem like a diplomatic victory to the State Department. But it’s a strategic defeat when it does little more than delay a crisis for the future in exchange for strengthening our adversaries in the present. Tehran attacked Iraq with ballistic missiles earlier this month and (through its Houthi proxies) launched missile and drone strikes on Abu Dhabi in January. What can Iran’s neighbors expect from it when its coffers are refreshed with tens of billions in oil revenues, free from sanctions?

Though the administration and its friends will fiercely deny it, the principal geopolitical challenge the United States faces today is the perception, shared by friends and foes alike, that we are weak — diffident, distracted and divided. The heroic resistance that Ukraine has put up against Russia, bolstered by American military aid and the power of our sanctions, has helped shift that perception, at least somewhat. But we are still far from achieving any kind of victory there, much less gaining the upper hand against the new axis of autocracy.

The Biden administration urgently needs to telegraph strength. An Iran deal that leaves us even weaker and meeker than the previous deal accomplishes the opposite at a moment when we can’t afford another reversal.

https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nytimes.com/2022/03/22/opinion/iran-nuclear-deal-biden.amp.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw==#aoh=16482197697949&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/22/opinion/iran-nuclear-deal-biden.html

If Iran wants do develop nuclear weapons nothing short of a military conflict will stop them which ain't likely. Trump walking away from the deal or Biden entering another one will not stop them. This is the world we live in today.

Reactions: tvolsfan
We are being destroyed from within.
I've been saying this for a while.

Although I think sanctions on Iran should be lifted, there is something I just don't like about this deal based on who is supporting it on our side. First Obama and his pallets of cash and now Biden. Something just seems fishy about this.

I've been saying this for a while.

Although I think sanctions on Iran should be lifted, there is something I just don't like about this deal based on who is supporting it on our side. First Obama and his pallets of cash and now Biden. Something just seems fishy about this.

No question about it. Need to follow the money and that would tell us what stinks.

Biden administration may allow Russia to buy Iran's excess enriched uranium under new nuclear deal

Nuclear negotiations continue amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine

The Biden administration is considering allowing Russia to buy Iran's excess enriched uranium under the terms of a new nuclear deal, U.S. officials said this week.

Under the original Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPO) in 2015, Russia agreed to buy Iran's excess uranium so that the regime could not build a nuclear weapon, a role that may be revived in the new deal.

"Would it be a practical role for Russia to play the same role that it did in the JCPOA prior to the decision to withdraw from it, essentially to accept and to pay for the highly enriched uranium to get it out of Iran’s hands so that Iran cannot obtain a nuclear weapon? I think that’s a role we’d be willing to entertain. Yes," State Department spokesperson Ned Price said Wednesday.

White House National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan also said this week that Russia's role in purchasing Iran's excess uranium was a "key part of how we ensured that Iran’s nuclear program was in a box."

"Now, we don’t have to rely on any given country for any particular element of the deal, but that is a role that Russia played in the past — a practical role that didn’t have necessarily political significance but did have that practical significance," Sullivan said.

https://www-foxnews-com.cdn.ampproj...iran-excess-enriched-uranium-new-nuclear-deal

Biden administration may allow Russia to buy Iran's excess enriched uranium under new nuclear deal

Nuclear negotiations continue amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine

The Biden administration is considering allowing Russia to buy Iran's excess enriched uranium under the terms of a new nuclear deal, U.S. officials said this week.

Under the original Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPO) in 2015, Russia agreed to buy Iran's excess uranium so that the regime could not build a nuclear weapon, a role that may be revived in the new deal.

"Would it be a practical role for Russia to play the same role that it did in the JCPOA prior to the decision to withdraw from it, essentially to accept and to pay for the highly enriched uranium to get it out of Iran’s hands so that Iran cannot obtain a nuclear weapon? I think that’s a role we’d be willing to entertain. Yes," State Department spokesperson Ned Price said Wednesday.

White House National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan also said this week that Russia's role in purchasing Iran's excess uranium was a "key part of how we ensured that Iran’s nuclear program was in a box."

"Now, we don’t have to rely on any given country for any particular element of the deal, but that is a role that Russia played in the past — a practical role that didn’t have necessarily political significance but did have that practical significance," Sullivan said.

https://www-foxnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.foxnews.com/world/biden-administration-russia-iran-excess-enriched-uranium-new-nuclear-deal.amp?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw==#aoh=16482197697949&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.foxnews.com/world/biden-administration-russia-iran-excess-enriched-uranium-new-nuclear-deal

I thought the sanctions on Russia were supposed to bankrupt the country? How are h they supposed to be able to afford to purchase the excess uranium?

Reactions: StarRaider
I thought the sanctions on Russia were supposed to bankrupt the country? How are h they supposed to be able to afford to purchase the excess uranium?
You're putting on your thinking cap. Maybe, just maybe, these sanctions are not effective anymore? Or at least not effective on a country like Russia.

Inquiring minds want to know...Does Russia still have ownership in Uranium One?

Reactions: AM64

Wussy Biden's sanctions are not strong enough for that to take place. No deterrent in those.

They are talking about enriched uranium, the stuff bombs are made out of. Why would we want Russia to have more bomb making material? This administration is the absolutely worst in foreign policy of all time.

They are talking about enriched uranium, the stuff bombs are made out of. Why would we want Russia to have more bomb making material? This administration is the absolutely worst in foreign policy of all time.

It is really amazing..all the gov savants of economic or foreign policy have been total failures. Look at Joe, a decades long member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Look at thinking that by opening up to the CCP and allowing trade, technology exchange and having them wear blue jeans, they would become a liberal democracy. Maybe they will, after they crush us. Fact of the matter, the US is in a pincer movement between this effect and the DC salivating with power in the other direction.

I have always thought that the DC establishment envied the centralized control of China . Was not sure until after seeing what we have witnessed with a propoganzied media and large social media carrying the flag. Congress is beholden to their corporate master, who are beholden to the "fruits of 1.3B people".

What really gets me fired up is CCP investment in US media, as Censorship kills a Democratic Republic.

Has China Compromised Every Major Mainstream Media Entity?

Reactions: Orangeburst
Is that the company Obama’s administration sold our uranium to?
Uranium, oil and technology: How Russia got stronger as Bidens and Clintons got richer

"Another deal that Obama, Biden, and Clinton gave the Russians was called the "123 Agreement," which allowed state-owned Russian entities like nuclear behemoth Rosatom to sell nuclear materials directly to U.S. utility companies.

This deal continues to pay huge dividends to the Obama Foundation's top donor, Chicago-based Exelon Corporation. And President Biden has allowed that deal to survive even during the Ukraine war, exempting nuclear fuel sales to U.S. utilities from his recent sanctions targeting Russian energy imports."

Uranium, oil and technology: How Russia got stronger as Bidens and Clintons got richer

"Another deal that Obama, Biden, and Clinton gave the Russians was called the "123 Agreement," which allowed state-owned Russian entities like nuclear behemoth Rosatom to sell nuclear materials directly to U.S. utility companies.

This deal continues to pay huge dividends to the Obama Foundation's top donor, Chicago-based Exelon Corporation. And President Biden has allowed that deal to survive even during the Ukraine war, exempting nuclear fuel sales to U.S. utilities from his recent sanctions targeting Russian energy imports."

Gotta keep the cash flowing to the establishment

Is that the company Obama’s administration sold our uranium to?

I had to read that about 3 times...Regardless, this "omission" by Biden's exemption is probably meaningless as I would think Putin will just sanction it anyways.
This nation better get serious about becoming more self sufficient in any category hence the day the CCP sanctions America the economy will implode. We are in it to some degree now with SC issues.

Reactions: AM64 and TN-POSSUM
"On top of these nuclear handouts, the Obama-Biden-Clinton team gave Russia one of the biggest prizes of all: Uranium One.

Before the Russian takeover, Uranium One was a Canadian company that mined Uranium around the world. It had assets on at least three continents — Eurasia, Africa, and North America. Its assets in Wyoming, Utah, and other states constituted approximately 20% of U.S. uranium capacity and meant that the Obama-Biden Committee of Foreign Investment in the U.S. (CFIUS) would have to sign off on the deal. They could have said no, but the deal was approved."

Uh Huh sure.

Weren’t you the guy that got off a plane because some brown people were on it?

That was a good joke I proffered. Some believed it. But you can assume whatever you like. Just makes you look stupid. I know you are one of the know it alls on VN. But if you don’t think the sanctions aren’t hurting innocent people then you need help.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol

VN Store

Back