Rhinoplasty/Septoplasty

Ha, I wish. I had one to help me breath. The right side of my nose was about 90% blocked due to how badly my septum was deviated.

I had it too. It helped tremendously but the recovery was rough. Pulling the tampons out of your nose with blood crusted scabs attached to your nose hair was horrible.

Ha, I wish. I had one to help me breath. The right side of my nose was about 90% blocked due to how badly my septum was deviated.

No means No!!!!

:)

My brother had this done while in the Air Force. Made a huge difference for him. Good luck my friend.

I had it done because I broke my nose in a wreck, and they said it messed my septum up. I agree with the comment on here about that crap being pulled out of the sinus cavity. I hated it.

If it's purely for aesthetic reasons then I wouldn't get it done unless you have an absolute beak cause it's a waste of money. I think people should be comfortable in their own skin and if someone doesn't find a particular feature that you have attractive then f*** 'em.

But for broken noses or breathing problems then go right ahead.

Reactions: 1 person
Never had rhinoplasty but had septoplasty and turbinate reduction. Amazing how much air was coming in through my nose after that! I had never realized how constricted that air flow was. I was always aware of how deviated my septum was -- always assumed it must have been broken at some point. Don't remember a specific incident but it was punched and bloodied enough growing up, I figured one of those times may have done it.

Anyway, the only downside was it seemed there was a mild increase in, uh, nasal debris afterward. I guess all that extra air flow dries a little more snot into boogers. Worth the tradeoff though.

Had the septoplasty twice along with turbinate reduction. Cured the chronic sinus headaches and let me breath easier. Problem was the anesthesia always makes me sick. Try vomiting with a nose stuffed full of cotton.

Knew a girl in NC that got toxic shock in the snoot while recovering from the same procedure. The cotton packing soaked in neosporin is a lot to tolerate.

Reactions: volwindy
I got my stints removed this morning. They didn't use the "tampons" in my nose post-surgery, they used rubber stints that are tube-like so you can drain easier.

It was still pretty gross removing them, but honestly the worst part was taking out the stitching that held them in. That hurt way more than I thought it would.

So far I'm already breathing better and my nose is a lot straighter. Doctor said it would be a few weeks before it's totally healed, and it's still pretty sensitive to the touch, but I think it was worth it.

Reactions: 1 person
I got my stints removed this morning. They didn't use the "tampons" in my nose post-surgery, they used rubber stints that are tube-like so you can drain easier.

It was still pretty gross removing them, but honestly the worst part was taking out the stitching that held them in. That hurt way more than I thought it would.

So far I'm already breathing better and my nose is a lot straighter. Doctor said it would be a few weeks before it's totally healed, and it's still pretty sensitive to the touch, but I think it was worth it.

I had those tampons, and a flat stint with like a straw on each side. It all hurt coming out.

Septoplasty is the only ENT nasal/sinus surgery that I think actually works. Balloon sinus surgery and the like all come back for more.

Just bumping this thread.

I'm having quite a bit of constant pain/sinus headaches. Went to the ENT this week and noticed two areas of significant inflammation - started two medications today for the next three weeks.

Doctor also noted severe right septal deviation. So I'm curious if anyone else has had successful surgeries and still feel good or if they've had more issues after?

Reactions: VolNExile
I had it 18 years ago. Wasn’t as bad as I had in my mind it would be. Nose was sensitive to the touch for 6 months (or it seemed like it). After splints were taken out, I had significant more airflow in my nostrils but still had headaches.

It was my eyes causing the headaches.

Looking back, I would do it again as breathing more air after just two weeks of recovery, was eye opening and I’m sure it helped with my sinus issues but did not cure them.

Just bumping this thread.

I'm having quite a bit of constant pain/sinus headaches. Went to the ENT this week and noticed two areas of significant inflammation - started two medications today for the next three weeks.

Doctor also noted severe right septal deviation. So I'm curious if anyone else has had successful surgeries and still feel good or if they've had more issues after?
Pretty much the same as barknoxbrawler. I did look a lot like Bill Clinton for 4-5 days after, which was pretty distressing, but it faded.

I walked between two Little League pitchers warming up back when I was in third grade and caught a ball on the left side of my nose, winding up with a pretty deviated septum. (This was many years before I developed asthma as an adult after a bout of pneumonia.) It was great for a while, as with determination, I could bring on an impressive nosebleed and get a free trip to the cot in the school nurse's office, but once that wore off, it was definitely a hindrance.

I also have a fairly narrow nose (on the outside), and my nasal passages were (and are) narrow enough when my allergies aren't going berserk. It definitely helped just regular breathing, and I had fewer sinus infections for many years. After 25 or so years, I'm back to sniffing and snorting and Kleenexing most of the year, but even then, it usually doesn't involve my sinuses very much. I'd definitely say it was worth it.

Pretty much the same as barknoxbrawler. I did look a lot like Bill Clinton for 4-5 days after, which was pretty distressing, but it faded.

I walked between two Little League pitchers warming up back when I was in third grade and caught a ball on the left side of my nose, winding up with a pretty deviated septum. (This was many years before I developed asthma as an adult after a bout of pneumonia.) It was great for a while, as with determination, I could bring on an impressive nosebleed and get a free trip to the cot in the school nurse's office, but once that wore off, it was definitely a hindrance.

I also have a fairly narrow nose (on the outside), and my nasal passages were (and are) narrow enough when my allergies aren't going berserk. It definitely helped just regular breathing, and I had fewer sinus infections for many years. After 25 or so years, I'm back to sniffing and snorting and Kleenexing most of the year, but even then, it usually doesn't involve my sinuses very much. I'd definitely say it was worth it.
My sister recommended it to help with breathing and help lesson the times and amount of symptoms. When she said that, I was like I don't have issues with breathing, but I guess I don't think about it each time I randomly breathe through the mouth.

Reactions: VolNExile
I had some surgery done as a kid to repair my deviated septum. I don't know what, it involved splints is all I remember. I still feel like I only get good air flow from one nostril. didn't help with the sinus issues I was having/still do.

Had septoplasty 17 years ago. Used to have one side stop up all the time. While I still have allergies and post-nasal drip sometimes, I would definitely do it again!
Had septoplasty twice and smr of turbinates. Differently helped air flow and decreased sinus infections. Still get sinus related migraines. Recovery wasn’t too bad. Wasn’t packed either time.

VN Store

Back