Recruiting Is Over Rated

Volsaholic

Recruiting is over rated

If you end up at the top of the list, you’re expected to be BCS bound. You can take all the talent in the world, and if you fail to make a team out of them it doesn't matter. I personally like to be the under-dog. When UT started to top all the lists, I looked back at the history, and found it’s more important to have players stay through their senior year than having the best recruiting class. I’d rather have Phil Fulmer focus on the kids who are committed to UT, rather than the self-absorbed heroes.

If the kids aren't grounded enough to stay focused that long, the media turns them into celebrities before they play their first game.

One of Phil’s toughest jobs is to keep these kids focused. The media would have eaten up the Ainge-Schaeffer story if Phil was a media whore. I give him a lot of credit for keeping it out of their grasp. An ego-maniac would have played right into their hands.

Great post. For too many people recruiting has become something resembling Fantasy Football.

I think in a couple of years...We'll show everyone who has the real number one class of '05

Originally posted by Volsguy12@Feb 2, 2005 10:53 PM
I think in a couple of years...We'll show everyone who has the real number one class of '05

Phil Fulmer gets no respect, but ESPN of all sources gave him some.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1981413

However, I respect Phil the most because, he takes all the blame and none of the credit. When times are bad it's all on him, when times are good he has no problem passing the credit around

Originally posted by Volsaholic@Feb 2, 2005 11:02 PM

That was written by Chris Low, so it really doesn't count as a showing of respect from ESPN.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood+Feb 2, 2005 11:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Orangewhiteblood &#064; Feb 2, 2005 11:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Volsaholic@Feb 2, 2005 11:02 PM

That was written by Chris Low, so it really doesn&#39;t count as a showing of respect from ESPN.[/quote]
Yeah I know, but how often does Phil get postive headlines and an ESPN website to boot.

Originally posted by Volsaholic@Feb 2, 2005 11:41 PM
That was written by Chris Low, so it really doesn&#39;t count as a showing of respect from ESPN.

Yeah I know, but how often does Phil get postive headlines and an ESPN website to boot. [/quote]
Never&#33;

Yeah Phil is a great coach.....and recruiting is overrated.....cause not all recruits pan out.....but we do have a great class according to the numbers......so keep it up Phil and good luck this year..... :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

what happens if a recruit does not sign today?..I noticed Ricky still hasnt signed

This is just the first day that recruits can sign with the school they want to....so they still got some time left....

Recruiting may be over-rated BUT, after the talent drop off since 99&#39; I am ready to try it the way we did in the mid 90&#39;s and beyond. :question: Don&#39;t you agree?

VN Store

Back