Regarding our defense 2013

1SmokinVol

I DO NOT put any stock into what our defense did last year relative to how we will perform this year. Last year was Buddy Hackett leading the keystone cops. I do think a better reference would be 2011 where we were ranked 28th nationally. Ranking any position on this Defense based on last year, which is what most of these sportswriters are doing is shortsighted. The 4-3 will make us immediately better. Our safeties are pretty good, Linebackers with a healthy Maggit and Brewer's move should be pretty good, D line with our anchor Mr. Mccullers should be decent. Real ?
is at corner, Coleman, damn after 3 years of SEC play he should be improved, the other side? Maybe Ryland Jones the Juco???
What say you??????

Reactions: 1 person
I think we'll rush far more in 2013 and hopefully more effectively than we did in 2012. That will aid the defense in and of itself. There were so many glaring problems on the 2012 team that didn't immediately have to do with a spectacular Defensive staff. A bad DC mixed in with an overhaul to the 3-4 with little/no talent for that defensive style mixed in with a pass first/second/third/fourth Offense? Recipe for the disaster that we got.

Also, I believe that the defense this year has more depth and talent on it, while not an ideal level, than Wilcox's 2011 defense did.

Reactions: 4 people
I tend to agree with what you're saying. For example, in 2010 Michigan was ranked right around 100th overall in team defense. In 2011, Michigan was ranked in the mid 20's in total team defense and last year they were ranked 13th overall in team defense. They had roughly the same players throughout those years, the difference came by switching coordinators (schemes). I am not looking for us to have best D in the country by any means, but I do believe there will be a significant difference

Reactions: 3 people
I think we'll rush far more in 2013 and hopefully more effectively than we did in 2012. That will aid the defense in and of itself. There were so many glaring problems on the 2012 team that didn't immediately have to do with a spectacular Defensive staff. A bad DC mixed in with an overhaul to the 3-4 with little/no talent for that defensive style mixed in with a pass first/second/third/fourth Offense? Recipe for the disaster that we got.

Also, I believe that the defense this year has more depth and talent on it, while not an ideal level, than Wilcox's 2011 defense did.

Good post.

I mean honestly where else could our defense go but up. We didn't have the players for the scheme, the coaching was horrendous, and we had injuries at key positions. This year I believe our coaching will be 100% improved over last yr, we are back to the 4-3 which most of these guys have played their entire careers, so the transition shouldn't be hard, and as of the start of fall camp we shouldn't have any injuries. I'm not saying our defense will be lights out or anything, but we should see vast improvement over last yr

I am convinced that last year's staff had a give-a-$hit ratio of somewhere less than 0:infinity. They just didn't care. The on the field personnel were not great but they were far from awful. However, their performances matched their coaches and it got awful. The staff changes alone will make a huge difference.

Reactions: 1 person
I DO NOT put any stock into what our defense did last year relative to how we will perform this year. Last year was Buddy Hackett leading the keystone cops. I do think a better reference would be 2011 where we were ranked 28th nationally. Ranking any position on this Defense based on last year, which is what most of these sportswriters are doing is shortsighted. The 4-3 will make us immediately better. Our safeties are pretty good, Linebackers with a healthy Maggit and Brewer's move should be pretty good, D line with our anchor Mr. Mccullers should be decent. Real ?
is at corner, Coleman, damn after 3 years of SEC play he should be improved, the other side? Maybe Ryland Jones the Juco???
What say you??????

I'll be interested if Maggitt stays at linebacker or goes to Leo defensive end and then move Smith to Strong Side Defensive End.

VN Store

Back