Retreat Salaries at UT

VolunteerHillbilly

Spike Drinks, Not Trees
http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...rmer-administrators-who-now-faculty/97890080/

Anyone else read this? Basically, adjusted to a monthly salary figure Cheek will get paid the same to teach as he was getting to be Chancellor for as long as he stays on staff.

Is the UTBOT completely a puppet of the faculty and administration? I'm starting to understand some of the grumbling in the statehouse over disconnect and apparent lack of oversight up there. This news may unleash some dire consequences.

Reactions: 3 people
They all have tenure. Terrible practice. I am sure the other faculty are thrilled to have them come back making that kind of money. 😑

Reactions: 1 person
Academic tenure is one of the greatest scams/rackets in existence.

I disagree. Elementary and high school teachers need tenure or the school would fire 75% of their teachers a year due to state mandated test the students take every year then the teacher gets graded by the kids test grade. It doesn't matter if the teacher has 6 kids with ADHD in her class, or half the class acts like idiots and don't care what they make. My mom has taught for 30 years and she's fed up with it now. Common core and senseless evaluations. She teaches 3rd grade and 4 out of the 20 students have ADHD and there's another one who is autistic and they expect her to have the same test scores as the class across the hallway who has absolutely zero students with a learning disability.

Reactions: 2 people
I assume that the BOT had to sign off on these contracts. I have some experience with boards and I understand that if you're appointed to something of this nature you can either become an expert which takes a lot of time an effort or you can rely on the expertise of your staff who are generally part of whatever agency it is that you're supposed to be directing. It just seems like Cheek, Dipietro and others somehow sold the board that this was something they needed to do where if a trustee had just picked up the telephone and called most any other state university in the region they would've found that this is not business as usual.

Reactions: 3 people
Well it seems this administration is good about taking care of themselves that's for sure. They don't mind throwing money around amongst each other.

Tennessee pays millions to administrators-turned-faculty

Anyone else read this? Basically, adjusted to a monthly salary figure Cheek will get paid the same to teach as he was getting to be Chancellor for as long as he stays on staff.

Is the UTBOT completely a puppet of the faculty and administration? I'm starting to understand some of the grumbling in the statehouse over disconnect and apparent lack of oversight up there. This news may unleash some dire consequences.

Had it come from a news source other than the Tennessean? They have already proven themselves a rabble rousing rag. Why read them now, especially anything they write about UT?

Well it seems this administration is good about taking care of themselves that's for sure. They don't mind throwing money around amongst each other.

Currie's contract
Bonuses to admin
Settlements
Etc. Etc.

Increased tuition
Tickets prices
Donation requirements re said tickets
Etc. Etc.

Wonder if there is any correlation?

I don't like the Cheek deal, but when it comes to rising tuition etc., you guys are ignoring the drastic drop in public (state) funding for state universities.

It used to be considered good for a state to have well-educated college graduates; thus the state support for higher education.

I don't like the Cheek deal, but when it comes to rising tuition etc., you guys are ignoring the drastic drop in public (state) funding for state universities.

It used to be considered good for a state to have well-educated college graduates; thus the state support for higher education.

Is it not considered good anymore?

Dunno, but I tend to equate what the legislature votes money for as what they consider good. aka, money talks
The money is there, and then some, in the form of lottery funded scholarships that did not exist until relatively recently. The more "free" money the students bring with them, the more the tuition seems to increase. It's like trying to feed a tapeworm that has its own tapeworm. The sources may be different, but they're getting way more funds than they ever have. They just can't adjust to life on a budget apparently.

The same as any big business. The CEO or whatever retires and becomes a high paid "consultant".

Dunno, but I tend to equate what the legislature votes money for as what they consider good. aka, money talks

Yea, the construction on campus really shows signs of a lack of funding.

Ill also add that I think 529s are one of the worst things to happen in terms of keeping higher education affordable.

Is it not considered good anymore?

It's a situation of the ability of an education to pay for itself. Used to be a college graduate would recieve a higher quality occupation thus reciever higher income. Now, it takes so long for it to pay for itself that it may not be valuable.

VN Store

Back