recruiting 2008

matts42012

with the rough start how will this effect this years recruits?
whats our board look like now?

well, there were boatloads of high profile recruits at the florida game, so they probably have a different outlook on UT now! :(

we might as well shut this board down, well, there is basketball to consider

Most recruits say the loss to Florida doesn't matter, but I think it's always there in the back of their minds. Obviously a down season will effect our recruiting ala 2005.

I think the recruit it could have the biggest impact on is Barrett Jones. Jones was torn between UT and Bama and considering Florida. Now that Florida dismantled us by 39 and Bama is on the rise with possibly the best coach in the SEC... i thought our chances for him before this game were slim, now I think they're slim to none.

I think the recruit it could have the biggest impact on is Barrett Jones. Jones was torn between UT and Bama and considering Florida. Now that Florida dismantled us by 39 and Bama is on the rise with possibly the best coach in the SEC... i thought our chances for him before this game were slim, now I think they're slim to none.

yea I never really expected us to win Jones in the first place

Anyone have stats on Austin Johnson this year? I heard he's tearing it up big time :rock:

Yea. it is already better... but we were looking really good with alot of high profile recruits.. with these two losses, there's no way that the blowout couldve helped our chances with these kids.. especially when half of our recruits are also lookin at Florida!

Yea. it is already better... but we were looking really good with alot of high profile recruits.. with these two losses, there's no way that the blowout couldve helped our chances with these kids.. especially when half of our recruits are also lookin at Florida!

:yes::mf_surrender:
We'll find this out for sure tomorrow with rod wilkes if he's actually announcing tomorrow. no one's really confirmed it yet

Rivals confirmed it last night. He will be announcing at 10(central I think). It is between UF, UT, and South Carolina.

Barrett is a neighbor of Jimmy Sexton (agent of Phil Fulmer and UT Alumus). Jimmy is also the agent for Saban - but that's UAT and Barrett is a smart kid looking for a good education.

Look Illinois got plenty of good recruits this past year so one game isn't going to kill us.

My only though ton the UF game vs recruiting is that those kids saw A LOT of talent in the 2-3 deep rotation and THAT may persuade them to go somewhere else for a better shot at early PT. Not saying they are in for the VOLS but I think that aspect is out there for a lot of young recruits.

According to the Rivals 250 on 9/23/07 this list is what we look like. I know its still early, but how many of these top prospects do you think we get and which ones?

Prospects:
#1 5* QB Terrelle Pryor - Medium - Top 6
#23 5* CB T.J. Bryant - Medium - Top 10
#29 5* WR Deion Walker - Medium - Bottom 11 of 14
#40 4* RB Ryan Williams - Medium - Top 11
#46 4* WR DeAndre Brown - Medium - Top 10
#48 4* WR Jameel Owens - Medium - Top 7
#55 4* OT Barrett Jones - Medium - Top 5 (in-state)
#64 4* ILB Jon Major - Medium - Top 7
#66 4* DE Robert Quinn - Medium - Top 11
#77 4* OT Antoine McClain - Medium - Top 8
#83 4* ILB Etienne Sabino - Medium - Top 9
#116 4* OLB Jerrell Harris - Medium - Top 15
#125 4* DT Stacey McGee - Medium - Top 7
#129 4* DT Lawrence Guy - Medium - Top 3 of 8
#131 4* WR Joshua Jarboe - Low - Bottom 3 of 9
#183 4* ATH A.J. Alexander - Medium - Top 5 of 6
#204 4* ILB Marlon Walls - High - Top 3 of 8
#222 4* ATH Chris Jordan - Medium - Top 7 (in-state)
#224 4* OG Kenneth Page - Medium - Top 14

Commits:
#135 4* OT Aaron Douglas - Solid Verbal (in-state)

Same question for basketball

2008 Rivals 150:

Prospects:
#16 5* SG Elliot Williams - Medium - Top 4 (in-state)
#28 5* SF Terrelle Pryor - Medium - Top 6
#33 4* SF Chris Singleton - Medium - Top 5 of 13
#57 4* SF Wesley Witherspoon - Medium - Top 17
#59 4* SF Renaldo Woolridge - High - Top 3 of 5
#61 4* PG Courtney Fortson - Medium - Middle 3 of 7
#86 4* SG Mark McLaughlin - Medium - Bottom 4 of 5
#102 3* PG Terrell Holloway - Medium - Top 6
#115 3* PF Rashanti Harris - Medium - Top 5
#124 3* SG Eshaunte Jones - Low - Bottom 4 of 9
#126 3* PG Verdell Jones - Medium - Top 11
#129 3* PF Brandon Moore - Medium - Top 11
#137 3* SF Murphy Holloway - High - Top 2 of 14

Commits:
#65 4* C Philip Jurick - Solid Verbal (in-state)

It would be awesome to land Jones. That would be three 4 star OL's all from in state. I think that alone would make this an awesome class. Anything new on him since visit to the Florida game?

"Offensive lineman Barrett Jones from Evangelical Christian in Cordova was also in Gainesville on an official visit last weekend.
"I enjoyed it," Jones said of the visit. "I'm sure that's not the best thing you can say in a Knoxville newspaper.
"It was a lot of fun. Obviously, that atmosphere down there is really good. They love it when they beat Tennessee. They were all real happy, to say the least."
So does that mean the Gators have risen among Jones top suitors?
"It definitely was a special night but I'm still going to see what the best decision is for me," said Jones, who is the News Sentinel's third-best prospect in Tennessee. "You really can't base it on one game."
Even though Jones was in Florida on business, it seemed as if it was hard to lay aside the many times he's cheered for the Vols.
"It was a tough game," Jones said. "They caught Tennessee on a bad night. It happens to the best of it."
Despite consistent rumors circulating that Jones' decision will come down to Alabama and UT, he maintains that all schools in his top five (UT, Alabama, Florida, North Carolina and Vanderbilt) are all even.
UT's next chance to impress Jones will come Oct. 6 when Georgia comes to Knoxville. The actual game may not be as important to Jones as the overall experience. But that doesn't mean another lopsided loss will be easily overlooked.
The Vols will be up for inspection once again on Oct. 20, when UT plays at Alabama.
Jones will be there, on hand to inspect the two teams many believe lead for his services.
"It's not really about who wins one game," he said. "It's definitely going to be a battle like it is every year.
"I can't really say whoever wins that game is where I'm going, because that's certainly not true. Obviously, it will be a good game and a chance to see two teams I'm interested in."
The Vols will face an uphill battle to make a solid impression on Jones in Tuscaloosa.
Not only will the Vols have the crowd against them, they'll also see Jones surrounded by his extended family, much of whom still live in Alabama, and his father, Rex Jones, who played basketball for the Crimson Tide.
Not a bad home field recruiting advantage.
Whether it comes against Georgia or Alabama, UT will soon need a big win to boost its 2008 recruiting class. Prospects, like fans, have questions.
Credit UT with landing a top prospect while still in the shadows of the Florida debacle. Securing a commitment from Smyrna receiver Rod Wilks on Wednesday was no small feat.
UT's efforts weren't lost on Jones.
"If you take a week off in recruiting, you're dead," Jones said of the Vols. "They're still out there looking for the best players they can get."-govolsextra

is there any recruits that we might get that we thought we had no chance with (like Ben Martin). any commitments on the horizon?

Simi Kuli DE apparently the #1 JUCO player in the nation list us...whats the story on him?

VN Store

Back