Receptive Wide Receiver

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Seems Mike Matthews might be a bigger Squirrel White. Slippery, fly paper hands, and confidence., Maybe even a Jalin Hyatt 2.0. However, in the article below, I can't help having a slight dread for his might be needing an inoculation against the prima donna bacterium.I'm all for a confident player, but when you insist you're special, you might be stepping over the boundary. Even Kelsey thinks so.

Source:

🙄 did you even read the article? Sounds like both his feet are firmly planted

However, it can be expected that Matthews makes some sort of impact as a freshman. Until then, he is okay with developing at his own speed.

"I feel like this time is more of a developmental type of process for me," said Matthews. "I know I still have a long way to go and I know it's not easy to get playing time as a freshman. So I know I've got to develop on myself before I worry about (playing time)."

I can't wait to see how Heup uses him. Eventually I think he ends up in the 3-4 designed playcall territory. It may be halfway thru the season, but he has been showing out in spring camp so it's just a matter of time, so could be much sooner.

I totally agree with KV here, I read the statement as an astute observation by Thornton as opposed to an egocentric statement made by Matthews.

He was called “very special” by Thornton. I guess a guy who practices with Mike every day has no idea what he’s talking about.
OOOHHHHH! I guess we read the statement differently: The first thing he said about his freshman teammate is that he feels like he's 'very special.
He(1) Thornton, He(2) Matthew.s But that';s OK, humans gonna human, including you and me. I'm glad we got Mike, are you glad too?

I totally agree with KV here, I read the statement as an astute observation by Thornton as opposed to an egocentric statement made by Matthews.
I agree. He wants to win everything and gets disappointed when he doesn't. Nothing is prima Donna about that. That is internal motivation and belief. You can't coach that. Give me that all day long.

OOOHHHHH! I guess we read the statement differently: The first thing he said about his freshman teammate is that he feels like he's 'very special.
He(1) Thornton, He(2) Matthew.s But that';s OK, humans gonna human, including you and me. I'm glad we got Mike, are you glad too?
Glad you explained your logic. That statement didn't sound like you, but yeah, pronouns can be misleading (and that's without encouraging everyone pick their own individual ones).

I always say, people had what seemed like a sufficient reason for whatever they did--even if no one else understands.

Last edited:
Glad you explained your logic. That statement didn't sound like you, but yeah, pronouns can be misleading (and that's without encouraging everyone pick their own individual ones).

I always say, people had what seemed like a sufficient reason for whatever they do--even if no one else understands.
Thanks, but I have to reign in my starkness at times. I do get carried away playing with people's heads, a flaw I enjoy a bit too much at times. Problem is, on VN especially, folks are so much fun, due in large part to their almost unbridled passion, which results in some responses being transcendentally preternatural. We VN'ers are a special breed. Sometimes, we're so bad, we're very good. Funny thing is, I think Kiffin has figured that out, which is why he trolls us so much. Regarding your last comment, you X-Filed that, indeed, the truth is out there. ;)

Reactions: Just a VolinTears
Seems Mike Matthews might be a bigger Squirrel White. Slippery, fly paper hands, and confidence., Maybe even a Jalin Hyatt 2.0. However, in the article below, I can't help having a slight dread for his might be needing an inoculation against the prima donna bacterium.I'm all for a confident player, but when you insist you're special, you might be stepping over the boundary. Even Kelsey thinks so.

Source:
I read the article and the way I see it is, Donte Thornton said Matthews is special.Matthews did not say that IMO !

Loved this

Mike is highly competitive," said Pope. "Like super competitive. He hates to lose. He always wants to dominate. When he first got here, we had to control some of that because typically you won’t win every rep. You are a true freshman coming into the SEC, so we had to control some of that. He was getting frustrated when he did lose and that would lead to the next play. But he’s done an awesome job for one to compete, but two the kid is in the building every day."

Reactions: spyfish007
I read the article and the way I see it is, Donte Thornton said Matthews is special.Matthews did not say that IMO !
Being a free country, you're free to have your opinion. Me? I have one too. Cool, isn't it?

Being a free country, you're free to have your opinion. Me? I have one too. Cool, isn't it?
There is also a video of Mike Mathews being interviewed. Maybe watch that, and I think you will come away thinking that he does not sound too cocky, but rather that he acknowledges he is in early development and has a ways yet to go, though he does make reference that he once had been treated as "special" (5star recruit being courted) but now was just one of many teammates working to get better.

i don’t think he was suggesting you don’t have a right to your opinion my brother! Just his way of saying he interpreted the article differently :)
In favor of thinking, I think thinking is better than not thinking. But then, that's just my opinion.

I agree, I agree, I is, am en ebble parson.
1712256675460.png

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee

Source:
I suggest you read the article he seems very grounded. Confident and grounded, nowhere near a prima Donna type. Good grief you were way off. GBO

I can't wait to see how Heup uses him. Eventually I think he ends up in the 3-4 designed playcall territory. It may be halfway thru the season, but he has been showing out in spring camp so it's just a matter of time, so could be much sooner.
I think he will get plenty of playing time this Fall and if needed, he can play in the defensive secondary with great skill. Cain't wait to see him action.

Thanks, but I have to reign in my starkness at times. I do get carried away playing with people's heads, a flaw I enjoy a bit too much at times. Problem is, on VN especially, folks are so much fun, due in large part to their almost unbridled passion, which results in some responses being transcendentally preternatural. We VN'ers are a special breed. Sometimes, we're so bad, we're very good. Funny thing is, I think Kiffin has figured that out, which is why he trolls us so much. Regarding your last comment, you X-Filed that, indeed, the truth is out there. ;)
So you admit you troll the board?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I suggest you read the article he seems very grounded. Confident and grounded, nowhere near a prima Donna type. Good grief you were way off. GBO
I suggest you eat your hardtack and lime rinds instead of trying to drag out an argument over something not worth arguing about.
We both our Vols, doesn't mean we will always hold the same views. If you can't leave it at that, well....

I think thinking correctly is better than not thinking correctly or thinking incorrectly. :)
Though thinking is inaction, though someone may steal your pie while you're thinking, and she may never return; actually, you're not wholly wrong, but I prefer the Einstein approach. “Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”

I suggest you eat your hardtack and lime rinds instead of trying to drag out an argument over something not worth arguing about.
We both our Vols, doesn't mean we will always hold the same views. If you can't leave it at that, well....
The article in no way implied he was a prima Donna like you eluded. Them are facts! How you got prima Donna out of that is perplexing. GBO

The article in no way implied he was a prima Donna like you eluded. Them are facts! How you got prima Donna out of that is perplexing. GBO
My opinion is MY opinion, facts or non-facts notwithstanding. And no, my opinion is neither for sale, nor recategorizing. And dat thuh truff..

Last edited:

VN Store

Back