Rewatched the 2022 Bama game ......

sami

... in its entirety for the first time since that night. I've gotten so sick of all the NIL, transfer and recruiting talk that I felt a need to get back to why we all expend so much passion in this stuff. Some observations, none of which are breaking new ground, but anyway ...

* There is no better big game stadium atmosphere and setting than Neyland Stadium. Tennessee being an elite program is good for CFB.

* Heupel's offense, with an accurate and mobile QB and some weapons at WR and RB, is lethal. We saw how it struggled at times this season with a not so accurate passer and WR's who could not get separation and dropped a lot of balls. If Nico is close to as good as we think, and with Brazzell and Mathews on the way and a solid RB room, this offense has the potential to be as good or better as 2022 if the OL depth holds up.

* Banks played almost exclusively press coverage in the Bama game and blitzed regularly. I believe the soft coverage was due to his lack of confidence in the DB's, and I expect to see him go back to being aggressive as the talent improves in the secondary.

* Keyton should have kept #80, he looked like a better player. Funny, though, he did the same thing in the Bama game on a go route as he did in the Citrus Bowl, quitting on the route and costing Hooker a TD pass.

* Bryce Young is as great a college QB as I've seen, and I've been watching CFB for 50+ years. If he didn't lose both of his WR's in 2021 he beats UGa in the title game, and the game he played against UT while taking a beating all day was off the charts.

* It's too bad that Jeremy Banks was such an a-hole, because he was the heart and soul of the 2022 defense.

* This was not a game where we could complain about any pro-Bama officiating (edit: other than the awful PI call that handed them a TD), as penalties killed them all day, and really cost them the game in many ways. The interference call on 4th down when we were down 7 with a few minutes left was sketchy, and it kept the game alive.

* Everyone is so busy being glad to be rid of Danielson, but we're going to be sorry when we see the dreck we'll be getting. While ESPN is a network with a northern and Big 10 bias, CBS revered the SEC, and Danielson, for all his faults, truly loved the league. There was zero anti-Vol bias in this game, quite the contrary - I don't think there ever was, but we were so bad for the last decade maybe it seemed that way. Brad Nessler is the best CFB play by play guy around today, and funny, his call of the winning kick was head and shoulders better than Kesling's bland call.

* This game was everything that is great about not only CFB, but all sports - riveting from beginning to end, with amazing performances from both teams.

* I had tears in my eyes at the finish ... again.

Last edited:
... in its entirety for the first time since that night. I've gotten so sick of all the NIL, transfer and recruiting talk that I felt a need to get back to why we all expend so much passion in this stuff. Some observations, none of which are breaking new ground, but anyway ...

* There is no better big game stadium atmosphere and setting than Neyland Stadium. Tennessee being an elite program is good for CFB.

* Heupel's offense, with an accurate and mobile QB and some weapons at WR and RB, is lethal. We saw how it struggled at times this season with a not so accurate passer and WR's who could not get separation and dropped a lot of balls. If Nico is close to as good as we think, and with Brazzell and Mathews on the way and a solid RB room, this offense has the potential to be as good as 2022 if the OL depth holds up.

* Banks played almost exclusively press coverage in the Bama game and blitzed regularly. I believe the soft coverage was due to his lack of confidence in the DB's, and I expect to see him go back to being aggressive as the talent improves in the secondary.

* Keyton should have kept #80, he looked like a better player. Funny, though, he did the same thing in the Bama game on a go route as he did in the Citrus Bowl, quitting on the route and costing Hooker a TD pass.

* Bryce Young is as great a college QB as I've seen, and I've been watching CFB for 50+ years. If he didn't lose both of his WR's in 2021 he beats UGa in the title game, and the game he played against UT while taking a beating all day was off the charts.

* It's too bad that Jeremy Banks was such an a-hole, because he was the heart and soul of the 2022 defense.

* This was not a game where we could complain about any pro-Bama officiating, as penalties killed them all day, and really cost them the game in many ways. The interference call on 4th down when we were down 7 with a few minutes left was sketchy, and it kept the game alive.

* Everyone is so busy being glad to be rid of Danielson, but we're going to be sorry when we see the dreck we'll be getting. While ESPN is a network with a northern and Big 10 bias, CBS revered the SEC, and Danielson, for all his faults, truly loved the league. There was zero anti-Vol bias in this game, quite the contrary - I don't think there ever was, but we were so bad for the last decade maybe it seemed that way. Brad Nessler is the best CFB play by play guy around today, and funny, but his call of the winning kick was head and shoulders better than Kesling's bland call.

* This game was everything that is great about not only CFB, but all sports - riveting from beginning to end, with amazing performances from both teams.

Agree with all this except the 4th down call. Did you not see Princeton Fant being hugged down to the ground by the Bama defender? Also, they had a TD given to them when their WR drug Rucker down in the endzone. Yeah they actually called penalties on Bama that game, but they sure as hell made up for it in Tuscaloosa this past year!

Agree with all this except the 4th down call. Did you not see Princeton Fant being hugged down to the ground by the Bama defender? Also, they had a TD given to them when their WR drug Rucker down in the endzone. Yeah they actually called penalties on Bama that game, but they sure as hell made up for it in Tuscaloosa this past year!

Oh, no doubt. The refs were kind of letting them play all day, which made the PI kind of a weak call even though it was legitimate. Nessler and Danielson initially thought the call was a block in the back on the INT return.

Yeah, I meant to mention that PI call on UT, just a hideous missed call that might have cost us the game. The announcers pretty much said it was actually offensive PI.

Great post!

Agree with everything except Danielson. With Gary, its never that UT was doing something well, it was always AL or GA or whomever was doing something bad.

You are right in your observations of him, and I do agree UT has been dreadful enough to warrant…but he’s still such a gross homer, he’s hard to stomach.

As for me, I’m glad he’s gone.

Great post!

Agree with everything except Danielson. With Gary, its never that UT was doing something well, it was always AL or GA or whomever was doing something bad.

You are right in your observations of him, and I do agree UT has been dreadful enough to warrant…but he’s still such a gross homer, he’s hard to stomach.

As for me, I’m glad he’s gone.

He was worth dealing with just for Nessler, who is as good as they come. Wait until you get a few weeks of Fowler, Herbstreit, and that bunch, you'll be crying for Danielson. At least he loved the league, always referring to it as "our league" - ESPN showed their true colors in the '97 Heisman race and some of Fowler's comments over the years.

Reactions: jhcrane14
I was watching the Wa / Texas semi and Penix performance reminded me so much of Hooker I watched highlights from TN / Bama on YouTube instead of finishing the game.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

* Heupel's offense, with an accurate and mobile QB and some weapons at WR and RB, is lethal. We saw how it struggled at times this season with a not so accurate passer and WR's who could not get separation and dropped a lot of balls. If Nico is close to as good as we think, and with Brazzell and Mathews on the way and a solid RB room, this offense has the potential to be as good as 2022 if the OL depth holds up.

* This was not a game where we could complain about any pro-Bama officiating, as penalties killed them all day, and really cost them the game in many ways. The interference call on 4th down when we were down 7 with a few minutes left was sketchy, and it kept the game alive.

* Everyone is so busy being glad to be rid of Danielson, but we're going to be sorry when we see the dreck we'll be getting. While ESPN is a network with a northern and Big 10 bias, CBS revered the SEC, and Danielson, for all his faults, truly loved the league. There was zero anti-Vol bias in this game, quite the contrary - I don't think there ever was, but we were so bad for the last decade maybe it seemed that way. Brad Nessler is the best CFB play by play guy around today, and funny, but his call of the winning kick was head and shoulders better than Kesling's bland call.

Some people have a movie or series that they've watched over and over/ put on in the background because it gives them comfort. For me it's this game. I have no idea how many times it's been played in our house. Me and my best friend just toss it on while we're hanging out or listening to music. Anyways, my girlfriend and I are in the process of moving, and I've watched it 3 times over the past week while packing. Suffice to say, she's pretty over it.

Some people have a movie or series that they've watched over and over/ put on in the background because it gives them comfort. For me it's this game. I have no idea how many times it's been played in our house. Me and my best friend just toss it on while we're hanging out or listening to music. Anyways, my girlfriend and I are in the process of moving, and I've watched it 3 times over the past week while packing. Suffice to say, she's pretty over it.

I'm not one to watch games over again normally, but this is one I'll go back to again - it's that special. I was at the '82 Bama game as a student, and this one was similar in feeling, a once in a generation type event.

I'm not one to watch games over again normally, but this is one I'll go back to again - it's that special. I was at the '82 Bama game as a student, and this one was similar in feeling, a once in a generation type event.
Yup. Most of my local friends never cared about college ball. That is until I forced them all to come to my Bama watch party. I didn't take no for an answer. After seeing the Pitt, Florida and LSU games, I felt something id never experienced as a young vols fan: genuine optimism. Something told me we were going to win and I wanted my friends to be there for it. I smoked 5 racks of ribs, had 3 crock pots going, 2 fridges packed to the gills, and enough cigars to go around. We then watched one of the greatest football games of all time, and the vols got about a dozen new fans. Screw it, I'm throwing it on while I drink my coffee. My girlfriend can deal

Last edited:
I was watching the Wa / Texas semi and Penix performance reminded me so much of Hooker I watched highlights from TN / Bama on YouTube instead of finishing the game.
Sadly he confirmed that Pruitt pulled his scholarship in favor of JT Shrout. Pruitt is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Yup. Most of my local friends never cared about college ball. That is until I forced them all to come to my Bama watch party. I didn't take no for an answer. After seeing the Pitt, Florida and LSU games, I felt something id never experienced as a young vols fan: genuine optimism. Something told me we were going to win and I wanted my friends to be there for it. I smoked 5 racks of ribs, had 3 crock pots going, 2 fridges packed to the gills, and enough cigars to go around. We then watched one of the greatest football games of all time, and the vols got about a dozen new fans. Screw it, I'm throwing it on while I drink my coffee. My girlfriend can deal

You did it right! The only thing I didn't do last night was to light a cigar. I'll have to rectify that today.

“Funny, though, he did the same thing in the Bama game on a go route as he did in the Citrus Bowl, quitting on the route and costing Hooker a TD pass.”

Keyton did this repeatedly during his career. Blew a TD against Missouri doing it last year. Pulled up short against Clemson on one deep ball. Did it against aTm and a few other games this year (then our fans would howl about “Overthrow Joe” when Joe made a perfect throw).

Bottom line, Keyton couldn’t judge and track a deep ball. He was the worst I’ve ever seen at Tennessee about misjudging a long ball. It was like watching a little league kid try to track an outfield fly ball. That position is about be be hugely upgraded.

I came into town three times that season from idaho. Caught the Florida, lsu, and bama game. It was one hell of a ride that season. Hoping next year has a similar feel with Nico at qb.

Penix is a better QB than Hooker

* Heupel's offense, with an accurate and mobile QB and some weapons at WR and RB, is lethal. We saw how it struggled at times this season with a not so accurate passer and WR's who could not get separation and dropped a lot of balls. If Nico is close to as good as we think, and with Brazzell and Mathews on the way and a solid RB room, this offense has the potential to be as good or better as 2022 if the OL depth holds up.

* This was not a game where we could complain about any pro-Bama officiating (edit: other than the awful PI call that handed them a TD), as penalties killed them all day, and really cost them the game in many ways. The interference call on 4th down when we were down 7 with a few minutes left was sketchy, and it kept the game alive.

* Everyone is so busy being glad to be rid of Danielson, but we're going to be sorry when we see the dreck we'll be getting. While ESPN is a network with a northern and Big 10 bias, CBS revered the SEC, and Danielson, for all his faults, truly loved the league. There was zero anti-Vol bias in this game, quite the contrary - I don't think there ever was, but we were so bad for the last decade maybe it seemed that way. Brad Nessler is the best CFB play by play guy around today, and funny, his call of the winning kick was head and shoulders better than Kesling's bland call.

That was the rare Bama game where they didn’t get the calls and holding was actually called. All day our team was hyped and talking smack and bringing the fight to Bama, we were the intimidators and it was beautiful to see.

By the way, the 4th down PI was legit.

IMG_4869.jpeg

Reactions: livefaith
That was the rare Bama game where they didn’t get the calls and holding was actually called. All day our team was hyped and talking smack and bringing the fight to Bama, we were the intimidators and it was beautiful to see.

By the way, the 4th down PI was legit.

View attachment 608082

I'm not saying it wasn't, but there were much more egregious examples of PI that weren't called during the game. That picture makes it look like Fant was tackled, which was hardly the case. But letter of the law, definitely PI, and thank goodness.

Ive probably rewatched it at least 10 times...I actually went home after rushing the field that night and rewatched it with the family. Agree with everything you said, incredible game from start to finish

VN Store

Back