Remember Desmond Yates

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
He was rumored to be signing with Tennessee that same week we signed Childress but it didn't work out.

ust when it appears the deepest recruiting class in recent Blue Raider hoops history is finally intact, one more piece is added.

Desmond Yates recently inked to play basketball at MTSU after turning away late recruiting runs from Tennessee and Ole Miss.

Yates, a Fayette-Ware High product from Somerville near Memphis, serves as the fifth true freshmen to join the Blue Raiders' 2005 class, which also includes Kevin Kanaskie, Theryn Hudson, Darren Avery, Deno Hair and Calvin O'Neil.

Redshirt freshman forward Brian Lake will also count as a first-year player after sitting out most of the 2004 season due to an injury.

Three other junior college transfers have signed with MTSU, and previously signed standout Tim Blue will also make his debut in the upcoming season.

"I feel really good about all our young players, and we made the commitment that we were going to bring in a bunch of new guys," said MTSU coach Kermit Davis. "It's better for us in the long haul to build a nice base."

Yates was previously reported as verbally committing to Tennessee and new Vols coach Bruce Pearl. Nevertheless, Yates said familiarity played a major role in his final decision.

"I just get a great feel from being here," said Yates, who is already enrolled in summer school at MTSU. "(Davis and assistant coach Matt Woodley) had recruited me for a long time, and so I was familiar with just about everything.

"I liked the coaches and the environment around the team here, but I really didn't know about all the other new guys. There's a lot of young guys on this team."

A versatile 6-foot-6 forward, Yates averaged 19 points, seven rebounds and four blocks per game as a senior last season, leading Fayette-Ware to a 21-6 record.

He played at least four positions for Larry Ransom's Wildcats and may project to multiple spots as a Blue Raider.

"I've played just about everywhere, but I like to post up and shoot the ball, too," said Yates, who was twice named to The Commercial Appeal's Best of the Preps list. "This has been a real good experience, and the (MTSU) coaches showed me a long time ago that they wanted me on this team."

Kermit Davis is known as a pretty good recruiter/judge of talent. However, I would rather have the scholarship to use on the Class of '06

VN Store

Back